Supermarket “Bacon” in the UK is it as bad as I sm hearing.

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Bacon in the UK: I am getting reports of stuff called bacon that if it was served in the States would get the restaurant burnt to the ground, the store that sold it flattened by farm tractors, the company that shipped it fire bombed, and the company that made hit with a MOAB. Bacon is holy food in the States. I know that what is called Bacon in the UK is a bit different, and I would love to get my hands on some properly made British Bacon. Is the store bought stuff really as bad as I am hearing.

British Smoked Back Bacon
37E6C763-69E9-4EB2-A1EE-A743E206D1AE.jpeg

streaky Bacon
BB984458-7A90-449C-B703-3E6BC7E69634.jpeg

Bacon in the UK: I am getting reports of stuff called bacon that if it was served in the States would get the restaurant burnt to the ground, the store that sold it flattened by farm tractors, the company that shipped it fire bombed, and the company that made hit with a MOAB. Bacon is holy food in the States. I know that what is called Bacon in the UK is a bit different, and I would love to get my hands on some properly made British Bacon. Is the store bought stuff really as bad as I am hearing.

British Smoked Back Bacon
View attachment 1210981

streaky Bacon
View attachment 1210987
You have likely eaten both of these already, so you can probably make your own decision. The streaky bacon is pretty much the same as US bacon. The back bacon is the same as "Canadian" bacon, which I have had on a pizza many times.

I told my friends in the UK that bacon is very easy to make in the American style. The dry cured bacon can take several months to a year to make but not the regular bacon. The Dry cured stuff is what my Great Grandmother used at the Chuckwagon and William Cody’s hunting lodge in what is now the Bridger Wilderness Area.

This is Dry Cured Bacon.if properly made does not require refrigeration. This is the Type of bacon packed in a Cowboys saddle bags. In the 19th and very early 20th Century. My Great Grandfather Billings told a 10 year old in the early 1960’s that the smell of this bacon was a magnet to bears. You always hung your bacon high up in a tree away from the camp.

B0DC29A3-D1BB-44C5-BEE8-E4E31E07F5C3.jpeg

If I was living in the Cheyenne area back in the 1870’s I would build a smoke house and produce dry cured ham and bacon. That is were the real steady income was at the time for a small businessman.

Last edited:
Best bacon in the world? Plath's Meats ... cured for weeks, and smoked for days ...

sliced-bacon.jpg

Worst bacon in the world? Anything that says turkey on the label ...

butterball.png

I teased a Jewish friend about BLT’s. He admitted he was temped so I fixed him up. He was in heaven a BBLT sandwich. Beef bacon is kind of hard to find but it is Kosher and very good. It is great alternative if for whatever reason you have a problem with pork, or just want to try something different.
03A2D912-5741-4133-A9EF-E79B7FEA32D8.jpeg

BDA05786-97F3-499E-B4BF-797E3E795722.png

Last edited:
Best bacon in the world? Plath's Meats ... cured for weeks, and smoked for days ...

sliced-bacon.jpg

Worst bacon in the world? Anything that says turkey on the label ...

butterball.png
Turkey Bacon on a label is like Vegetarian Burger on a label. It's just not a thing, so stop trying to make it one.

I never heard of beef bacon, that's nifty. Probably not enough Jews around these parts to have much of a steady market for it. And this is pork country anyhow. Would definitely eat if given the opportunity though.

I never heard of beef bacon, that's nifty. Probably not enough Jews around these parts to have much of a steady market for it. And this is pork country anyhow. Would definitely eat if given the opportunity though.
It really is very good. It is cured more like corned beef and than smoked. It’s moisture content on the brands I have used is higher than pork bacon when you open a package you don’t have to peel off the slices. The brand I listed above is sold at Kroger supermarkets. It is so hard to find. You can order it online but the price...damn it aint that good.

I think beef bacon is better than the "real" stuff.

I generally don't like "parts is parts" meat and turkey bacon is basically pressed pink slime, so...

I imagine most any meat that can be cured or smoked ends up as bacon eventually ...

2mc7d35.jpg

panda-bacon.jpg

** I strongly suggest you steer clear of any such product that lists "soylent green" in the ingredients though ...

Back
Top Bottom