How old and who was the band of artist?

gizzyman47

How old were you when you first discovered rock music and who was it?
For me, I was about ten years old and was looking at my new stepdads meager vinyl collection when I came across a cool looking cover which turned out to be IRON BUTTERFLY. Played side one and wasn't impressed then put on side two and WHAM!! In-a-godda-da-vida! Man was that an awakening! Just bought a remastered copy a couple weeks ago for nostalgia. Cranked it up!

Mine was “Spooky” by the Classics IV...

An older brother of my cousins best friend came back from Germany with a load of stereo equipment and my cousin was stuck keeping track of me, I was like eight. Was completely taken in by the stimulation of the sound with shivers up and down my spine. Then four years later someone gives me an AR system because the guy that owned it all died in Vietnam.

No idea of the date but over in the UK at 7 years old in the summer of 1963 and my grandmother said the Beatles were playing on the tv on BBC. Of course i was thinking insects not this amazing rock group. So that is where it started for me.

I was probably 6 or 7 years old when I first heard Elvis on the radio. That got my attention, though Bill Haley and The Comets also deserve come credit.

My aunt and uncle had a cabin at a nice lake here in BC (Christina Lake) and my older cousin Judy was nuts about music and one time when visiting around 1966( I was about 6 y o) Judy had a little transister radio which was playing a Beatles song (don't recall what song). We were walking a trail around the lake when it came on. I'm still not a big Beatles fan but that day was a game changer for me.

P.S. I just picked up a clean copy of Abby Road this week which is one Beatles album I've wanted on vinyl for a very long time, gonna spin it tomorrow.

I'd say KISS when I was 12. I wasn't into Rock music, but that bad was very prolific during the late '70s. Of course I heard of the Beatles and The Rolling Stones, but I really didn't consider those bands as centered in Rock music.

Elvis Presley..........of course! I reckon it was the summer of 64?
That would have made me 11 years old, it was a long time ago so ya all know this is a guessing game for me.

Elvis and Roy Orbison growing up in the very early 60's listening to what my Mother played on her Zenith Console.

Probably KISS in like 4th grade. The teacher used to let us listen to records if we finished our work early. So we'd all wear headphones and huddle around one of those suitcase players. One kid always brought his brothers KISS albums.

Excellent question.
No clue.
My father was into audio when I was very young (less than 3 that I remember)
He listened to a bunch of stuff , doowop, Johnny cash, herb Albert, Harry Belafonte, Johnny Mathis, DC5, roy orbison,Elvis Beatles (probably not until '65 or so. By the time I 7 or 8 my brother was listening to Jefferson airplane, grateful dead, and all manner of stuff. To pick a time where it was that moment would be impossible . There were 2 or 3 stereos in the house as far back as I can remember and a lot of different music :dunno:

Last edited:
Memory isn't too good any more,,, but I remember some mono Ventures albums getting played a lot...
When was that?,, 62-63 or so... Then the Beach Boys took over!

I think I was 12 when I got a 45 rpm record player for Christmas. It came with Ritchie Valens, Pat Boone and Everly Bros. 45's to play on it. That got me started.

Enjoy the music,
-Mark

In Kindergarten, AC/DC Back in Black & REO Speedwagon. Bus driver was cool enough to let the senior girls on my bus route pop those tapes into the bus's tape deck.
I knew every song by heart that year cause they played one of those tapes every day.

7 or 8....my Mom had a AM radio sitting in a window at the back of the house. I vividly remember this song on WLEE while playing in the sandbox with Tonka toys!

Last edited:
Really an easy one for me. My oldest sister had a surprise birthday party given by her friends at our house. One of her friends bought her a copy of Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention's "Absolutely Free", and they played it on our console. I think I was 9 years old. It has stayed with me forever. BTW, my sister still has the album.

Back
Top Bottom