What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

It does look cool tho. Did the speakers come with it? How does it sound? (All of these questions apply if you bought it.)
Couldn;t power up. In their infinite wisdom they put the electronics section across the store from any outlets.
No speakers either, but there were these Sharp and Kenwoods that've been there a few weeks.
thrift speakers.JPG
The good models with 1/2 inch particleboard boxes, rotted surrounds and 22 gauge wire coming out a hole in the back.
Good speakers don;t need any 5 way binding posts!

My fears are that we soon won;t have old school electronics guys around in the near future.
New black box component systems don;t seem to have done much to get kids interested in electronics.
I learned how to solder at 11 in Cub Scouts and more electronics while in the Boy Scouts. Scouting was a good way to expose kids to new skills.
There is one guy left in this town who is a local electronics legend and has been rebuilding gear for 50 years, but now he is semi retired and only taking on real vintage projects like vintage guitar amps and tube gear. I think he did contractor stints at the CIA back in the day.
Sad, because I wanted him to rebuild my SX-950 and Luxman but he's not doing those things anymore. :-(
my issue, as well. had a good repair guy in this area that closed up when the economy hit the skids. it's now a 75-80 mile trip to find someone that might have the time and expertise to fix something. it kills me to see good gear go into the scrap bin due to the lack of a competent repairer. sooo - just as we did "back on the farm" - i'll just learn how to do it myself.

my issue, as well. had a good repair guy in this area that closed up when the economy hit the skids. it's now a 75-80 mile trip to find someone that might have the time and expertise to fix something. it kills me to see good gear go into the scrap bin due to the lack of a competent repairer. sooo - just as we did "back on the farm" - i'll just learn how to do it myself.
Feel your pain unkqty. I have a thread going in the tape room on my experiences with some e-bay purchased vintage high end pioneer tape decks. They do have a few issues that need ironed out. The choice was to pay for 2 way shipping for the sellers to correct the issues or go to the nearest service center. I found a qualified center in Roanoke Va. via Lee Hartman & Sons. The technician is 70 years old and knows his stuff! I feel great leaving the units with him after our meeting. He has a passion for the gear. Yet it was a 300 mile / 5 hour round trip drive on a Friday afternoon. Will be the same to go pick up in a month. "The things we do for Love"

Crank up the volume...:biggrin::thumbsup:

Did they ever break the sound barrier? Growing up in NorCal in the old days the F-4's would do it every now and then.
Maybe the locals complained?
Haven;t heard a jet break the barrier for years, the last time was hiking in the Sierra's and a couple F-18's came ripping up a canyon only a few hundred feet off the deck.
Never heard them coming til they were past and the boom was the ultimate bass.
Best job in the world; Get paid to train and never have to pay for the fuel!!

Did they ever break the sound barrier? Growing up in NorCal in the old days the F-4's would do it every now and then.
Maybe the locals complained?
Haven;t heard a jet break the barrier for years, the last time was hiking in the Sierra's and a couple F-18's came ripping up a canyon only a few hundred feet off the deck.
Never heard them coming til they were past and the boom was the ultimate bass.
Best job in the world; Get paid to train and never have to pay for the fuel!!
The would out over the gulf of Mexico....Sonic booms would rattle the place I was renting in Shalimar Florida.

One of my new purchases today. These guys remind me of The Allman Brothers Band and Steve Earle. They sound like Summer.

Blackberry Smoke ~ Find A Light
2018 3 Legged Records 3LG09CD

https://www.discogs.com/Blackberry-Smoke-Find-A-Light/master/1341869
008.jpg

Back
Top Bottom