Any plant or weed experts here? Plant ID needed

Robisme

Sansui Enthusiast
This plant has been growing in my yard under a redwood tree for over a year. Very slow growing. I have never seen another one in the yard or anywhere else for that matter.

And perhaps a clue. I have three free roaming rabbits and they wont touch it. They eat all my other plants. Hence the wire around the redwood tree.

Anybody have an idea?

upload_2018-4-1_22-18-29.png

Rob

Some suggestions - Yarrow; Rocket; Swinecress. Dock also comes to mind, but that's anything but slow growing.

Weed experts? I imagine there's a LOT of those here ... <G>

r

PS - that's the kind of "weed" I tend to leave alone if it's not bothering me or killing the dogs. Lot of what I got here are considered weeds, but they're green and in many cases kinda nice - dandelions and queen anne's lace as examples. Nettles go immediately as they can be a real PITA if you touch them.

Check with the neighbors - may be a volunteer from their gardens? Seeds blowing or a bird pooping can spread a lot of stuff.

Thank you all. Gives me some direction. It does look a lot like some of the Mugwart pics I see, as well as some Rocket/Arugula.

I'll grind up a leaf and see how it smells.

Rob

There's an app for that!
Plantsnapp is one for Apple, and there are a bunch of others. Basically you take a pic of the plant, and the app compares it to a database. This would be a good way to try it out.
On the other hand, it's kind of sad that this kind of knowledge is being outsourced to our phones and computers...

Anybody got the app? Take a pic of the screen and give it a whirl ... <G>

There's an app for that!
Plantsnapp is one for Apple, and there are a bunch of others. Basically you take a pic of the plant, and the app compares it to a database. This would be a good way to try it out.
On the other hand, it's kind of sad that this kind of knowledge is being outsourced to our phones and computers...

On the other other hand, it's amazing and beautiful that those of us who would never have had the knowledge, even if this were 1849 because we live in the city, now have it. :)

Solanum aviculare, known down here as the Kangaroo Apple.

It's a nightshade so that's why the rabbits are avoiding it. Known in your area as New Zealand Nightshade.

Back
Top Bottom