I picked up a Tivoli today.

Montycat

Staff member
Subscriber
It's a Tivoli Model Two.

Cute little sucker and it works well. The source switch was flakey but some contact cleaner seems to have fixed that. Also 2 or 3 of the plastic posts inside that take screws to hold it together were broken. Maybe it was dropped at some point? Anyway a little epoxy and futzing around and it holds together.

It's a good tuner which should be no surprise considering the pedigree I guess. It seems like a good addition to my collection considering I have an Advent 300 and 400.

It was kind of neat picking this from the Craigslist ad; it turned out I used to work with the original owner. :)

20180610_213704.jpg

I have a PAL. Always wanted a Model Two, but never parted with the cash. I like the SQ of the Tivoli of this ilk, but find the tuners slightly noisy, and not terribly sensitive. Fine for locals. Sound good for the size, and look nice, too. If I saw a set on the cheap, I'd probably buy. Nice radio, and I love the fine tuning.

Love my Model 2 but I use it mostly for computer sound.

I bought an Advent 400 when new. The ex-wife has it now.

Considering a Tivoli Music System for the bedroom as an alarm clock. We'll see.

I have both a Tivoli and a 400 (with extra speaker) and love them. the 400 has yellowed over the years but still in service. Great low level sound sources. My brother-in-law has a 300 (in black) and isn't parting with it no matter how much I beg. Love to score one of the stereo table tops (350, 450 ?) They're all jewels. I think the piece that started the whole high quality table top was a Fisher with push button tuning. KLH moved the bar even higher. Wonder how many of those were tossed without the owner knowing what a collectible they had.

I have an original Tivoli Model One. Bought it when it came out. Impressive sound, albeit with a bit of a "loudness" button tone. Controls need cleaning every year 'cuz they get scratchy. Stations drift a bit. I'm also a fan of the digital tuning and sound signature of my Sangean table radio (plus it has Bluetooth).

Love my Model 2 but I use it mostly for computer sound.

I bought an Advent 400 when new. The ex-wife has it now.

Considering a Tivoli Music System for the bedroom as an alarm clock. We'll see.

The computer would not be a bad option here. I currently use a Cambridge DAC to Topping amp to Realistic LX-4 speakers but the amp has a slightly iffy source switch that bugs me as 1 channel cuts out randomly. Having the radio right at hand would be nice too.

Picked up a used Tivoli Music System last night. Very handsome! I think I need to upgrade the IKEA nightstand now.

I tried the rod antenna but it only gets the classics station in mono so ordered another C. Crane indoor antenna today. Added the two AA backup batteries and now I have to figure out how to set the clock and the alarm.

Music System installed.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom