Today's JAZZ playlist

I got back into vinyl 10 years ago, digging crates at flea markets she took me to. She let me go a little nuts this trip and we included a bunch of record stores. Back home she is rarely interested in going to record stores but if it’s a good antique shop or flea market one or both of us can spend hours there.

That's a sound plan for both of you to have a good day out. When we travel I'm after the vinyl, but I make sure to score something that my wife likes so she's not neglected.

Bill Evans Trio - Portrait in Jazz
309fa65e-df8a-4c58-8db6-ec5b57701c3b

I got lucky and found an original out in the wild a few years back, Kenny Dorham - Jazz Contrasts.
I mentioned this story a few times, but basically I walked into a thrift near my place, and this grumpy, greasy flipper had a shopping cart full of vinyl. I could see some choice rock stuff on top, so I asked if I could check out what he was passing on.
And boy did he pass on some gems. No rock, but this guy did NOT know jazz. The Riverside Dorham, a Blue Note Bechet, a Columbia Bechet, an autographed Oliver Jones, a few others, plus some stellar classical stuff like RCA Living Stereo sides.

Not sure how I'd grade the Dorham. The vinyl is in great shape, but the cover has some water damage.
No matter, I grade it as "pry it from my cold, dead hands". :D
Nice score on that Dorham album. :beerchug: I have a reissue of it and played it again recently. Good stuff. I'm with you on album grades. I'm more of a listener than a collector, so the main thing for me is finding music I like at good prices (meaning low prices :biggrin:). If it's something rare or valuable, so much the better.

I should probably post this one in the blues playlist but I spend more time here. Not only that, both jazz and blues ultimately come from the same place (which ain't only geographic) anyway. I'm on vacation this week and yesterday we went to the Chicago History Museum to see Amplified, the Chicago Blues exhibition. Recommended for anyone who lives in the area or is planning to visit Chicago this summer. It's divided up into areas, for example a record store, recording studio, blues club, blues musician's house, etc. Some interactive stuff, too: you can even create an image of your own blues album, which my son did. I'm "Sleepy Daddy Steve." I don't think I seemed sleepy yesterday but I guess that's the way he saw it. Oh well, at least I have a "good home life."

Sleepy-Daddy-Steve.jpg

Now Playing: Steve Allen, "Allen plays Allen"

View attachment 1209997

The original "Tonight Show" host could jam. This effort is one in which he plays his own compositions, but the arrangements are pretty "pseudo-jazzy" pop/cocktail piano; according to the liner-notes-- "Piano with rhythm accompaniment." No real solos here. He was a good player and composer though.

I like his later "Allen plays Jazz" on Concord better, but this record sounds good and is in great shape for 60-plus years old...

GJ
I listened to a couple of Allen needledrops over the weekend. At The Roundtable and Allen's All-Stars With Terry Gibbs.
Good stuff. And he had some great players with him. Gibbs, Red Mitchell, Mundell Lowe.....

I should probably post this one in the blues playlist but I spend more time here. Not only that, both jazz and blues ultimately come from the same place (which ain't only geographic) anyway. I'm on vacation this week and yesterday we went to the Chicago History Museum to see Amplified, the Chicago Blues exhibition. Recommended for anyone who lives in the area or is planning to visit Chicago this summer. It's divided up into areas, for example a record store, recording studio, blues club, blues musician's house, etc. Some interactive stuff, too: you can even create an image of your own blues album, which my son did. I'm "Sleepy Daddy Steve." I don't think I seemed sleepy yesterday but I guess that's the way he saw it. Oh well, at least I have a "good home life."

View attachment 1210180

Sounds like fun. And gets next gen exposed to different kinds of music.
That museum has had some nice shows.

Last edited:
I didn't know you COULD program more than one fingerprint into the iPhone. But that doesn't surprise me. I'll have to do that.

One of the biggest perks in going from a 4s to an 8 (for me) is now my Apple Airplay (streaming your audio via WiFi to your Stereo System) works flawlessly. It used to be such a PITA. Skipping, jumping and just plain old cutting out until I rebooted the phone. I had half thought that the problem was in the aftermarket Airplay receivers. Nope. The iPhone 8 is using these same receivers and it doesn't skip a beat. And with the iOS 11.x upgrade, you can now stream multi-room simultaneously AND stereo stream to Airplay Speakers like the Apple HomePod. Google has had this for a long time with Google Cast, but it's nice to be able to do it on my iPhone as well.

Google Casting (Android) is not without issues. I have some issues with my Google Home Mini loosing Wifi and needing a reboot every so often. Nothing is perfect.
Yeah, it's a cool feature.
I programmed mine into my wife's 6 awhile back, and it dawned on me one day that I could put a few of my own on my phone. I think I was eating something and went to reach for it. I think I had food on the pointer finger I programmed in!

I'm not too hip with the casting thing. I'm not all in with Apple stuff, just their phones and my kid's ipad.
Not much of an Android guy, either, so I'm not up of the casting stuff with them.
The streaming I do around here is pretty barebones. FileBrowser for local FLAC files, and then an old(er) phone for streaming radio stations, youtube, Mixcloud, etc.
I've used AppleMusic a few times and really liked it. I could see myself going back to it some day.

Back
Top Bottom