My 2245

Mr Creosote

2245.jpg

I was enjoying my 2245 so much today I thought I'd throw it up here. I had retired it a couple of years ago thinking I should rebuild it. In the mean time I purchased a Yamaha A-S501. Not long ago my neighbor was visiting and we went out in the garage to get something she was asking about, she's in her 60s. She spies the 2245 sitting on the shelf and says "OMG! That's an old Marantz! Wow." Apparently she knew what it was. Anyway, it got my interest up and I set it on the bench. Scratchy balance and volume with the right channel cutting out when I played with the volume. I opened it up and gave the pots a good cleaning with Deoxit F5 and it started singing again. I moved it into my listening room and wow! I had forgotten how it could drive the Monitor 10s. Side by side with the Yamie Its tough, the Yamie is nice, but I think the 2245 has a definite edge. I replaced the lights and made the usual adjustments when I got it about 10 years ago other then that it hasn't been touched.

Last edited:
I should have had mine for 46 years, but when surround sound came out, I thought stereo was dead and sold mine for little of nothing. I now have a couple of them that weren’t original to me. Sweeeeet sounding units!

I should have had mine for 46 years, but when surround sound came out, I thought stereo was dead and sold mine for little of nothing. I now have a couple of them that weren’t original to me. Sweeeeet sounding units!
I did the same thing. Bought a Home theatre-in-a-box and sold my Yamie CR-820 and TT and speakers for pennies. Went to CDs. Regretted it later. My saving grace was I boxed up my albums and stuffed them in a closet. One day my wife said "it would be nice to play the records". That's all I needed. I bought a new SL-1210 in 2009 and found the 2245 on ebay. I was the only bidder and got it for $150. Drove down to So. Cal to picked it up. It was filthy, sat in a garage for years. But he was the original owner. Found the Polk Monitor 10s on CL. It seems to need the pots cleaned every couple years. This time I used F5 instead of D5. They feel very smooth now. It drives the M10s with authority and just amasses me still.

I moved on to CDs and HT too but i never thought about getting rid of my 2245 it did spend some time in storage though when we started having kids, then i found my stash of LPs and thought i really miss that thing and broke it out and then all hell broke loose just look at my signature :)

I did the same thing. Bought a Home theatre-in-a-box and sold my Yamie CR-820 and TT and speakers for pennies. Went to CDs. Regretted it later. My saving grace was I boxed up my albums and stuffed them in a closet. One day my wife said "it would be nice to play the records". That's all I needed. I bought a new SL-1210 in 2009 and found the 2245 on ebay. I was the only bidder and got it for $150. Drove down to So. Cal to picked it up. It was filthy, sat in a garage for years. But he was the original owner. Found the Polk Monitor 10s on CL. It seems to need the pots cleaned every couple years. This time I used F5 instead of D5. They feel very smooth now. It drives the M10s with authority and just amasses me still.
Same here. Sold everything except my Dual 1229 and all of my albums. Rebuilt the 1229 and purchased and rehabbed a host of Marantz Receivers, and I’m in my happy place now. :D

I moved on to CDs and HT too but i never thought about getting rid of my 2245 it did spend some time in storage though when we started having kids, then i found my stash of LPs and thought i really miss that thing and broke it out and then all hell broke loose just look at my signature :)
You just had to bring up that quad amp, didn’t you? :rflmao:
One of these days......

That was my first real receiver, purchased new in 1974 for some ungodly amount of money...sold it when I went off to college, as I was going 3000 miles away. Not my best decision ever.

purchased new in 1974 for some ungodly amount of money

they retailed for $449.00 which was a shit load of money back then i had to take out a loan to get mine and couldnt afford the 2275 which had just came out and i was lusting after, i always wondered if the 2275 was better and thats what got me started on my buying binge i bought one to compare ( liked the 2245 better) then i had to get something else to compare then another brand and just didnt stop. memory is shit but i think i paid around $85 for the wood case in 1975

This morning the volume pots, specifically the right channel is scratchy, cuts in and out or is at a lower volume again. This is why it was shelved. Deoxit isn't helping much anymore. Are their replacement pots available? My search so far this morning hasn't turned up much.

Did you use Deoxit D5 to start? I would suggest hitting it hard with the D5, working it back and forth a hundred times, then applying the F5.

Did you use Deoxit D5 to start? I would suggest hitting it hard with the D5, working it back and forth a hundred times, then applying the F5.
It was just a squirt of F5. I'll try your suggestion today. Its sitting on the bench with the covers off. Thanks, I'll let ya know.

Good to hear. D5 cleans and F5 lubricates, so I start with D5 and then treat with F5 afterwards.
I been cranking it every day now and its been awesome. No troubles at all since the deep cleaning. I actually went through your suggestion three times in a row. Flushed it out, back and forth at least 100 times, flushed it again, etc. Followed it up with F5.

Back
Top Bottom