Supercharged - Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC

I have the XIANG SHENG DAC-01A. It's basically the same as the Maverick DAC. I've upgraded mine with the JAN GE5670W tube as well. I also added sockets for the op-amps, and upgraded to Linear Tech LT1364CS8 op-amps. I'd like to go better soon.

Now, as to output capacitors. I've used Mundorf EVO Oils, Supremes, and Supreme Silver Oils, in a recent crossover recap; 2.2uF caps too. As such, those things are huge. I don't think they'll fit. The EVO Oils are 25mm X 21mm, Supremes are 25mm X 35mm, and Silver Oils are 41mm X 57mm.

Thanks Kray and StimpyWan, bce22 used Jantzen supreme 2.2uf 800v caps in his D2. I cant see his pics on page 1 but I gather they fit. I have emailed Ryan at Maverick and asking him what he thinks about the Jantzen caps

Thanks Kray and StimpyWan, bce22 used Jantzen supreme 2.2uf 800v caps in his D2. I cant see his pics on page 1 but I gather they fit. I have emailed Ryan at Maverick and asking him what he thinks about the Jantzen caps

The Jantzen Superior-Z is 26mm X 45mm, according to Parts Express. So, if that measurement is accurate, a Mundorf Supreme would fit too...! :)

I have started a thread on diyaudio's website as well asking if it would be an improvement as well and will let you all know if I learn anything. They are talking about chokes and voltage OMG ! hahahaha

Just reading bce22's fitting of the 2 bigger Jantzen caps again and he moved the 2 small red caps to the rear of the circuit board to fit the bigger jantzens in under the cover. Probably not a big drama .

Somebody, somewhere.....mentioned that they were gonna compare the D2 to one of those Topping dacs. Was it someone in this thread?

If so, how did they compare?

Also can we upgrade our existing D2s to 24/192? Ryan is selling these with this option now-at least by request.

Wondering that myself. Ryan told me that via email couple months ago but has since ghosted on me. I’ve sent 3 follow up emails and nothing. Annoying

Anyone else observe the performance is better from optical input vs USB?

My optical input seem to provide a fuller sound.

Awesome!!
I use it every day .. run tuner through it XM radio TV PC whatever
Next best thing to a NOS DAC
There’s a great article on a NOS dac in the current stereophile.
I have to agree with Art Dudley, there’s no need for upsampling in a NOS DAC... save the money

Back
Top Bottom