Today's JAZZ playlist

I recall buying tapes and CDs at Sears way back. Around the time that CDs were just becoming the thing for regular folk.

There's a regional drug store chain around here that sells music. The CDs are mostly popular stuff, but you can find some gems. Decent vinyl selection, too.
I score a nice collection of CDs there a few years back because of this thread:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/jazzplus-reissues.546768/

Interesting; I read the thread pretty quickly, but I get the impression it was a Canada-only thing. I've never seen anything quite like that in a US drug store.

I noticed that the Real Gone Jazz stuff was mentioned as an aside; are those available in record stores in Canada? I've never seen one in the US, but I did pick an Ornette Coleman set up a few years ago when my wife and I were in Italy. It was only about $15 US for six albums, so it was too good to resist, but I was leery about the sound quality, and something seemed a little sketchy about it; nonetheless, they sound pretty good to me. I learned later that these albums are public domain material in Europe, so perfectly legal there, and are made by digitally processing LPs. But they are still technically barred by US copyright law, so of questionable legality here, although I have seen other, similar sets brand new here. Maybe Canadian law mirrors European law on this point.

Interesting; I read the thread pretty quickly, but I get the impression it was a Canada-only thing. I've never seen anything quite like that in a US drug store.

I noticed that the Real Gone Jazz stuff was mentioned as an aside; are those available in record stores in Canada? I've never seen one in the US, but I did pick an Ornette Coleman set up a few years ago when my wife and I were in Italy. It was only about $15 US for six albums, so it was too good to resist, but I was leery about the sound quality, and something seemed a little sketchy about it; nonetheless, they sound pretty good to me. I learned later that these albums are public domain material in Europe, so perfectly legal there, and are made by digitally processing LPs. But they are still technically barred by US copyright law, so of questionable legality here, although I have seen other, similar sets brand new here. Maybe Canadian law mirrors European law on this point.
That drug store chain is only Western Canada.

I've seen some stuff like the Real Gone material in stores here. I think I even grabbed a set from my library once or twice.
I'm not sure if they are legit here, or if it's a case of nobody caring. Grey market for sure, though.
The JazzPlus releases are legit, from Universal.

There's a record store in my town that reminds me of those headshop/record shops of the 70's. Stacks of vintage gear for sale, around the record bins. Other half is t-shirts, jewelry, posters art.
And they do that "fill the card with stamps" for free records thing.

Charlie Barnet Dukes Ideas.JPG
I had read awhile back that Charlie Barnet was a supporter/fan of Ellington. He wrote pieces that sounded like Ellington's and after Barnet retired, he'd "hire" the band to play for parties that he threw, (cat inherited $$ from his ol' man). Here, his band is putting Ellington's music through the paces and its great!!!!! I picked this up in NC on a recent trip and it "Ring(s) dem bells", so to speak. An RCA Black and White Import (I didn't put the FRANCE sticker on there), it's Charlie Barnet, it's Ellington's music(!), it cleaned up well and is now getting it's first spin. I can give it a full endorsement.

P6128990.jpg

BILL EVANS
Compositions of Bill Evans
Paul Motian - drums
Bill Frisell - guitar
Joe Lovano - tenor saxophone
Mark Johnson - bass​

Winter & Winter Music Edition

Ralph Sutton Ragtime Signature.JPG
Ralph Sutton Ragtime.JPG

I found out about Ralph Sutton as a solo piano player only 5 or 10 yrs ago. Turns out he lived near here in Bailey, CO, (I ended up going to his house after his wife died to acquire some items from his estate). I also have found his records in plentiful supply around Denver. This one was from an Estate sale last month. It was signed on the back and even though I washed the record and plastic jacketed the cover, it was only this afternoon I discovered it was signed too. Life can have it's little surprises and pleasures.

There's a record store in my town that reminds me of those headshop/record shops of the 70's. Stacks of vintage gear for sale, around the record bins. Other half is t-shirts, jewelry, posters art.
And they do that "fill the card with stamps" for free records thing.
Back when I lived in Ontario I’d jet down to Duluth,MN quite a bit, and they had a music store there called The Electric Fetus that sounds like that. I think their main store was in Minny.

Dumped a fair bit of coin there back in the day.
Well, fair bit of coin plus whatever the friggen exchange rate was, lol.

Back when I lived in Ontario I’d jet down to Duluth,MN quite a bit, and they had a music store there called The Electric Fetus that sounds like that. I think their main store was in Minny.

Dumped a fair bit of coin there back in the day.
Well, fair bit of coin plus whatever the friggen exchange rate was, lol.

And there's a Toad Hall Records in my old neighborhood in Rockford. It survived the passing of original owning couple, who really knew what was of value. I went into the place when I was in high school. So 50 years or longer. Records, comic books, posters, books. In old store front. Basement and upstairs caticombs with little headroom. Only change in fifty years is new shelves for the audio gear for sale. Step back in time.

UP TONIGHT!!!!

Nina Simone -- At Carnegie Hall -- Colpix (1963)(Vinyl)(Mono)

Side #1: "Black Swan"; "Theme From Samson And Delilah"; "If You Knew"; "Theme From Sayonara"
Side #2: "The Twelfth Of Never"; "Will I Find My Love Today"; "The Other Woman/Cotton Eyed Joe"

Volume Turned UP UP UP

Adcom GFP-750 and PS Audio GCPH both set to Mono.

Vinyl was wet cleaned and vacuum dried twice prior to placing it onto the turntable.

--Charles--

R-11832022-1523132184-2125.jpeg.jpg

R-11832022-1523132184-2303.jpeg.jpg

R-11832022-1523132184-2849.jpeg.jpg

R-11832022-1523132184-8727.jpeg.jpg

And there's a Toad Hall Records in my old neighborhood in Rockford. It survived the passing of original owning couple, who really knew what was of value. I went into the place when I was in high school. So 50 years or longer. Records, comic books, posters, books. In old store front. Basement and upstairs caticombs with little headroom. Only change in fifty years is new shelves for the audio gear for sale. Step back in time.
I love stumbling on those places.

Booker Ervin -- Back From The Gig

Horace Parlan, Johnny Coles, Grant Green, Butch Warren, Billy Higgins, Woody Shaw, Kenny Barron, Jan Arnett

ervin back from gig.png

It says "Re-issue Series", but they're actually two unreleased sessions from 1963 and 1968. I wish I had picked up more of these Blue Note "Reissue" two-fers back in the day, but there were just too many damned things I wanted!

Back
Top Bottom