Handles on the 601

rocknroll1

I jsut got a set of mc601's. I unloaded them by myself from back of pickup truck to a dolly and up 4 steps. I waiting on help to get them up the steps to the 2nd floor. Is it ok to carry them using the handles on the front?

I jsut got a set of mc601's. I unloaded them by myself from back of pickup truck to a dolly and up 4 steps. I waiting on help to get them up the steps to the 2nd floor. Is it ok to carry them using the handles on the front?
Boy you’d sure hope so! I’ve carried MC2300s, MC2500s, and MC2600s by the handles and they’re lots heavier.

More commonly, its a two person lift with one hand on the handle and one under the rear of the chassis.

Boy you’d sure hope so! I’ve carried MC2300s, MC2500s, and MC2600s by the handles and they’re lots heavier.

More commonly, its a two person lift with one hand on the handle and one under the rear of the chassis.
Thanks, I know its kind of stupid question but just wanted to make sure.

I have hoisted MC-1000s glass face plates and MC2500s handles alone but wrapped in moving blankets.. The upward flat versus vertical has more stress upwards towards glass if handle is at all loose . Both amps more weight than MC601. General rule of thumb greater than 80 lbs best two person unless you regularly exceed that in work or weight lifting regularly. Always better to be safe than risk body or equipment if you have option.

I was able to unpack my mc302, unbolt it from the pallet and carefully, very carefully, walk it onto the bottom shelf of the Salamander stand, which was butted up against the shipping box, and then slid the rack into it's usual spot where amp, preamp, etc. currently reside. I did this because no one was around to help and I was antsy. The shipping weight on this is 131 pounds and the amp weight is 98. I'm still amazed I got it unpacked and in place in one piece and didn't tear up my back doing it or damage the amp. The wife thought I was nuts. I probably was. Then I fired it up and she was all smiles as was I. Best of luck with the 601's. I can imagine you'll be smiling a lot too!
I moved a FULL Snap-On two bay top box (300 lbs empty) from my old 7 series bottom to my new 10 series bottom box all by myself. The 10 series bottom is about 4" taller as well. Just use common sense and put leverage to work for you when moving BIG heavy objects. Oh, and always wear OSHA approved flip flops . . .

I'm betting Mac put them on there for the express reason to use them for moving those big beasts and they're not there for display. If I had to move a pair up stairs I would use a strong buddy and the handles method.
That being said I also found it easiest to grab my 147lb 1201's from the bottom on opposing sides when moving them alone in the same room. Stairs would be out of the question alone though.

I'd bet that the handles are not affixed to the glass with Crazy Glue . . .
When I unpacked my Mc452, I left it bolted to the bottom of the open carton, and game planned a day for its installation.
I was more than a bit skittish about the glass front, and I can't toss that kind of weight around like I used to.
My now displaced Mc2300 might be going back upstairs for strapping. I'm breaking out a furniture dolly for that...

Yes the handles are not affix to the glass and yes you can Cary the 601 by the handles as that’s what it’s there for, just be careful and watch your back better yet get help and grab them by the handles.

We are talking handles, I think. Well handles on 3500s with the D shaped brackets that bolted to the sides of the units really helped handling the amps. I would never move one intentionally by myself, but on a few occasions had no choice. I only weighed 170 lbs myself at the time. By the time the 2600's came along I refused to tackle one even with help. So I would get two younger guys to heft them in place.

Now Ampex would sell any of their Studio recorders in travel cases with handles and call them portable. Can you imagine a 300-4 or an AG 300 or MR-70 as portable. Not only can I imagine it; I owned a custom 300-4 that was portable, well sort of anyway. But I used a dolly. Having three MX 35's with a meter panel and headphone amp in a case was heavy, too. In fact when I discovered ESP 9 electrostatic headphones, I use to drive them with a 240 until I found a MC 2505. More weight to carry around. So I know all about handles on Mac amps. When we use to do PA systems for live Groups in the late 60's and 70's our two or three 3500's got a real workout and so did I. 2105's would over heat and shut down even though the meters never came close to pegging. That's why I used 3500's till the end never switching to 2300', even with fans you just couldn't push them like 3500's. I never heard a 3500 hundred distort, 2300's, OH Yes! big time. We did PA's for presidential campaigns etc with 2300's and Lighting ceremonies, but they were mostly voice only. At the end we used QSC with Their form of power Guard. A lot lighter, too. I fried some Portable La Scalas with Crown amps but they didn't have handles and went back to 2500's. So though painful handles have been a good thing for me. Some times I wish my 207's and 206 had handles. Maybe they would sound better !!!!!!!!!!!!

But I have no complaints on that issue. I was trying to make a little joke.

Back
Top Bottom