Equipment Acquisitions Influenced By AK Membership

musichal

poet emeritus
Obviously, we buy and sell from/to one another via BT, but that isn't the only way. Some of you in various areas attend local AK festivals, and some have AK friends who pass various components along. Just reading threads and looking at images has an influence, too.

Shortly after joining about ten years ago, I bought my third Thorens TD-165 TT after reading about vinyl and wanting to experience it again. Bad idea, really, but it was fun for awhile. Then I read about the Sony XDR-F1HD tuner selling new from various vendors on the cheap, and promptly ordered one. Good idea. Still have and use it, and had some mods done since.

About six years ago, I decided I wanted a pair of Klipsch Forte speakers, but by then a decline in health prevented me from getting out and about on my own. Besides, I wanted a pair in walnut, and in excellent condition, and pickings on CL were very slim in the OKC area. Dallas was the nearest good used market, and AK member tomlinmgt in the DFW area volunteered to help look. About two weeks later I had a very, very nice pair of Forte I in oiled walnut. A buddy drove me down there to pick them up. Still have them, used daily, in the bedroom.

Mister Pig influenced the acquisition of the Levinson integrated amp. I'd only considered buying new separates, but he convinced me to consider buying a slightly-used high-end integrated amp, through his writing abut his system with the NuVista Integrated, and through PMs. Best audio purchase I ever made, and the heart of my system.

There are many others of you who've influenced me by sharing your perspectives of, and experience with, your gear. And I have bought and sold other items via BT. What are some of your best additions to your thundering herd acquired under the influence (of AK)? Or, have you made any local AK friend(s) that visit(s) for listening sessions?

EDIT: A couple years after I got those Fortes, AKer dcmfan drove up from the DFW area to help me recap, reseal and brace them - a kindness I shall never forget because it's about a 4-hr drive one-way. Just a prince of a guy.

Last edited:
I'd be lying if I remembered all the gear I picked up and passed on or kept that came as a direct or indirect result of threads or posts here.
I'll try to name a few.
Eico ST 70
Dynaco SCA 35
Denon RP52F TT
Sansui AU919
Sansui AU20000
Sansui TU717
Sansui 2000
Kyocera A710
Gas Son of Ampzilla (2)
GAS Thaedra
Sumo the 9
Kef 104-2
AR9
Dynaco A25
Timewindows600
AR XA TT
Magnavox 8600 (converted DGSE)
Dynaco ST 70
Dynaco MKIIIS
McIntosh MC352
Juicy music Blueberry extreme with cream
Dynaco Pas3
Accuphase C200
I'm sure there's more
DYIs
Chip amps
Mods
Carts
:idea::crazy::dunno:
I'd be reluctant to give credit for fear of neglecting the worthy I forget.

Last edited:
I've bought a few things just to get them into the AK community. The SR-838 tt is an example, bought two and moved them both to happy buyers since they were in nice shape. Just trying to help.

I've bought a number of speakers here ...
most from jjohnson (I blame him for the Kefs and Von Schweikerts!) !
AK fueled my run into tube gear - jcricket started it selling me a customized SC power amp,
then I got a Jolida from jjohnson, then upped that to my current Jolida 502 CRC from another AKer!

Last edited:
Bartertown has fueled my Mcintosh addiction several times with some excellent pieces at great prices from some very fine members:thumbsup:. I've also made plenty of mistakes along the way (what works for one guy doesn't necessarily work for me) and I've also learned who to trust for reviews on gear I'm looking to bring home. Without ak in the picture I'm thinking I would not have much of a rig:).

Another example would be where some seller was liquidating some NOS items online that were discussed here, and led to many members buying the item in question.

Specifically, I can recall two different runs on p-mount phono cartridges (Digitrac 200NE and Pickering XL-33U) where members were buying them up en masse, mostly for the stylus and not the cartridge body. I bought four of the Digitracs and one of the Pickerings. One of the Digitrac bodies was bad (a known issue per AK discussion), and I had to "adjust" the azimuth on the Pickering's stylus (another known issue).

I also think my purchase of a b-stock APC H10 came from a similar sort of discussion about an online deal on them as well.

Half the scores I made were because I read about stuff here that I never knew about.

When I found a set of Dahlquist DQ-10 at a yard sale. I knew what I was looking at and when he said $10 it was almost orgasmic.

I really didn’t know Dahlquist before AK.
My DQ-20 came home pre-AK because they were FREE!

Last edited:
I've taken a few recommendations. Most were spot on to my listening needs, 1 was "get it the hell out of the house fast". And I did.

Hell yes, I am surprised my wife hasn't tried to bar from this site.

AR3A's
mc c20
mc mc30's
VPI classic
VPI TNT
cornwalls
Pioneer sx850 and pl530
5 or 6 carts

I was just fine with my Carver avr klipsch heresey's and projet 1.2 TT with standard needle until I started reading this site but it has been an enjoyable journey. More than half has come from barter town at good prices though.

Everything.
Beat me to it.^^^

Specifically.
HK Citation 22. Researching this amp led me to this sight, and in turn the info I found here convinced me to buy the amp.
Onkyo P-306RS
HK Citation 16
Kenwood C2
Kenwood L-09Ms
Kenwood L-07Cll
Marantz 104
B&W CDM-1s
Numerous RCAs
Kimber Kable 8TCs
Furutech and Neotech banana plugs
All bought within the last 18 months. The Citation 16 and the L-09ms were pieces I lusted after when they were new, but had no hope of owning then. This wonderful collection of audio addicted people rekindled my desire to have really nice gear instead of just decent gear. Thank you one and all!

@4-2-7 helped me avoid several bad deals when I was looking for a SOTA turntable and helped me tremendously. I spent more than I intended, and am glad I did.

Heck, in Texas folks drive four hours for bar b que! Coming up to hang with you was a treat.

I'd ride four (don't drive) to come listen to your rig. Don't be surprised if I invite myself down some time after Christine retires - which is in just under a year - if I'm still kicking enough to tolerate the trip.

LOL, did you see what that hot dog thread did to me? And not I see one on baked potatoes, I haven't looked in yet but sour cream, butter and chives are on my mind.. :p

Crumple in one slice of crisp bacon to add to the butter, sour cream and chives for me, please. Perfection

Last edited:
I'd ride four (don't drive) to come listen to your rig. Don't be surprised if I invite myself down some time after Christine retires - which is in just under a year - if I'm still kicking enough to tolerate the trip.

You guys are welcome any time, but you’ll have to come north! I bought a piece of the family compound on a hill between the Gasconade and Piney rivers in Missouri. Should have things unpacked and squared away for company by the time Christine retires.

Back
Top Bottom