Capitals win Stanley Cup

grillebilly

Empty Head
44 years after their inaugural season, Washington wins it all. They did it in style, coming from behind in all 4 series and winning 4 straight in the finals. They have had some good teams over the years but had trouble in the playoffs. This year they lost a lot of players and were not projected to do well, and their coach had pretty much been written off. Ovi, when asked how the team would fare before the season, responded "we will not suck".
Congratulations to a very hard working squad, well deserved champions.

... and Vegas stumbles along, yet to win a cup in their franchise history ... :(

Was googling about, and come to find out, all the teams that have yet to win a cup were '60's expansion teams. Four of those have never made it to the cup finals. This was Washington's second shot at it, losing last time to the Red Wings.

Anyway ... I think these guys said it best ...

Woohoo!!! Congrats to the Caps! A number of my hockey-loving neighbors were down on F St. in DC last night for the big boogie. I passed on the craziness but watched faithfully from the comfort of the couch.

... and Vegas stumbles along, yet to win a cup in their franchise history ... :(

Was googling about, and come to find out, all the teams that have yet to win a cup were '60's expansion teams. Four of those have never made it to the cup finals. This was Washington's second shot at it, losing last time to the Red Wings.

Not only that but the wings series was 4 and out, so this year was the first time they ever had a victory in the Cup series at all.

I'm just glad they won, I would have embarrassed if the Pens lost to someone who didn't go on to win the Cup :)

Seriously though as much as I hated the old goon Caps of the 90s I have grown to have some grudging respect for the current team and Ovi seems like a legit good guy as well as a great player.

I’ve been a Preds fan since their inception, and I couldn’t be more happy to see a guy like Barry Trotz win the cup (we’ll id be happier if the Preds won...).

I was routing for the Caps after the Bruins were eliminated. It was good to see Ovi with the Cup hoisted overhead.

-Dave

Way to go Caps!

As Grillbilly said, 44 years. Strange that I have been able to watch a franchise from its birth to this point.

Anyway ... I think these guys said it best ...

Your google is broken.
The Panthers, Wild, Sharks, Jets/Coyotes, Thrashers/Jets, Canucks, Preds, Blue Jackets, and Senators are all post 60s teams that haven't won a cup.

Pretty sure the 60s expansion teams all at least made the finals.
The only one that is a bit iffy is the Seals. They ended up in Cleveland, and then merged with the North Stars. Who have made the finals, and won.

Good on the Caps for winning. I think the league is better when it gets mixed up.

Yeah.
Something that nobody else could do, though. The Knights were legit this year.

I'm going to say the Pens could have done it.

I still don't understand why the Caps and Pens are in the same division. It's a great rivalry, but it's also why the Caps can be legit good and never go anywhere in the playoffs.

Back
Top Bottom