Could it be true, iPhone going to USB type C

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
MacRumors is reporting that in 2019 Apple is going to the USB Type C on the iPhone and the iPad. I am looking forward to this.

479C5726-E8A8-415C-8D7B-74A04857B15D.jpeg

Sounds like something that Apple would do--introduce yet another product that is incompatible with other products, holding customers "hostage" with yet another "upgrade".
USB-C would be a universal plug versus lightning which is proprietary. They have more control over lightning, so I am a bit surprised to hear this, but their Macs have adopted USB-C, so maybe they want it to be on everything.

The data transfer rate on the type “C” much higher than the lightning cable. The only thing I don’t like is it is not a sold plug like the lightning but at least you don’t have to fumble getting it in the right way like the micro USB which is a king mondo PIA times 10 when plugging in a Bluetooth earphone to charge in the dark when switching earphones at night in bed listening to a audio book. :rant: God these first world problems :rolleyes:

The data transfer rate on the type “C” much higher than the lightning cable. The only thing I don’t like is it is not a sold plug like the lightning but at least you don’t have to fumble getting it in the right way like the micro USB which is a king mondo PIA times 10 when plugging in a Bluetooth earphone to charge in the dark when switching earphones at night in bed listening to a audio book. :rant:
What do you expect them to do with that extra speed? Just curious how you think they will sell it.

I just realized something. I finally figured out why iTunes is such a turkey running on a PC. Apple wants tbe inner Baboon to come out hoping it will cause people to smash their PC’s in frustration and go purchase an iMac. If only 1 out of a 1000 does this considering what an iMac costs.........in this world one thing counts in the bank large large amounts......;)

I think lightning is the "neater" solution as far as physical connectors go, but USB-C is well into the realm of "close enough" in practical performance that it's universal nature, to me, far outweighs any connector performance disadvantage.

Add to that that you can charge at way higher rates over USB-C and the fact that Apple's own Macbooks use USB-C... it makes sense for them to switch eventually. The only reason they haven't is "Think Different".

Lightning is a stupid little piss-ant connector, as are all the USB variants. I put them, HDMI, DVI and SCART all in the same bag of garbage connectors we have seen created in the last 30 years.

I'd rather have a fatter phone with real military grade screw down multi-pin connectors on it. Ask Avionic, I bet he has a few bags of Amphenol made connectors we could use. You know, something that will take 8.5Gs and a dunking in seawater (not at the same time). ;)

I'd buy a phone with a 6.35mm headphone jack on it, BNC connectors for a proper antenna (like they used to do on 'bricks'), maybe a coaxial DC connector or two for power and a DB-9 for data. Or just throw on a nice RJ45, they are good for 1GB/s and POE- what's the problem?

Old Skool! Yeah.

Last edited:
Lightning is a stupid little piss-ant connector, as are all the USB variants. I put them, HDMI, DVI and SCART all in the same bag of garbage connectors we have seen created in the last 30 years.

I'd rather have a fatter phone with real military grade screw down multi-pin connectors on it. .......

........what's the problem?

Old Skool! Yeah.
:rflmao:

Well, goin' back 30 years....there's this....:D

index.php

pro tip..spring for the new belt clip with complimentary wire chase suspenders.

First clue that it ain't gonna happen any time soon is that this "news" is being spread by Mac Rumors and DigiTimes ... the electronics industries equivalent of the British tabloids or The Onion ...

The one thing that has stopped Apple from going to the “C” is the fact Apple has real issues with this connector is that would lose control of the cable, and there are security issues with the “C” connectors.
Not to mention the slice of the pie.:D
Could they come up with a C cable that has their chip(or whatever it's called) in it, or is it an all or nothing thing if they switch?

While we're talking Apple cables, I've been living with an 8 for few months. Great phone, but the headphone jack thing is just plain dumb.
Sorry for the mini rant, lol.

I'd rather have a fatter phone with real military grade screw down multi-pin connectors on it. Ask Avionic, I bet he has a few bags of Amphenol made connectors we could use. You know, something that will take 8.5Gs and a dunking in seawater (not at the same time). ;)

I'd buy a phone with a 6.35mm headphone jack on it, BNC connectors for a proper antenna (like they used to do on 'bricks'), maybe a coaxial DC connector or two for power and a DB-9 for data. Or just throw on a nice RJ45, they are good for 1GB/s and POE- what's the problem?

Old Skool! Yeah.

:rflmao:

Well, goin' back 30 years....there's this....:D

index.php

pro tip..spring for the new belt clip with complimentary wire chase suspenders.

That still looks too dainty, and fancy.
What he really needs is a phone that is as big as a car mounted CB radio. With those bigass whip antennas. Plus the ability to pull it out and go 'mobile', complete with a separate 5 pound battery. You know, so a full three hours of charge time is available.:rflmao:

In all honesty I've been happy with the lightning connector.
Yeah, they're not universal, but they are ubiquitous enough that pretty much are.
My only real beef with them is the absolute shit quality of the ones that come from Apple.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom