I got a Soundsmith level 2 stylus on a DL-110

Zvezda

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
It was time to replace or retip my DL-110, so I decided to send my backup cartridge into Soundsmith to try the level 2 retip. This is the line contact stylus with a sapphire cantilever. It wasn't much more expensive than a new DL-110, and I was happy enough with that cartridge that I wasn't looking for anything else. I'm happy to report that it was absolutely worth it and it's elevated the performance of the DL-110 well beyond what I was expecting. It retains its even tonal balance but has vastly improved stereo separation and high frequency performance, especially in inner grooves. The slight congestion I used to hear on the inner grooves is completely gone.

Long story short, if you're considering this retip on a DL-110, I'd highly recommend going this route.

Thanks for that input. I really love that cart. It's over shadowed by higher end carts like DV's at 4 time it's current price, but it is a real fine sounding and balanced cart. Can you believe I got a load of them from comet supply while they were $87 a pop? I miss those days and cherish what I salvaged from back then. It's nice to have a retip option that's proved successful. I may use that tip! :thumbsup:

It was time to replace or retip my DL-110, so I decided to send my backup cartridge into Soundsmith to try the level 2 retip. This is the line contact stylus with a sapphire cantilever. It wasn't much more expensive than a new DL-110, and I was happy enough with that cartridge that I wasn't looking for anything else. I'm happy to report that it was absolutely worth it and it's elevated the performance of the DL-110 well beyond what I was expecting. It retains its even tonal balance but has vastly improved stereo separation and high frequency performance, especially in inner grooves. The slight congestion I used to hear on the inner grooves is completely gone.
Long story short, if you're considering this retip on a DL-110, I'd highly recommend going this route.

I did exactly the same thing with my Denon DL-160 and posted it in the forum. The sound quality is outstanding! And I hate to say it but it easily compares to my Sound-Smith Boheme which lists for around $1200..... The retip is absolutely worth the money and time.

Good to know. Thanks for the report. I have and love the DL110. Was wondering how I would replace it when it's time (not for a long time). This is a good option. The fact that it makes it even better is icing on the cake.

Back
Top Bottom