Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekends

Day 3 and still loving the DW's.
Lost a KT88 on the PrimaLuna ... and switched to a quad of EH6CA7's ... prefer them over the 88's with the DW's ... even after replacing the bad 88.
Might even try some EL34's ... these speakers are so easy to drive I have zero concerns about power ... can explore a world of different amps / tubes in the future.

I tried my first subwoofer just recently. Added a used $40 Velodyne CHT-8 to augment a pair of Klipsch Heresy's.
Placed on the left, I could locate the sound .... switching it to the right side, for some "room" reason ... the sub became sonically invisible and the oomph came from the middle of the soundstage.
I became a new subwoofer convert.
With the Dirty Weekends sans sub ... punchy and dynamic as you said ... "clean" as can be.
With some music I will add a little sub action ... but would be satisfied without.
Agree that the sub adds to the experience ... and an upgrade may be in my future.

Sat with a full belly ... in my Sweetie's grandmother's wicker rocker .... in the sweet spot .... black lab at my side ... mug of strong joe in my hand.
James McMurtry "It Had to Happen" cd in the Rega Apollo.
Separation ... punch ... clarity ... thump ... snap ... body .... speed.
Whole cd played through before I even moved.
Entranced.
Not the slightest regret.

My feedback to Gerrit is now the first feedback quote (Don) on the Zu DW page.
He said Sean "dug" it.
Landed a pair of Zu Mission LC-1 speaker cables on their eBay page for $66.
Why the hell not .... short money.

I love the blue and in person they stunning. And throughout the day as lighting changes so do the ZU's. Its pretty cool .

my Black Rustic Hickory does the same. Different light during the day brings out different looks and detail. At first I thought the black might be just black, but there’s tons of Hickory detail that pops out in the grain.

Day 3 and still loving the DW's.
Lost a KT88 on the PrimaLuna ... and switched to a quad of EH6CA7's ... prefer them over the 88's with the DW's ... even after replacing the bad 88.
Might even try some EL34's ... these speakers are so easy to drive I have zero concerns about power ... can explore a world of different amps / tubes in the future.

I tried my first subwoofer just recently. Added a used $40 Velodyne CHT-8 to augment a pair of Klipsch Heresy's.
Placed on the left, I could locate the sound .... switching it to the right side, for some "room" reason ... the sub became sonically invisible and the oomph came from the middle of the soundstage.
I became a new subwoofer convert.
With the Dirty Weekends sans sub ... punchy and dynamic as you said ... "clean" as can be.
With some music I will add a little sub action ... but would be satisfied without.
Agree that the sub adds to the experience ... and an upgrade may be in my future.

Sat with a full belly ... in my Sweetie's grandmother's wicker rocker .... in the sweet spot .... black lab at my side ... mug of strong joe in my hand.
James McMurtry "It Had to Happen" cd in the Rega Apollo.
Separation ... punch ... clarity ... thump ... snap ... body .... speed.
Whole cd played through before I even moved.
Entranced.
Not the slightest regret.

My feedback to Gerrit is now the first feedback quote (Don) on the Zu DW page.
He said Sean "dug" it.
Landed a pair of Zu Mission LC-1 speaker cables on their eBay page for $66.
Why the hell not .... short money.

Yeah, I was happy with just the DW's by themslef in the bass dept but like I said, when I found a high quality subwoofer, one that could keep up with the attack and speed of the ZU's, it just makes everything so complete! I got the dual subs dialed in to where the kick drums and so on come from the middle of the soundstage. Not from right or left. It's simply awesome! Look into the RSL Speedwoofer 10's. It's no joke and only $399!

And yes, it's so addictive listening to cd's. The other night I kept telling myself, just one more song, just one more song. 3 hours later, I was still saying that. LOL

That's great if the drummer was at center stage, not so much if they were stage left or stage right. :D

I should have phrased that better. After I posted it I knew someone would bring this up. Yes, based upon the recording the drummer is right where he is supposed to be. The bass is where it 's supposed to be and part of the over music on the soundstage. In other words, I can't locate the bass coming from the right or left subwoofer. It sounds as if it is part of the speaker. Hope that clarifies a little better.

I should have phrased that better. After I posted it I knew someone would bring this up. Yes, based upon the recording the drummer is right where he is supposed to be. The bass is where it 's supposed to be and part of the over music on the soundstage. In other words, I can't locate the bass coming from the right or left subwoofer. It sounds as if it is part of the speaker. Hope that clarifies a little better.
HiFiJeff, I was just messin' with ya on that one. :p I have a friend who until recently had a pair of Zu Audio Druids that I loved to listen to every chance that I got, they were magical. I had a chance at buying them off of him but I just couldn't spend the $$ at the time. He was partnered up with Sean for a period of time displaying his amplifier (his company) at some of the big trade shows winning many awards. He's now partnered up with Pure Audio Project.

HiFiJeff, I was just messin' with ya on that one. :p I have a friend who until recently had a pair of Zu Audio Druids that I loved to listen to every chance that I got, they were magical. I had a chance at buying them off of him but I just couldn't spend the $$ at the time. He was partnered up with Sean for a period of time displaying his amplifier (his company) at some of the big trade shows winning many awards. He's now partnered up with Pure Audio Project.

I felt the all in fun sarcasm. LOL Yeah, the soundstage I am getting with the current combo I have right now is simply amazing! The ZU's love good amplification. And I have thought about getting back into tube amplification because EVERYONE says that the ZU's sound spectacular with single ended amps. I hade a Decware SE84UFO and it was stunning. Never heard it with the ZU's but had some Omega's and Tektons and it matched well with those. So are you going to keep me in the dark? What company does your friend own? :)

I felt the all in fun sarcasm. LOL Yeah, the soundstage I am getting with the current combo I have right now is simply amazing! The ZU's love good amplification. And I have thought about getting back into tube amplification because EVERYONE says that the ZU's sound spectacular with single ended amps. I hade a Decware SE84UFO and it was stunning. Never heard it with the ZU's but had some Omega's and Tektons and it matched well with those. So are you going to keep me in the dark? What company does your friend own? :)
It's WHAMMERDYNE HEAVY INDUSTRIES based in Portland, Oregon.

Nice! I bet his DAMN amps sound AWESOME and will reveal the ULTIMATE TRUTH about your system! :) hahahaha

Really though they look sweet. A little more than I am wanting to spend though.
They are now producing less expensive Single Ended amplifiers which start at $1,900. Still outside of my current budget though.:(

EDIT: Oh I see that you already knew about the lower priced line, I've not yet heard them hooked up. My last visit he had just set up the Pure Audio Project Quintet speakers and I was quite amazed. It's hard to imagine at first that a 4.2 watt amplifier can power eight 15 inch woofers to such levels and it's a clean bass.
DSC01376.jpg

Last edited:
They are now producing less expensive Single Ended amplifiers which start at $1,900. Still outside of my current budget though.:(

Oh yeah, $1900 is well outside my budget. Especially when the amp I am currently using which is just stupid good cost me $69! LOL It really makes it VERY hard to justify spending more money when there re so many high quality offerings these days that are so affordable. I am looking at an amp from Musical Paradise. $600

EDIT: Oh I see that you already knew about the lower priced line, I've not yet heard them hooked up. My last visit he had just set up the Pure Audio Project Quintet speakers and I was quite amazed. It's hard to imagine at first that a 4.2 watt amplifier can power eight 15 inch woofers to such levels and it's a clean bass.
View attachment 1209788

Yeah. I had a 2 watt per channel Decware SE84UFO set amp powering Tekton Pendragons with 4 10inch drivers and 6 tweeters. Like Steve says, most of the dynamics are in the first couple of watts and if the first watt sucks, why have 199 more of them?

Love the Pure Audio line of OB's. FWIW I was using the Tang Band and Alpha combo before they were.

The Druids pre-date the Omens by several years and although they cost much more I've read that when compared the Omens were preferred.

Back
Top Bottom