Using smart switches to power Halfer and Velodyne sub produces clunk.

Adam N.

Trying to keep it simple.
I have a Hafler DH200 amp and a Velodyne sub in my garage. We use chromecast audio to supply music to all our systems. I want to use a smart switch to turn these systems on and off. The problem that I have is if I use this or a more conventional power strip to control them is that I get a "clunk" or "pop" through the speakers when they're switched on or off by using anything but the switches directly on the amp and or sub.

We're running smart switch>power strip>components

Components are:

Chromecast>Rolls SX45 active crossover>Hafler and Velodyne

The Rolls functions as the volume control and does double duty as tone control. I run the Velodyne at max and then use the Rolls to control signal to it. This has been really great for getting the sub set up without having to crawl behind it all the time.

What's happening here? Is there a way to prevent this? Does it matter that it makes that noise? Can it damage the equipment?

We also use the same smart switches to control tube amps in the house but we do not have that effect there.

Last edited:
I know you are hoping for one-switch startup, but the traditional remedy to avoid thumps is to turn the power amp on last, and off first.

fwiw

I know you are hoping for one-switch startup, but the traditional remedy to avoid thumps is to turn the power amp on last, and off first.

fwiw
This can be done with a sequential switching device. I have an Adcom ACE-515 that works nicely for this purpose. :)

Back
Top Bottom