What PUNK Rock Album Are You Hearing Now !!!

Man, do I love that Luxman! What model is it, and if I rememer correctly you also had a Luxman graphic EQ too underneath the amp?
Such a great and I’m sure amazing sounding system.
- Nick

Thanks Nick! It’s a Luxman L-480 Integrated Amp, circa ‘82ish and rates for 70 wpc. And yep I have the matching EQ, it’s a G-120A. I dig their equipment. It has pretty much benched my other Amps.

Thanks Nick! It’s a Luxman L-480 Integrated Amp, circa ‘82ish and rates for 70 wpc. And yep I have the matching EQ, it’s a G-120A. I dig their equipment. It has pretty much benched my other Amps.
Everything Luxman I’ve ever seen has been of such high quality. Even something as simple as pushing a button or turning a knob on one is a joy. Just so smooth. I stupidly sold a very nice Luxman cassette deck many years ago, and I regret it to this day.
On a totally separate note, I was so very glad to see “What Punk Rock Album are You Hearing Now”. I know punk rock is usually (and I could be wrong, but I doubt it) frowned upon by the audiophile community, but I grew up as a skater kid, and listened to punk rock and read “Thrasher” magazine. A lot of those old records were recorded so crudely, but it causes you to really be able to hear the true sound of the instruments on a good amount of it. I go back and listen to these old records and enjoy them more than ever now.
Just another reason I really dig AK, is that it seems like anything goes, and no one gets shit for it.
- Nick

A natural progression from Minor Threat is Fugazi. For those who weren’t aware, both bands were/are fronted by Ian MacKaye, who is also the owner of Dischord Records, the label behind both Minor Threat & Fugazi to this day.
This particular record by Fugazi, “Steady Diet of Nothing”, was produced and engineered extremely well in ‘91 and sounds phenomenal.

C12E3412-337F-41A6-9063-FC1D43CB85CC.jpeg

Everything Luxman I’ve ever seen has been of such high quality. Even something as simple as pushing a button or turning a knob on one is a joy. Just so smooth. I stupidly sold a very nice Luxman cassette deck many years ago, and I regret it to this day.
On a totally separate note, I was so very glad to see “What Punk Rock Album are You Hearing Now”. I know punk rock is usually (and I could be wrong, but I doubt it) frowned upon by the audiophile community, but I grew up as a skater kid, and listened to punk rock and read “Thrasher” magazine. A lot of those old records were recorded so crudely, but it causes you to really be able to hear the true sound of the instruments on a good amount of it. I go back and listen to these old records and enjoy them more than ever now.
Just another reason I really dig AK, is that it seems like anything goes, and no one gets shit for it.
- Nick

My Lux gear is middle of the road for Luxman and that’s being generous. But you about nailed the description. Controls like butter and minimalistic but nicely designed aesthetics in general. The phono stage is also something special IMO. I actively looked for over a year til I found this one at a decent price and serviced already. Found it on CL so I could even check it out before I pulled the trigger. Bought it from a retired tech who cleaned, re-spec’d it and replaced all the LEDs. He said he got it from the original owner who only ever used it for the preamp section. The EQ was a different deal months later, non functional and cosmetically challenged but I took a chance at a dirt cheap price and now it’s functioning perfectly with just one small blemish I couldn’t correct. Thinking I got pretty lucky.

Cheers,

Fuzz

My Lux gear is middle of the road for Luxman and that’s being generous. But you about nailed the description. Controls like butter and minimalistic but nicely designed aesthetics in general. The phono stage is also something special IMO. I actively looked for over a year til I found this one at a decent price and serviced already. Found it on CL so I could even check it out before I pulled the trigger. Bought it from a retired tech who cleaned, re-spec’d it and replaced all the LEDs. He said he got it from the original owner who only ever used it for the preamp section. The EQ was a different deal months later, non functional and cosmetically challenged but I took a chance at a dirt cheap price and now it’s functioning perfectly with just one small blemish I couldn’t correct. Thinking I got pretty lucky.

Cheers,

Fuzz
Your Luxman gear looks very nice to me, but then again, I’m not very familiar with much of their line. I just know any Luxman equipment I’ve ever seen seems very well engineered. That’s cool about the phono stage. It’s hard to find a good one that can load your cart correctly. I’m building an EAR 834p clone phono pre right now.
That’s great to find your L-480 that’d been serviced that you know the history of too. It took me over 2 years to track down my SL1200 M3D in “good” condition from an original owner who wasn’t a DJ. Ugh... Finally found one on CL for VERY cheap. By the time I got there to buy it, he said at least a dozen other people called and offered more. He was luckily a man of his word.
I use a Technics SH8020 24 band graphic EQ too. I know some people think they color the sound too much, but hey whatever gets you great sound for now is fine with me.

Back
Top Bottom