Shure M104E specs

Trekkie4

Retired Member
I would kindly like to ask someone if you can provide me with full technical specs for Shure's M104E (or at least tell me where to find them)? What I'm mainly interested is the channel separation, frequency response &/or how does it compare against M94E (aka M97xE without the brush stabilizer)

I'm looking to upgrade my M94E body with N104E stylus, as long as they're more-less equal, similar enough. Otherwise I'm probably going to upgrade the entire cart, with maybe Ortofon's OM10 or similar since N97xE is out of my price range, JICO is unavailable, and/or N94E being discontinued long time ago (both genuine & replacements)

Thanks! :beerchug:

The main difference between the styli is the N94E has a output voltage of 4.0 mV, and the N104E is 5.0 mV. Otherwise, they are pretty much the same. Both are .2 x .7mil ellipticals and track between .75 and 1.5 grams.

The N104E always sounded a bit livelier to me than the N97xE mounted in the M97xE cartridge body.

The OM10 as an upgrade? I think it's a side grade if anything. I own one and was never impressed with it.

The main difference between the styli is the N94E has a output voltage of 4.0 mV, and the N104E is 5.0 mV. Otherwise, they are pretty much the same. Both are .2 x .7mil ellipticals and track between .75 and 1.5 grams.

The N104E always sounded a bit livelier to me than the N97xE mounted in the M97xE cartridge body.

The OM10 as an upgrade? I think it's a side grade if anything. I own one and was never impressed with it.
Thanks! :)

No, I actually do think there's more to it... I was looking around the various forums & PDF documents, which revealed that N104 has the frequency range up to 20,000Hz where N94/97xE both have 22,000. But otherwise you're absolutely correct, apart from that they're pretty much identical, which is why I was curious to begin with.

Regarding Ortofon's OM10, it is very similar in specs to N94, except for channel separation (22db for OM10 vs 25db for Shure) & tip size (0.3 for OM10 vs 0.2 for Shure). Otherwise they both share the same frequency range of 22,000Hz, not to mention all the good reviews & recommendations from other users so I figured it would be a safe investment & have that "Shure" feeling to it. Judging by your reaction, I'm glad I didn't have the time to make a (big) mistake.

Either way, I'm most likely going to follow your advice & pick that N104E, as it'll be an upgrade one way or another ;) I'm currently running a N92E, which I bought locally as a "temporary solution", until I can either find actual N94E and/or cheap 97xE lol, but TBH I didn't really have much luck with either option. As for 104E itself, it almost seems too good to be true ... a cheap 0.2x0.7 elliptical with impressive channel separation for around 33USD :)

Thanks! :)

No, I actually do think there's more to it... I was looking around the various forums & PDF documents, which revealed that N104 has the frequency range up to 20,000Hz where N94/97xE both have 22,000. But otherwise you're absolutely correct, apart from that they're pretty much identical, which is why I was curious to begin with.

Regarding Ortofon's OM10, it is very similar in specs to N94, except for channel separation (22db for OM10 vs 25db for Shure) & tip size (0.3 for OM10 vs 0.2 for Shure). Otherwise they both share the same frequency range of 22,000Hz, not to mention all the good reviews & recommendations from other users so I figured it would be a safe investment & have that "Shure" feeling to it. Judging by your reaction, I'm glad I didn't have the time to make a (big) mistake.

Either way, I'm most likely going to follow your advice & pick that N104E, as it'll be an upgrade one way or another ;) I'm currently running a N92E, which I bought locally as a "temporary solution", until I can either find actual N94E and/or cheap 97xE lol, but TBH I didn't really have much luck with either option. As for 104E itself, it almost seems too good to be true ... a cheap 0.2x0.7 elliptical with impressive channel separation for around 33USD :)

If you had all the specs then I don't understand why you were asking for them here. Can you hear 22k, or even 20k?

If you had all the specs then I don't understand why you were asking for them here. Can you hear 22k, or even 20k?
Because I couldn't find anything lol, obviously.

TBH, I'm still not convinced that I found accurate data, because there's a lot of deviations, between the websites. For example, one website claims N104E has the channel separation of 29db, which seemed odd, especially for a stylus in that price range. I could only assume it's a typo, perhaps? And then I found Shure's promotional brochure, in PDF format which has some of the information regarding 104E, but again not all of them.

I even ended up searching for "RXP3", since (according to Shure, themselves) it's OEM, rebranded version of 104E. And yet again, the info specs for RXP3 is incomplete, so it's very difficult to see the big picture *shrug*
EXAMPLE 1 (Wrong Output Voltage)
EXAMPLE 2 (Wrong Channel Separation)

Good luck in your search.
Nah, I've had enough of numbers & data. I'm just going to grab one & mount it on my M94 cart, don't think I could go wrong with it either way :) Judging by all the specs & feedback I've seen so far, it'll outperform N92E by a long shot!

Back
Top Bottom