advice on new audio system

Speakers should be in phase when both are connected to their respective channels (Left, Right) with red to red, black-to-black at both the amp end and the speaker end. Reverse just one connection at either end (of either channel, but not both), and the speakers are out of phase,, which means when the left speaker's woofer is moving forward, the right one's woofer is moving the opposite direction. Putting the speakers face to face a few inches apart kills the bass so badly it is an eye-opening experience the first time experienced, try it. The effect is noticeable even if they aren't that close. Since your complaint is inadequate bass, everyone asked about phase for this reason.

The higher frequencies get 'phasey' too. They lose imaging and sound amorphous and non-directional when speakers are out of phase.

Positioning in the room makes or breaks bass, too, as some have noted. It is a matter of distance from walls, floor and ceiling - called boundary reinforcement - so don't discount out-of-hand the idea that positioning may be part of the issue. It makes a major contribution.

And break-in for new speakers can also make a significant contribution. New cones take a few hours to loosen up. You should reserve judgement until they've broken in. Playing them out of phase facing each other can hurry break-in time. Some speakers need more than others.

If you still don't like them after ensuring phase, room placement and some break-in time, then the question may become whether you can return them, possibly to exchange for a different brand or model. Good luck in your quest.

thank you musichal!...i will do as you say if i cant get them to like them i dont think returning them will be possible in terms of shipping but i could try to sell them i got them for a exellent price.its just that i tough that i will hear a world of diffrence,and i did but opposite of what i was expecting...lack of bass ,too bright its not pleasnt to hear them after a while...at least on my hears

Speakers should be in phase when both are connected to their respective channels (Left, Right) with red to red, black-to-black at both the amp end and the speaker end. Reverse just one connection at either end (of either channel, but not both), and the speakers are out of phase,, which means when the left speaker's woofer is moving forward, the right one's woofer is moving the opposite direction. Putting the speakers face to face a few inches apart kills the bass so badly it is an eye-opening experience the first time experienced, try it. The effect is noticeable even if they aren't that close. Since your complaint is inadequate bass, everyone asked about phase for this reason.

The higher frequencies get 'phasey' too. They lose imaging and sound amorphous and non-directional when speakers are out of phase.

Positioning in the room makes or breaks bass, too, as some have noted. It is a matter of distance from walls, floor and ceiling - called boundary reinforcement - so don't discount out-of-hand the idea that positioning may be part of the issue. It makes a major contribution.

And break-in for new speakers can also make a significant contribution. New cones take a few hours to loosen up. You should reserve judgement until they've broken in. Playing them out of phase facing each other can hurry break-in time. Some speakers need more than others.

If you still don't like them after ensuring phase, room placement and some break-in time, then the question may become whether you can return them, possibly to exchange for a different brand or model. Good luck in your quest.

what amp you can say its a great one that i can get without breaking the bank? i tough that the amp was the heart of the system...

The amplifier does have an affect on SQ and sound signature, so yes some are more clinical than others. My recently acquired pair of AR58S speaks are much happier being powered by my Belles I amp than the Kenwood integrated originally tried with.

The AR's have a 12" woofer, they seemed awfully bass shy and the upper frequencies were really just in your face. Now I like the Kenwood house sound, I'm a real Kenny fan, but these speaks just didn't seem to gel as well with the amp as I thought. It didn't sound bad, most would have been elated with the sound, but I knew it could be better.

The AR's as I've already mentioned needed a very long break-in period, more than 100 hrs, they settled down very nicely, but I knew there was still more bass to be had. I connected the Belles amp to the Kenny now seeing preamp duty and my jaw dropped. I was "hoping" for some change but not expecting much, boy were my eyes opened. The bass is now where I wanted, my two 12" Dayton subwoofers could be retired to a different system from the living rm. More bass is great, but the jaw dropping moment wasn't due to the increased bass output, it was the HUGE increase in SQ. It's been a few weeks and I'm still stunned at the difference.

So, as for your question about different amps maybe helping, it's quite possible. If you have others on hand, or a good friend with something you might try why not experiment here also, it couldn't hurt. And you just might find your speakers are happier with a different amplifier.

The dual mono Kenny integrated amp now used as a pre, as you can see from these nudes the Kenwood is no slouch
kenwood_ka-7300_top.jpg
ka7300_2.jpg

The Belles now driving the AR's
fd2aa93d76dcfeabaabf88eb455aceeb.jpg

Looking at your photo, it seems you could get better sound moving the speakers forward. If possible, I would try to have the back of the speaker equal to the cabinet in between. If the room will not allow that much movement, I would at least try to get the front of the speakers a little in front of the cabinet.

Let's back up. I see a turntable in your pictures. I assume you are connecting it to the phono inputs of your technics receiver ?

Also, what is the purpose of the mixer in your pics? How are you connecting to and from it?

i tough that the amp was the heart of the system...

It is, but not in the sense that it has the most impact on sound quality. Speakers and cartridges have by far a greater impact...followed by preamp and then other input components. For me, the characteristics of a good amp are:
  • Enough power to drive one's speakers to desired loudness at regular listening distance with minimal clipping distortion
  • THD of less than .25% or thereabouts
  • Minimal coloration of the signal. What goes in is what comes out, thereby eliminating a variable in the equation.
Some folks promote the notion of "synergy"....matching the sonic characteristics of a particular amp/preamp with the sonic characteristics of a particular pair of speakers....for example, using a warm amp to balance bright speakers, etc etc. Nice when it happens, but limiting.

At the end of the day, I think it makes sense to get the most neutral amp that you can. Your speakers, phono amp, cartridge and other components in the chain are going to add plenty of variability anyway....holding the amp constant allows you to judge them more on their own basis, rather than on how their own characteristics are interacting with the characteristics of the amp/preamp.

Unfortunately, amp/preamp neutrality seems to have a direct relationship with cost. The less colored the sound, the more expensive they are. But keep in mind that expensive does not necessarily equal neutral/flat.

Just my conclusions on the topic. I'm sure others have different points of view!

I have to agree with what has been said previously, that both the speakers, AND YOUR EARS, need time to break in. You're accustomed to the sound of the Technics, and the Aeros are a completely different speaker. Depending on how often you listen to your system, it can take some time to make the mental adjustment to the new, and different, sound produced by the Aeros., as well as for the surrounds to loosen up. The break-in procedures described, wired out-of-phase and facing each other, should work. I would suggest placing them in a room by themselves, putting a blanket or two over them, and keep the volume at a medium setting. And, maybe take a weekend away to give them time to do their thing. When you return, hook them up as usual, and see if there is a noticeable difference.

I had the same issue with a pair of Polk Monitor70 II speakers that replaced a pair of the Andrew Jones/Pioneer floor-standers. The Pioneers were good sounding speakers, but the small woofers simply couldn't produce enough bass in my rather open listening room. At first, the Polks were WAAAY too bright, and at times the bass seemed overpowering and muddy. The mids were, or SEEMED to be, practically nonexistent. But after researching the issue, I found out that the Polks needed as much as 50+ hours to break in properly. Additionally, they are somewhat placement-sensitive. Experimenting with distance from the back wall, as well as toe-in, brought them to their current, and quite satisfying, positions. Based on your photos, I'd suggest moving the Aero's further out into the room and play around with the angles towards your listening position. Good luck, and I hope you find them to your liking....

Again, how is your turntable connected to the system? And how are you using that mixer?

Speakers are always the most important choice you ever make, because thats where the rubber meets the road or the sound is transferred from electrical energy to mechanical energy. I can't believe the Cambridge speakers are that negative in your listening experience. you are sure the polarity of the hook up of both speakers are identical. Play one speaker at a time and see if the bass sounds better. You could have capacitor issues in the Amp but that would be rare. Now if you are expecting sound like you would hear at a disco or some concerts with overly emphasized bass you might try Cerwin Vega speakers. They are more voiced that way.

i think they starting to sound a little better now...still not as much bass as the technics but i get to hear things on the med -high that i havent heard before whit the old technics

I think what you are hearing is better quality, not yet broken in bass, from a $500 pair of Cambridge speakers versus the probably boomy bass of the $100 Technics speakers, to which you are used to hearing. Take all the great advice given and some time to learn to appreciate your new speakers.

thank you musichal!...i will do as you say if i cant get them to like them i dont think returning them will be possible in terms of shipping but i could try to sell them i got them for a exellent price.its just that i tough that i will hear a world of diffrence,and i did but opposite of what i was expecting...lack of bass ,too bright its not pleasnt to hear them after a while...at least on my hears

Not sure. I had to break the bank to get what I want from an amp. I guess it depends on your bank, and your willingness to blow a big wad o' cash.

Sounds like the speakers are just beginning to break in to me.

That said I've found the choice of amp makes an enormous difference. I moved from tube amps with my Aurum Cantus F620 s to a Schiit Saga preamp + Quad 405 copy power amp and had an immediate and noticeable improvement in bass which was something I never even knew was lacking previously. Just recently I changed to a darTZeel NHB-108 and there's an even more noticeable improvement in deep bass (not even mentioning all the other sonic benefits) so the amp does impact how much bass you get.

I've no EQ in my system so the difference is all in the amp.

Last edited:
Not sure. I had to break the bank to get what I want from an amp. I guess it depends on your bank, and your willingness to blow a big wad o' cash.

keep in mind that i have a cheap technics amp from the 90ts so any amp would be an noticiable upgrade.

Sounds like the speakers are just beginning to break in to me.

That said I've found the choice of amp makes an enormous difference. I moved from tube amps with my Aurum Cantus F620 s to a Schiit Saga preamp + Quad 405 copy power amp and had an immediate and noticeable improvement in bass which was something I never even knew was lacking previously. Just recently I changed to a darTZeel NHB-108 and there's an even more noticeable improvement in deep bass (not even mentioning all the other sonic benefits) so the amp does impact how much bass you get.

I've no EQ in my system so the difference is all in the amp.

the highs and some of the mids are like nails on a chalkboard still.. i think the amp has to be at some degree responsable ...

Maybe a nice Realistic like a LAB-400, 420 or 440? Would match up nicely with a Pickering XV15 or Stanton 680/681.

That system I listed will be up there with the best you've heard with room to improve with future preamp, DAC and speaker upgrades. You'll never want for another power amp though. It's the best I've ever heard ;)

ny one has the technics 1200 mk2 turtables?

what are the measurments of the graphics on it

i have the scans of the decls on my pc but dont for sure the measurments

Nick.

Update i have in mind to geta recaped pioneer Sa-8500ll anyone know something about it?its its any good?

thanks

Nick

hi guys,so i got a pair of cambridge audio aero 6,after i watch several reviews i dindt have much money to spend,coming from a technics SB-lx50 i tough it will be a great diffrence...i dont like like the sound of them theres zero bass and the mid highs are too shinny,mi amp its a technics SA-GX130,if i plug them to a marantz 2252 wil they sound better?(more volume+more bass)should i part with them for another set of speakers?should i get another amp besides the marantz 2252 im looking to buy?

thank you all!

Nick.
Buenos Aires Argentina

Marantz from the 70's are good receivers, better than the Technics IMO. But whether they would make a difference in the bass is questionable. In addition to making sure the Cambridge speakers are in phase try placing them in corners. If you're still not happy get other speakers. Also Sansui's are known for decent bass response. However as speakers are the end result of your sound system it's logical to buy the ones that sound best to you.

Back
Top Bottom