Recieved my darTZeel NHB-108 copy from China

mjw21a

Ok I recieved my darTZeel NHB-108 copy today. I must say that I've never seen something so well packed before. It would really take a bit to damage it the way it was packed. Took near a half hour to get it unboxed. Weighs an absolute tonne.

After first power on there was noticeable hum in the transformer and through speakers which disappeared after 5 minutes or so. I believe the power capacitors take a week or so to fully charge.

First impressions were.... Why did I change from the Quad. Another half hour and it is clearly a better amp. Very natural sounding. Sound stage width and depth is entirely reliant on the recording. Sounds like a tube amp in terms of its tonality and presence though has the detail, speed and bass impact of a solid state amp.

All up not bad. I don't expect it to be at its best for somewhere between a week and a month.

So far though I think I'm done with upgrades. Both an aural (not oral ;) and visual pleasure. It looks far better in the flesh than in pictures.

Pics here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qv7wZviPED1N6KWs2

Fingers crossed. Those speakers will end up in a different system though. I'm using the NHB-108 with my Aurum Cantus F620 speakers. A great match.

The Kingprints W2-1000F speakers will end up paired with my Oldchen KT88-K3 in my system downstairs. I've high hopes for these speakers :)

Last edited:
Interesting. I put a DC trap before the amp and I've no more hum. We've some light industry in our area. I'm guessing DC current feeding back from electric motors through the power grid.

It seems these copies are sensitive to DC current.

If it sounds like it looks, you win! :thumbsup:

How is darTZeel pronounced, anyway?

It sounds far better than it looks. Certainly the most solid bit of gear I've ever owned. Makes my Quad 405 seem lightweight in comparison ;)

One reviewer was calling it something fancy though I think dartzeal ( darTZeel) is sufficient... I may simply refer to it as dart in future. Easier to say and most will probably not know what I'm talking about anyway. If I need to explain I may as well shorten it.

That is one impressive device. It's been on my radar so I'm very glad to have your report.

P1KhAICJl9dn5gxM2ayD9rsaao3H4sufEG3jvUOrSpdyNljoRE8MbHSR_yMYw0CQEb68xG5pbKJX0LVz1f1QG9OT5LEXROKGdzhksihfLTO2QM18l6Oy7rAFxoslXem-fpyqD9X81TA=w1063-h796-no

And yeah, those floor-standing loudspeakers look mighty mighty as well :thumbsup:

Yes, the reason I paid more for that version was the better branded parts (assuming they're genuine) and 4 big power caps rather than the larger number of small caps. That said the versions with two large power caps seem both cheaper and better spec'd supposedly putting out 140WPC into 8 ohms and 10hz-20khz.

Take a look at the "parallel version"

N-025 No Negative Feedback Study/Copy Dartzeel NHB108 Power Amplifier 140W*2 8ohm OFC Super pure Cooper Transformer Best Sound
http://s.aliexpress.com/MjUNbeEF?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard

They use an acrylic lid rather than glass for this one though.

I've high hopes for the Kingprints W2-1000F speakers in my second system. Hoping to retire my Dayton's + Wharfedale sub. Should save some space.

IMG_20180108_180339.jpg

Last edited:
So does it have a proper perforated steel top as well as the clear glass top?

Are you going to get this amp tested to see what it actually performs like on a bench?

The cheaper base model has a metal top. That's $600 + post. I won't be bothered testing mine. It's never going to move from its current position until it either blows up or is due for a recap in another 20 years or so. I can't see audio technology improving from here

...I won't be bothered testing mine... I can't see audio technology improving from here...

It's likely full of fake components like 99% of all ChiFi. The original performed poorly enough when tested, how can anyone in their right mind not get a cheap knock-off tested? It makes no sense whatsoever, unless ignorance is bliss to you perhaps?

Would you drive a brand new car that had no ANCAP rating? Why wouldn't you consider that some form of independent verifiable testing on something that could possibly kill you or someone else? I can see exposed 240v

Sorry, this unsubstantiated beat-ups of FAKE HiFi is getting ridiculous.

Here's a classic example from the other day where someone was waxing lyrical about their latest Chinese JLH design amp, oblivious to flaws in safety that would never get approval.

20180530_160419.jpg

Notice the primary wires (you know, the 240V bit that can kill you...) squashed hard under the toroid can, pressed up against the metal (Al) casework?

And my favourite part, the complete lack of a safety earth on the unit (the IEC socket has no chassis earth) and yet it has a three pin, fused IEC. Clearly it is not remotely double insulated...

no earth.JPG

What do you think will happen in time to those primary wires squashed under the toroid?

We know your 'clone' has no C-tick approval. So, it has no electrical approval in Australia. None of this knockoff ChiFi does. I can see un-insulated 240V (blue/red) on the PCB in the centre of the amp!

Someone will get killed by some of this crap. I've seen it all with ChiFi and wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Last edited:
You're free to steer clear of whatever you want. To my ears this is the best sounding amp I've ever come across bar none. Measurements are irrelevant from that perspective.

I've always preferred tubes to solid state amplification and this is the first amp to change my view on this. Most tube amps will fail your distortion figures too so it doesn't hold much weight with me. I'll trust my ears thanks.

It's fully earthed and there are no wires being crushed by anything Even I know how to check for that.

Either way this is end of the line for me. I don't see myself wanting to upgrade for an extremely long time.

It's likely full of fake components like 99% of all ChiFi. The original performed poorly enough when tested, how can anyone in their right mind not get a cheap knock-off tested? It makes no sense whatsoever, unless ignorance is bliss to you perhaps?

Would you drive a brand new car that had no ANCAP rating? Why wouldn't you consider that some form of independent verifiable testing on something that could possibly kill you or someone else? I can see exposed 240v

Here's a classic example from the other day where someone was waxing lyrical about their latest Chinese JLH design amp, oblivious to flaws in safety that would never get approval.

View attachment 1209362

Notice the primary wires (you know, the 240V bit that can kill you...) squashed hard under the toroid can, pressed up against the metal (Al) casework?

And my favourite part, the complete lack of a safety earth on the unit (the IEC socket has no chassis earth) and yet it has a three pin, fused IEC. Clearly it is not remotely double insulated...

View attachment 1209364

What do you think will happen in time to those primary wires squashed under the toroid?

We know your 'clone' has no C-tick approval. So, it has no electrical approval in Australia. None of this knockoff ChiFi does. I can see un-insulated 240V (blue/red) on the PCB in the centre of the amp!

Someone will get killed by some of this crap. I've seen it all with ChiFi and wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

I'm hoping that what i'm seeing in the wiring is an illusion due to perspective.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that what i'm seeing in the wiring in an illusion due to perspective.

Hopefully so. Those JLH 1969 Hood amps are great sounding little amps. Hard to beat for the cost. Maybe you could undo the bolts and shift the wire?

View attachment 1209362

View attachment 1209364

I want substantiated reports from someone like you that show that these Chi-Fis kill people. Otherwise, your observations mean nothing.

At least it looks great! One thing though...if this one does have plexiglass top wouldn't it warp overtime sitting on a top of a hot electronics?

Back
Top Bottom