Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

No photos yet, but had a nice haul from my local thrift. Backstory:
I've been going to this small, local thrift store for over 4 years, and I sometimes find some LPs but it's usually other things that my wife and I buy (crock pots, coffee makers, etc). A few weeks ago, the fellow that runs the place (it's a charity shop) took my number in case any LPs came in (he knows I'm always looking for older, REAL country music, plus late 70s rock). Well, yesterday AM I get a call, and here's the extent of the message he left on my VM:

"Hey, it's Donald from your (redacted) thrift store, uh, we just got in a ton of records. You might want to bring a pickup truck. There are 5 boxes, maybe [someone yells something in the background]....sorry, SEVEN boxes, each box has about 100 records, may--[someone yells again] each box has almost 150 records? [long pause] .....[mumbling between the two of them] so, it looks like we have probably 800 records here, and I will leave them where they are in our back room area if you'd like to come and pick what you want. I should reiterate that you may need a pickup truck."

Needless to say, I headed up there and went through all that they got in. It was really fun, and after I had removed what I wanted (and I was constantly encouraged to "take more, PLEASE") I went through each LP, checked for correctness, damage, inserted them all into their sleeves the proper way, and tidied them all up into categories as best I could. Don introduced to the fellow workers as "our Record Volunteer Guy for the day". After 4 hours or so going through all of them, I wound up with about 175 LPs (for $48). I wasn't able to bring them home yesterday (rode my bike over there), so I head back today to get some of them (walking there today) and the rest tomorrow (when my wife is home so I can use the car). The one that really sticks with me was a still in shrink zipper cover copy of "Sticky Fingers".

Seems this was a collection of some sort, and mixed in were a few damaged LPs and maybe someone else's stuff. But the majority of the LPs, probably 500 or so, were all still in shrink and looked to have had minimal play. I'm guessing they were owned by someone who transferred them to tape and then listened to that instead of the record. The curious part of it was that there were about 30 Beatles records, but no Beatles jackets (???). Just the LP in a generic clear plastic sleeve. I did find 2 jackets, but they were so damaged as to be almost unrecognizable. I told Don that they would most likely still sell to someone who wanted a good copy for listening (most were on the orange Capitol label).

All in all, a really great record day. Photos to follow!

No photos yet, but had a nice haul from my local thrift. Backstory:
I've been going to this small, local thrift store for over 4 years, and I sometimes find some LPs but it's usually other things that my wife and I buy (crock pots, coffee makers, etc). A few weeks ago, the fellow that runs the place (it's a charity shop) took my number in case any LPs came in (he knows I'm always looking for older, REAL country music, plus late 70s rock). Well, yesterday AM I get a call, and here's the extent of the message he left on my VM:

"Hey, it's Donald from your (redacted) thrift store, uh, we just got in a ton of records. You might want to bring a pickup truck. There are 5 boxes, maybe [someone yells something in the background]....sorry, SEVEN boxes, each box has about 100 records, may--[someone yells again] each box has almost 150 records? [long pause] .....[mumbling between the two of them] so, it looks like we have probably 800 records here, and I will leave them where they are in our back room area if you'd like to come and pick what you want. I should reiterate that you may need a pickup truck."

Needless to say, I headed up there and went through all that they got in. It was really fun, and after I had removed what I wanted (and I was constantly encouraged to "take more, PLEASE") I went through each LP, checked for correctness, damage, inserted them all into their sleeves the proper way, and tidied them all up into categories as best I could. Don introduced to the fellow workers as "our Record Volunteer Guy for the day". After 4 hours or so going through all of them, I wound up with about 175 LPs (for $48). I wasn't able to bring them home yesterday (rode my bike over there), so I head back today to get some of them (walking there today) and the rest tomorrow (when my wife is home so I can use the car). The one that really sticks with me was a still in shrink zipper cover copy of "Sticky Fingers".

Seems this was a collection of some sort, and mixed in were a few damaged LPs and maybe someone else's stuff. But the majority of the LPs, probably 500 or so, were all still in shrink and looked to have had minimal play. I'm guessing they were owned by someone who transferred them to tape and then listened to that instead of the record. The curious part of it was that there were about 30 Beatles records, but no Beatles jackets (???). Just the LP in a generic clear plastic sleeve. I did find 2 jackets, but they were so damaged as to be almost unrecognizable. I told Don that they would most likely still sell to someone who wanted a good copy for listening (most were on the orange Capitol label).

All in all, a really great record day. Photos to follow!

:lurk:

These are some of the LPs I brought home today, heading back tomorrow for the rest.
EDIT: The "Shades of Deep Purple" LP is a first pressing on Tetragrammaton (?) label and is pretty much mint. I was shocked when I pulled that one out!
DSCF3583.JPGDSCF3584.JPGDSCF3585.JPGDSCF3586.JPG

The Zep LPs are the most worn of all of them, and they'd still grade a VG-.
The Zappa stuff is like brand new, still has the paper dust bits on the LPs (and both double LPs are Sterling "RL").
The Stones LPs, save for "Goat's Head Soup", all are in excellent shape. The "Sticky Fingers" LP still hasn't had the "belt buckle" punched out (the cover is still mostly in shrink, no one has had the zipper all the way down yet)
The Hendrix stuff is worn like the Zep stuff.
The Muddy Waters LPs are gorgeous!!
Rest of them would easily grade a VG+ if not better.

Last edited:
These are some of the LPs I brought home today, heading back tomorrow for the rest.
EDIT: The "Shades of Deep Purple" LP is a first pressing on Tetragrammaton (?) label and is pretty much mint. I was shocked when I pulled that one out!
View attachment 1211156View attachment 1211157View attachment 1211158View attachment 1211159

The Zep LPs are the most worn of all of them, and they'd still grade a VG-.
The Zappa stuff is like brand new, still has the paper dust bits on the LPs (and both double LPs are Sterling "RL").
The Stones LPs, save for "Goat's Head Soup", all are in excellent shape. The "Sticky Fingers" LP still hasn't had the "belt buckle" punched out (the cover is still mostly in shrink, no one has had the zipper all the way down yet)
The Hendrix stuff is worn like the Zep stuff.
The Muddy Waters LPs are gorgeous!!
Rest of them would easily grade a VG+ if not better.
There were a couple of times I pulled out a haul like that from a thrift.Its been a long time though.Nothing even close to that anymore.

There were a couple of times I pulled out a haul like that from a thrift.Its been a long time though.Nothing even close to that anymore.

This haul is indeed an anomaly. The closest I ever got to this was finding like 12 really nice LPs (DSOTM, Eagles, Who and Doors) about 3 years ago. Otherwise, it's a few here and a few there.
This one felt good, too, as I was also volunteering my time to get their record donation straightened out (something they had no time to do) and putting them into some semblance of order, genre-wise. It was well worth the 4+ hours I spent, and I got to meet some great folks, too.

Did I really need (another) DVD-player? No. Absolutely not. But.... I mean: look at this!

Sexy_1.jpg

Sexy_2.jpg

Sexy_3.jpg

Last edited:
Found a few today. The songs that made Elvis famous is a sealed import from Holland. Sgt. Pepper is G probably but the sticker on the plastic says it books for 150 so cha-ching!:thumbsup: ( this is sarcasm) :) . Very little info on the monkey time lp. Discogs has a few for sale and it says its soul and r and b so it was worth the risk for .50 cents.
20180614_170025.jpg

Yamaha RX-V559 from the Goodwill on-line auction site. $24, including shipping by FedEx, no remote. Works well. It was shipped in a box that barely held the receiver. What little space around the receiver was filled with styrofoam peanuts. Miraculously, there was no shipping damage. The box was in good shape, as was the receiver (except one of the feet was busted off - easy fix).

Yamaha RX-V559 IMG_0379 small.JPG

In today's journeys, I found movie soundtracks for Disney's Frozen and Space Jam.

I also found a 2TB Western Digital My Book for $10 that appeared to fire right up after a productive visit with a disk management tool and formatting.

I couldn't help but notice what appears to be 1.5TB of space that I can't allocate on the drive in the utility, makes me wonder what kind of drive is really in there... may crack it open just to see.

In today's journeys, I found movie soundtracks for Disney's Frozen and Space Jam.

I also found a 2TB Western Digital My Book for $10 that appeared to fire right up after a productive visit with a disk management tool and formatting.

I couldn't help but notice what appears to be 1.5TB of space that I can't allocate on the drive in the utility, makes me wonder what kind of drive is really in there... may crack it open just to see.
A faulty one would be my suspicion.

Back
Top Bottom