Wire wrap tool and wire

Leave them wrapped and de-solder the posts from the boards. Getting into wire wrapping would be opening a great big can of worms.

Leave them wrapped and de-solder the posts from the boards. Getting into wire wrapping would be opening a great big can of worms.
I agree but sometimes wires break and in this case i need the tool and the correct gauge of wire.

Am i not just asking for more trouble if i remove the pins and replace, after reading the thread on re wrapping i do get the idea the wire could be soldered direct without a post, am i correct with this assumption?

So if its better not to re wrap the wire to the posts , should i just remove the posts that have the broken wire and just solder the wire directly to the area the post was?

If your planning to restore a few sets the wrap tool is a good purchase.
The one I have is a combination wrap unwrap tool. It's mentioned in the link above.
An old post that had been soldered on won't work for a new wrap. The corners need to be sharp so the wire and post become one.
The link to the specialized tool site will explain much better than I.

If your planning to restore a few sets the wrap tool is a good purchase.
The one I have is a combination wrap unwrap tool. It's mentioned in the link above.
An old post that had been soldered on won't work for a new wrap. The corners need to be sharp so the wire and post become one.
The link to the specialized tool site will explain much better than I.
Ok for me it will be the wrap, i will reread the thread before doing the work . thanks

One method is to solder short extension wires (stranded) with heatshink sleeving covering the solder joint onto to the existing wires. Probably have to use some sand paper to take off the old oxide to get something fresh to solder too.Solder the extension direct onto the existing post or pull the sq post and solder directly to the pcb copper land. if you solder to the existing post you have to remove the oxidization once again.
Using teflon ins stranded wire is the best since the insulation does not wick back like for PVC, you can put some heatshink over the whole length as it help prevent the wicking of PVC insulation.

I bought this https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/jonard-tools/WSU-2224/K107-ND/560752 and use it all the time. I don't unwrap to work on a unit, there's always enough slack, but there's always a wire that breaks or a capacitor/resistor on a post that gets replaced(when I see a wrapped wire covered in solder it drives me crazy). I have also purchase some hook up wire (in the correct gauge of course) in several different colors if any wire needs to be replaced. It's great if you make your own led upgrades with 5mm leds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom