What is YOUR pet peeve? Let's have a laugh.

Paid surveys. I've been using a particular site for less than a week and have made close to $60 already. I'm loving that part. What annoys me is to click on a survey that just popped up and be told "this survey is closed." Then you get a survey that opens up a new tab, closes it just as quick and you get a message saying "you did not qualify for this survey." How do you know? You didn't even ask me a question!

On a more trivial note, why does it seem that more and more people are pronouncing the word "nuclear" as "nucular"? With the proliferation of North Korea stories in the news lately, I'm noticing this a lot, and it's coming from educated people, people who would otherwise appear to have a good handle on the English language, people I thought I respected. What gives?

On a more trivial note, why does it seem that more and more people are pronouncing the word "nuclear" as "nucular"? With the proliferation of North Korea stories in the news lately, I'm noticing this a lot, and it's coming from educated people, people who would otherwise appear to have a good handle on the English language, people I thought I respected. What gives?
Excessive Radiation?

Plan A is To tell them when they ring is the name of the person they are asking for has Died.

I used to keep the records for the Alumni office at a state university. We had a "telefund" program where student workers would call alumni to ask for a gift, no more than once a year. One year, the number of of calls that resulted in reports that the alumnus had passed away spiked. Evidently, someone had put out the word that the best way to get a telemarketer off the phone is to tell them that the party they were calling had died. Once we figured it out, we started double-checking all death reports from the telefund with another source. Before we figured it out....

I had a few phone calls the following year or two where an alumnus would call, complaining that we had stopped mailing them the alumni magazine. After looking up their record in the database, I was able to tell them it was because last time we called you, the person that answered told us that you were dead,

Well this one's traffic related.

Checked thread to see if already mentioned...but couldn't find it in the postings.

Anyways, while on the way home today, which is rural-like so posted limit is at 80km/50mph, but most of us do 90 if you can see on ahead. The farmers pretty well do the posted 80km on the button. Part of their culture, I guess?

So, here I am doing the accepted local 90, and there's this impatient gal catches up to me, and who wants to play bumper tag with me...but there are no bumpers these days! She's so close I can see the colour of the lipstick she has on. Instead of passing me, as I know she's just dying to do, she waits until a small hill comes up, and we going into double solid lines, and now she wants to pass! On the start of the hill! It ain't a big hill, but you can't see if someone's coming from the other way, and it's only a two lane highway.

As she comes along side, I slam on the brakes, and it was a GD good move on my part, as over the hill comes the proverbial farmer 1/2 ton. She cranks right in front of me just in time to avoid the crash, and the oncoming guy's expression told it all. He was something scared. Both were within a second or two from death's door, and I probably would have been a residual part of the whole affair. And ya know, this is happening more and more on this road it seems.

I was gonna try to catch up to this "IDGASh#it" driver, but would have had to really floor in order to catch her. I WAS tempted, but reason took over. I just fumed, spit out teeth filings and went on my way.

This was not a pet peeve... this was a major one for me!

Q

Last edited:
People who buy things from me on ebay and claim to have "just opened the box" like a month later. Or several months later, and decide they want a refund. And me not being able to tell them anything but "sure, take my money!"

I'm at the market today doing the weekly grocery shopping - I've got a medium sized cart load, already on the belt.

The lines are slow today - no baggers for some reason.

I've already been waiting 10 minutes, and then I get the 'stink eye' from someone behind me with about 4 items in a basket as if I should just let them go ahead of me. They *must* be more important than me, right?

Nope.

Back
Top Bottom