The Big G Family

kevzep

Its all about the Music
Nothing very spectacular but not often there are two Big G's in the same room....
I had the G22000 come back for a visit to tidy up a few loose ends, and I also had to fix an unusual fault on my G9000...
I then took them both into the music room for a bit of a blast!!
Here they are side by side....
These really are my favourite Sansui's......They both sound excellent driving the JBL L7's....

IMG_6363.JPG IMG_6364.JPG

Nice I have a G-9000 somewheres in the kitchen and a G-5500 in the man-cave...never had them hooked up for work...just like the look of the beasts! :rflmao:

Both of them look fantastic. Is the sound equal or does one sound better than the other?

What other Sansui's have you compared them to?

It's amazing the size difference between the two and the G9000 has a big ass as is.

I'm with you Kev, the G series are special.

Great pic ;)

Both of them look fantastic. Is the sound equal or does one sound better than the other?

What other Sansui's have you compared them to?
Well of course the G22000 has the edge as its a more advanced design, but they both have their own merits...
Oh, I have heard and repaired/restored a lot of Sansui amplifiers.....I have heard all these on the same speakers for a decent length of time..
AU-X1
AU999
AU777
AU505
AU9500
AUD11ii
AU517
G7700
G9700
G9000
G9000DB
9090DB
QRX2000
QRX3000
QRX3500
QRX7500A
QRX5001
QRX7001
QRX8001
QRX9001

I think thats most of the ones I can think of off hand....

It's amazing the size difference between the two and the G9000 has a big ass as is.

I'm with you Kev, the G series are special.

Great pic ;)
Yeah a friend of mine came to visit recently and said "WOAH!! Look at the size of that!!". Then I showed him the G22000....hahahaha that was funny...

Yeah you're right , when it comes to sheer size G22 G33 are really unbeatable . Only Pioneer 1980 is a little taller but comparing the actual size and depth BIG G's are humongus.
There is also a huge Technics the 10000 if I remember correctly which is also large or even larger than the BIG G's.

Correction its 1000 , the receiver but it's not bigger than the big G's. It's rated at 330 w per channel with cheap led meters to show the power being pumped. Actually a friend of mine had one in the Lab , he bought it to use it in the lab , but was so much frustrated to fix it , and eventually he sold it. this thing , he used to say has nothing to do with the other receivers of it's era.

I think the X balanced amplifier design was the last big achievement in Sansui power amp engineering.
After listening to one compared to a Pioneer SX-1250, I'd say Sansui had something there.
The G series are audio gear "eye candy" that is for sure.
That G22K must a PITA to have to move around and work on.
Is the lettering engraved? I noticed on the 1250 the letters were engraved, even the owner did not see that until I showed him. It stands out, looks really nice as well.

Correction its 1000 , the receiver but it's not bigger than the big G's. It's rated at 330 w per channel with cheap led meters to show the power being pumped. Actually a friend of mine had one in the Lab , he bought it to use it in the lab , but was so much frustrated to fix it , and eventually he sold it. this thing , he used to say has nothing to do with the other receivers of it's era.
Yes that Technics Receiver was a bit ambitious really, not very nice to work on.... It did pack a punch though.

I think the X balanced amplifier design was the last big achievement in Sansui power amp engineering.
After listening to one compared to a Pioneer SX-1250, I'd say Sansui had something there.
The G series are audio gear "eye candy" that is for sure.
That G22K must a PITA to have to move around and work on.
Is the lettering engraved? I noticed on the 1250 the letters were engraved, even the owner did not see that until I showed him. It stands out, looks really nice as well.
I think so too, they really did have something with that design, the top end is so linear, revealing, you hear things you've never heard before......

I am kind of used to working on them so you find a way around it, the big PITA is the fact you can power up the power-amp without the pre-amp the protection circuit is spread across the two sections, along with the power switch sequence etc... but the power amp is well laid out, can get a everything from the bottom.
The preamp is pretty easy, flat amp and phono pre-amps just unplug....
Its not the be all and end all, because there are annoying things about it, but i would say its a bit easier than the SX1980 for example.

No the lettering is not engraved, they cheaped out on that!!

Back
Top Bottom