Do some audiophiles really prefer flat frequency response?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extremesam

I've read that some audio purists frown on tone controls and equalization. I've tried to listen to music with a flat response and to me it just sounds awful. Transistor radio-like. It's been proven scientifically that some frequencies are easier heard than others to the human ear. So then why would anyone choose a level graph over something that really sounds good? Especially if you have good equipment that can really make it come to life. I'd love to hear from the purists and anyone with your thoughts on this. .... Sam

Well you were listening to the same frequencies live and you found them appealing. Nothing wrong with tailoring sound to please your ear. In a perfect world what you recorded should sound the same when its played back.

You assUme you're hearing flat response if you don't use tone controls or equalization. Not necessarily true, as the room and environment can change the frequency response significantly.

Add to that ... flat response actually sucks, as the normal human ear attenuates or boosts different parts of the frequency spectrum. Application of EQ in the form of a "house curve" compensates for this for a more natural sound.

PS ... bad EQ sucks, and bad EQ is any tweaks that aren't based on actual physical testing of the system. No excuses either - what once took a room full of pros with some fancy gear can now be done with a laptop, calibrated mike, and free software ...

Last edited:
I've read that some audio purists frown on tone controls and equalization. I've tried to listen to music with a flat response and to me it just sounds awful. Transistor radio-like. It's been proven scientifically that some frequencies are easier heard than others to the human ear. So then why would anyone choose a level graph over something that really sounds good? Especially if you have good equipment that can really make it come to life. I'd love to hear from the purists and anyone with your thoughts on this. .... Sam

The better the system, the less correction is generally needed.

A really good system should not sound anything like a transistor radio - even when all tone controls are set to flat.

Last edited:
I'm not a purist but do have thoughts on this. It appears the objective is to eliminate the sharp hills and valleys. For me this is a resemblance of flat response.
I'm not using any tone control. Just lucky I think. Or maybe it doesn't help.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Very helpful. To elaborate, I have found that even while using quality headphones or earbuds that I cannot listen to flat response curves. Does anyone prefer a flat response while using these? More please.'... Sam

Thanks for the replies everyone. Very helpful. To elaborate, I have found that even while using quality headphones or earbuds that I cannot listen to flat response curves. Does anyone prefer a flat response while using these? More please.'... Sam
What is your source for material?

I don't have any tone controls and will never use them. Tone controls can only adjust for small problems and cause other issues.

Ever think it is your equipment or room set up that is the problem?
I'm close to it. Just a few db's of bottom end a little at the top will do it.

Theoretically, all that equalization should be done in the recording and mastering room. Therefore, some would say if your system is good enough, no further changes should be made, and you are hearing close to what the engineers/artist wanted you to hear.
Well said

You assUme you're hearing flat response if you don't use tone controls or equalization. Not necessarily true, as the room and environment can change the frequency response significantly.

Add to that ... flat response actually sucks, as the normal human ear attenuates or boosts different parts of the frequency spectrum. Application of EQ in the form of a "house curve" compensates for this for a more natural sound.

PS ... bad EQ sucks, and bad EQ is any tweaks that aren't based on actual physical testing of the system. No excuses either - what once took a room full of pros with some fancy gear can now be done with a laptop, calibrated mike, and free software ...
If we had bionic ears flat response would sound right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom