Magnavox CDB-560 Vs Nakamichi MB-8.......which one.....? Can't make a decision

Fletch

These both sound amazing in their own way......but I'm leaning towards the Magnavox....am I crazy or am I really losing my hearing. Nakamichi sounds 'uptight' compared to the Magnavox. Does that make any sense?

Lucky enough to have the remotes for both. Hooked up to a H/K 330c and through some Cambridge soundwork speakers.

Input too hot from Nakamichi? That's what I am leaning towards. Magnavox sounds more smooth with older receiver.

Last edited:
I would say neither. The Magnavox is old and the laser is nearing end of life and is no longer available. The MB players are horribly built, all plastic inside and can have loading problems.

But seriously.......if you don't have an opinion that helps me make a decision on one or the other don't bother posting. Seems like that would be common knowledge but let me spell it out.

Sorry, I posted that at the end of lunch and ran out of time to continue.
2 excellent options:
Buy a new or newer Cambridge Audio player. They sound wonderful.
Buy a Sony CDP-XA1ES. They sound awesome stock. Upgrade the opamps and they sound even better. They use a KSS-213 laser which is still available, so you can keep it running a long time.

If I were in your shoes I would keep the Magnavox. Especially if it has the Phillips swing are laser. I have couple different decks with this laser and they just keep going.

I recently discovered the cheap and cheerful, yet strangely satisfying sound of these old Magnavox decks. I just moved a CDB502 into my living room setup after a couple quick and cheap mods. It does seem to "breathe easy" and does not in any way sound uptight as you say.

I tried a Nak MB deck and thought it sounded Meh! Can't remember which one it was. Although I did have a couple different Nak OMS series players that thought sounded great at the time.

Go with Magnavox.

I have a cdb-650.

They have the famous tda1541 chip.

The 560 probably uses it also.

Lasers last a long time.

I also have a liking for the Magnavox CDB-650, it was my first CD player, gave excellent sound & service for a long time. Hell, ALL my stuff is old :), but I still enjoy it !

Thanks guys!! I have been leaning in that direction. I do like some of the detail but it does not sound open like the magnavox. Uptight is the only way I can describe it.

As for the laser on the Magnavox. I've never had an issue. Reads everything. Even scratched discs. It's a workhorse for sure. Now only if I knew how to do those magical mods you smart people speak of, I'd be set but alas...it is stock for me. :)

Thanks again guys!

Thanks guys!! I have been leaning in that direction. I do like some of the detail but it does not sound open like the magnavox. Uptight is the only way I can describe it.

As for the laser on the Magnavox. I've never had an issue. Reads everything. Even scratched discs. It's a workhorse for sure. Now only if I knew how to do those magical mods you smart people speak of, I'd be set but alas...it is stock for me. :)

Thanks again guys!

A couple of other good alternative choices, still available at reasonable prices:

Harmon/Kardon HD7600 (the first "bitstream" CD player)

Denon DCD-1500 Great sound & features from what was their TOL player from around 1989 or 1990.

I have a magnavox cdb 471 with the tda 1541, I turned off the mute transistor and the sound is very good. Better than newer, higher priced players.

How’d the Philips amp end up sounding? I have come across one that looks mint and I kinda like the 80s space age style for some reason even I don’t understand.

Of course when I googled the model number audio karma came up lol

I would go for it. I have 6 of the swing arm lasers Philips/Magnavox/Sylvania cd players and here in 2023 all the lasers are working fine. The Philips laser is bullet proof and the TDA1541 / A chips produce good sound and you can replace the op-amps with better ones. Not bad for 34 year old lasers!

Back
Top Bottom