eBay C33 purchase

I bought a Pre on E Bay that had cracked glass. (A C-41)
The glass was basically shattered when it arrived. Mcintosh packaging. The cracks were taped together. I was still actually OK with that, as I had already sourced replacement glass.
However, the volume control was hard to move, so I didn't even bother to plug it in. I suspected that this thing had fallen on its face, and I didn't want to deal with the possibility of expensive repairs. I filed a claim, and sent it back, and the seller told E Bay that 'it wasn't the same Preamp that he sent me'.
I made a call to E Bay, and they ruled in my favor right over the phone.
I was really pissed about this, and I gave the seller a piece of my mind for basically accusing me of committing fraud so he could weasel out of a misrepresentation. No reply. Big surprise.
I think that it is safe to say, that will be my last Mcintosh E Bay transaction, EVER....

62caddy was 100% correct and I was so close to sending it to Mcintosh but as 62caddy and Ebay told me it would have voided any effort to recover my funds. That's what the seller wanted me to do.

...and the seller knew exactly what he was doing in suggesting you have the unit repaired- which, given the nature of the damage could well have exceeded the value of the unit.

Given the unit clearly could not have been functioning at the time it was listed for sale, not to mention two previous cancelled sales on the same item, there's little question this seller was out to take you over the coals. Thankfully you checked back here before taking the bait. That's what we're here for!

except the fact that this problem is not acceptable , the monitoring amplifier is refixable . Smoke and burned area are coming from carbon burned resistors . This is "spectacular" but not drastic . Everything is refixable and the cost is making your decision : repair or not repair , that's the question !

@audiobeer...I strongly suggest buying from Audio Classics rather than trying your luck with eBay roulette. ......It'll cost a bit more...... but believe me, it'll be well worth it in the final count.

For this reason alone, people will keep trying their luck on ebay forever. Ebay is successful because there is a much bigger population of buyers and sellers for the stuff you want. I buy stuff on ebay. You just have to carefully read buyers' comments especially for products in the same general product area and price range as you are looking for. It's no different than buying a used car through a newspaper ad or a new car dealer. I am not trying to promote ebay, it's just a fact of life.

Last edited:
For this reason alone, people will keep trying their luck on ebay forever. Ebay is successful because there is a much bigger population of buyers and sellers for the stuff you want. I buy stuff on ebay. You just have to carefully read buyers' comments especially for products in the same general product area and price range as you are looking for. It's no different than buying a used car through a newspaper ad or a new car dealer. I am not trying to promote ebay, it's just a fact of life.

I should have qualified "on average" because it is not uncommon for McIntosh to sell for more on eBay than from Audio Classics or Tom Manley. In any case, the differential is so small on average - especially considering the risks involved.

You are correct not all sellers are the same. But unless experienced in knowing what to look for and how to properly analyze and size-up an ebay seller and his listing, you'll be much better off going with trusted sellers with an established record of integrity - to wit, this thread is a perfect case in point.

@audiobeer...I strongly suggest buying from Audio Classics rather than trying your luck with eBay roulette. It'll cost a bit more but believe me, it'll be well worth it in the final count.
I have purchased from them before. I’ve purchased a 754 here twice, a 113 here, and years ago a 2255. All were as described or better. Same with my purchases with Audio Classics Good advice.

Hmmmmm..... if its a "reputable seller" they should make good on satisfying the buyer :idea:.

It is advisable to research the seller before the purchase. This can be readily done by looking at their "seller history" and comments for that matter. Most if not all honest sellers will want to keep their history pristine as this will certainly effect their rating overall.

I would also recommend, as other posters have stated, a buyer carefully read the buyer posting :deal:. Often there are very good leads in the wording for avoiding a bad sale. Particularly where it is said to have been "tested" as this is a vague term and may mislead the buyer into thinking it means the unit is 100% functional. The seller may not have the capacity to fully test the unit per the function desired by the buyer, particularly with electronic audio/video components.

Another... nuther... suggestion (if such a term?), email the seller and ask operation specific questions. If not satisfied with the answer, avoid the sale :dunno:.

From what I see, items on EBAY are often set up for "quick sell" with minimum investment, to include no extensive testing and the like.

Again, a seller whom wishes to maintain a good EBAY presence is most times going to make good (pardon the pun).. on a sale to a dissatisfied buyer .

I have forget to ask you :

did you connect any speaker to the terminal post of the monitoring amplifier ?
If yes , was they working when this smoke happen ?
If yes , I think that the amplifier may dammage one speaker ...

As I read the OP's initial message, I believe the buyer received the preamp in the burn't state. The seller just cleaned up the cover so there was no soot or smoke and the photos looked good.

The C33 had arrived with no fuse so it was never powered up while in the OP's possession.

Regarding the burn't monitor board, let me embarrass myself and tell you a story about my C34V that sits waiting on call. I recapped the entire unit, about 80-90 caps, about five years ago. The monitor board was the last piece to be done. Being the impulsive, ADHD person that I am and not double checking my work, I turned it on and a big spark and smoke came up from the board. The two output connectors and the power-in connector are in a line with the power in the middle. I reversed two of the connectors and sent the power back into one of the outputs. The resistors were OK but at least three caps popped from reverse voltage. I recapped the entire board a second time and all was fine. I was lucky and am MUCH more careful now. Unless one of the components on the OP's board had a statistically rare catastrophic failure, I think the problem was similar to me. Someone was inside, either installing incorrect parts or moving connectors around.

I just plugged it In immediately to check the status of the glass and lights. No indication of power up. At that point I emailed the buyer to make sure he tested. He stated it worked before it was shipped. He asked that I check if the fuse was broken. I did but no fuse present. That’s when he said that I need to send it to a Mcintosh authorized dealer. After peering through the touched up vents on the top you could tell there was heat in the area of the vent that had burnt the paint. It had rusted and was touched up. So A) he got burnt and passed the trash or, B) He’s selling something he never tested. When I asked for a refund he accused me of swapping out his “good board” with my bad board. He lost all credibility when he restated it was bench tested and listened to by his friends. My subsequent feedback reflects how I felt about the sale. I had a bad feeling when I offered to pay for Mcintosh shipping boxes and it ended up at my door 3 days later.....we’ll packed I might add.

Fuse not present mean that power on will have none effect on the unit (no light, nothing ) and also not possible to get any sound , so how can he test or listen a unit without fuse ?
Fuse holder are under the unit, closer to the auto on PCB (with relay)

Last edited:
Fuse not present mean that power on will have none effect on the unit (no light, nothing ) and also not possible to get any sound , so how can he test or listen a unit without fuse ?
Fuse holder are under the unit, closer to the auto on PCB (with relay)
Precisely !! He did not listen to and/or test it!!

Ebay ruled in my favor and I'm just waiting on the shopping label. 24 to 48 hours. I was surprised to learn that the seller has to pay shipping back to him.

Back
Top Bottom