Yamaha M2

Did you get a parts list from somewhere or make your own?

Made my own. Ordered from Mouser. I used mostly Nichicon FG and a couple of Elna Silmic II.

The filter caps are much more narrow and taller than the originals. I couldn't find any with the same spacing as original. You have to make sure they are seated as close to the board as possible.

I had forgotten how much fun a recap can be.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/661-E36D101N223TDB7M

You will also need 4 of these

Male-Female Threaded Hex Standoff
Aluminum, 3/8" Hex Size, 7/16" Long, 10-32 Thread Size
Mcmaster-carr P/N 93505A020

The filter caps are much more narrow and taller than the originals. I couldn't find any with the same spacing as original. You have to make sure they are seated as close to the board as possible.

Perfect size....

I have recently worked on two M-2's....Using those above..

I was talking about the filter caps for the C2a (I assumed milo63 was referencing the C2a, maybe I'm wrong).

Yeah, I bought the standoffs, avionic. Thanks for the tip. But I measured and found that a 3/16" height was what I needed.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#93505A923

I had to trim the thread down about 1/2 of the thread length. Thread bottomed out on the Chemicon filter caps.

I was talking about the filter caps for the C2a (I assumed milo63 was referencing the C2a, maybe I'm wrong).

Yeah, I bought the standoffs, avionic. Thanks for the tip. But I measured and found that a 3/16" height was what I needed.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#93505A923

I had to trim the thread down about 1/2 of the thread length. Thread bottomed out on the Chemicon filter caps.

Oh...Nevermind then...

Thats why I'm always suggesting starting a new thread for a different piece of gear. Reduces the confusion factor.

I have had the M-4 at home for a few days and it has impressed me with its sound. I think that the construction is important but it is not everything because each brand according to the time has a certain type of sound. In this case, Yamaha has been very conservative and respects certain classic canons of high fidelity in sound. Other much more expensive poweramps are not necessarily going to sound better because the sound they give is ..... a different concept? I would like to know if it is worth upgrading from an M4 to an M2?

I have had the M-4 at home for a few days and it has impressed me with its sound. I think that the construction is important but it is not everything because each brand according to the time has a certain type of sound. In this case, Yamaha has been very conservative and respects certain classic canons of high fidelity in sound. Other much more expensive poweramps are not necessarily going to sound better because the sound they give is ..... a different concept? I would like to know if it is worth upgrading from an M4 to an M2?....and PC 2602?
I have a Magnepan LRS.

Last edited:
I would like to know if it is worth upgrading from an M4 to an M2?

The M-4 and M-2 are fantastic amps. One nice thing about the power meter is the overload light. Distortion increases as your amp reaches it's limit. The overload light comes on at or above 1% THD, so if you see it begin to twinkle, then your amp is basically at it's limit. That should at least take some of the guesswork out of knowing if you need more power from something like an M-2 or not. If you've never seen the overload light come on or even just twinkle a bit, then chances are that your M-4 is already giving you all the power that you need.

Interesting all these observations. Possibly for the Magnepan LRS you do not need anything else. I have not tried the M-2 but there are several comparisons on YouTube channels where the sound nuance is very similar between the M2 / M4. Maybe the M2 a little more neutral but very similar. The Yamaha PC vintage pro seem to give a drier sound with less texture than these M2 / M4. So it seems ..... With the LRS magnepan I like the Yamaha M4 better than the Nakamichi PA-5E II. They are different concepts. Yamaha gives more texture and midrange and a beautiful scene. I will sell the much more expensive nakamichi !!!! Both "seem" to work well with the 4ohm of the Magnepan.

Here is a small test with the M-4.
I have a little open Magneopan LRS speakers, if I close them there is more stick but I am testing.:)
The combination of speakers, cd and amplification is the smoothest and most pleasant.

Back
Top Bottom