Today's JAZZ playlist

Ah, thanks!

I've seen the first one before (now I'll have to listen to it). The second I've never heard of.

Some of those mid-century covers are pretty outlandish, aye?

GJ
Yeah. Somehow a lot them seem to stand the test of time, but in a 'wow, people were weird back then' way.

Btw, both of the needledrops I listened to were from poppachubby, so there's a good chance he put them up on his youtube channel.

These two:
MI0000888674.jpg

R-1606289-1233058068.jpeg.jpg

That's funny. A few months ago I was talking about Steve Allen's son being my Doctor when I lived in NY. And now here is his dad on a few albums.

Ha!
You could probably make a drinking game out of it! Take a shot every time Miles says, "motherfucker".:rflmao:

I know, right? I'd be on my azz after the first 5 times. :)

It's interesting listening to the master takes of "Kind of Blue" where all you ever hear from a younger Miles is, "No, that's OK, that's part of it!" and "So what?". Then on this album it's F this and F that. Big change over the years.

Yes, Sattlers and Cavages gone, as is Record Theatre; as of last summer the last two locations closed. They used to have a huge "one-stop" warehouse for wholesale clients and DJ's, also some retail out in Cheektowaga. I wonder if that's what you're remembering?

GJ

I've told this before but I discovered Wayne Shorter at Record Theater in Buffalo. I was in College on my way to Toronto to go to Sam the Record man and A&A, stopped in Buffalo at Record Theater and they had Wayne Shorter's "Night Dreamer" playing. I asked who it was and bought it on the spot. Didn't Record Theater offer "Stamps" for every purchase, kind of like S&H Green Stamps that you put in a book of sorts for free albums? Maybe I'm mistaken but I seem to recall that.

I've told this before but I discovered Wayne Shorter at Record Theater in Buffalo. I was in College on my way to Toronto to go to Sam the Record man and A&A, stopped in Buffalo at Record Theater and they had Wayne Shorter's "Night Dreamer" playing. I asked who it was and bought it on the spot. Didn't Record Theater offer "Stamps" for every purchase, kind of like S&H Green Stamps that you put in a book of sorts for free albums? Maybe I'm mistaken but I seem to recall that.
There's a vinyl shop in Vancouver, on Commercial I think, that does something like that. It's card that they put their store stamp on from an ink pad.
It's been years since I've been there, though, so who knows if it's still around. It very well could be, Vancouver is a pretty hip town when it comes to music shops.

There's a vinyl shop in Vancouver, on Commercial I think, that does something like that. It's card that they put their store stamp on from an ink pad.
It's been years since I've been there, though, so who knows if it's still around. It very well could be, Vancouver is a pretty hip town when it comes to music shops.

Vancouver is awesome. I've been there a few times, but sadly never shopped for Vinyl or CDs there. I have in Seattle, and in hindsight, I could kick myself for not going record shopping in Vancouver. I have no plans on going to the Pacific Northwest anytime soon, so it will now have to be a bucket list item.

Oh yeah, the stamp books! ;) It was kind of a pain in the ass, but I always did it, because I was constantly in there anyway, and you might as well . . . I think the completely filled out book was worth $5.

I'm pretty sure of that because one time I picked out two CDs that were both on sale, so the total was $7; with the stamp book, it was $2. The clerk said to me "woo, big spender".

Last edited:
Vancouver is awesome. I've been there a few times, but sadly never shopped for Vinyl or CDs there. I have in Seattle, and in hindsight, I could kick myself for not going record shopping in Vancouver. I have no plans on going to the Pacific Northwest anytime soon, so it will now have to be a bucket list item.
It is. I'll be there this summer, but I doubt I'll find the time to do any music shopping. Too tight of a timeline, and fitting in all the family visiting is the important part of the trip.

My wife's daughter used to live near a strip that had a few cool music shops, so I could just go for a walk and find vinyl.
After walking in with an armful of vinyl:
My wife: I thought you were going for a walk?
Me : I did.
Her: Where did you go?
Me: Over that way.
Her: Where did those come from?
Me: I found them.
Her: Where?
:rflmao:

Oh yeah, the stamp books! ;) It was kind of a pain in the ass, but I always did it, because I was constantly in there anyway, and you might as well . . . I think the completely filled out book was worth $5.

I'm pretty sure of that because one time I picked out two CDs that were both on sale, so the total was $7; with the stamp book, it was $2. The clerk said to me "woo, big spender".

Thanks. I barely remembered that and am glad I wasn't wrong.

That was a glorious time in Vinyl and I'm glad I got to experience it. Record Theater, Cavages, Sam Goody, Sam the Record Man, A&A, Virgin Records (towards the tail end). Not that I don't appreciated digital music and downloading, because I certainly do. But I still miss the days of the big record stores.

It is. I'll be there this summer, but I doubt I'll find the time to do any music shopping. Too tight of a timeline, and fitting in all the family visiting is the important part of the trip.

My wife's daughter used to live near a strip that had a few cool music shops, so I could just go for a walk and find vinyl.
After walking in with an armful of vinyl:
My wife: I thought you were going for a walk?
Me : I did.
Her: Where did you go?
Her: Where did those come from?
Me: I found them.
Her: Where?
:rflmao:

AHAHAHAH! That's funny! SWMBO wouldn't be that easy. The legal eagle in her would come out immediately, she'd sit back, cross her arms and she'd say, "When you left you represented that you were going for a walk. Now I see you purchased albums. So this was a false representation of your intentions. Explain why you misrepresented your intentions."

Then I'd do my usual... :dunno:

Thanks. I barely remembered that and am glad I wasn't wrong.

That was a glorious time in Vinyl and I'm glad I got to experience it. Record Theater, Cavages, Sam Goody, Sam the Record Man, A&A, Virgin Records (towards the tail end). Not that I don't appreciated digital music and downloading, because I certainly do. But I still miss the days of the big record stores.

I do too; the specialty record stores were excellent, but even standard-issue department stores had well-stocked record departments. There was a strictly local chain in Buffalo, Sattler's, which was sort of at the level of a JC Pennys, that had lots of good jazz and a large classical section. I can distinctly remember buying the first Coltrane record I ever got at a K-Mart. That sort of thing would be unthinkable now.

AHAHAHAH! That's funny! SWMBO wouldn't be that easy. The legal eagle in her would come out immediately, she'd sit back, cross her arms and she'd say, "When you left you represented that you were going for a walk. Now I see you purchased albums. So this was a false representation of your intentions. Explain why you misrepresented your intentions."

Then I'd do my usual... :dunno:
You'd still have the albums, though. Right?:beerchug:

My wife is cool with it, as long as I don't break the budget or muck up the visiting.
Last visit was about a new grandchild, and we also carted along my MIL. Stayed in a waaay tight downtown hotel, too.
The only free times were when my daughter and I needed to just stay out of the way. I wouldn't bother her by dragging her to music stores.
We spent the good part of one day at the aquarium together, and it was awesome.

If I can fanangle a record store visit this time I'll still do it.

I do too; the specialty record stores were excellent, but even standard-issue department stores had well-stocked record departments. There was a strictly local chain in Buffalo, Sattler's, which was sort of at the level of a JC Pennys, that had lots of good jazz and a large classical section. I can distinctly remember buying the first Coltrane record I ever got at a K-Mart. That sort of thing would be unthinkable now.
I recall buying tapes and CDs at Sears way back. Around the time that CDs were just becoming the thing for regular folk.

There's a regional drug store chain around here that sells music. The CDs are mostly popular stuff, but you can find some gems. Decent vinyl selection, too.
I scored a nice collection of CDs there a few years back because of this thread:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/jazzplus-reissues.546768/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom