What is your preferred way of connecting your digital files to your hi-fi system?

As far as my computer files, music players, Youtube vids and all sound coming from my computer I go WiFi. I use a Audioengine D2, 24 bit WiFi DAC. It can be used just for it's WiFi if you have a better stand alone DAC or use the DAC it has. It's small and can you can move the transmitter to other things you might want to send to your system, CDP or a TV. You can also add up to 3 receivers and run different rooms from the same transmitter and source.

In the living room I have a HTPC laptop connected to a Marantz receiver by HDMI.
In my bedroom: USB on Raspberry Pi with HifiBerry Digi+ ==> Coaxial ==> DAC ==> Tape Control Center ==> whichever output I want (Headphone Amp or Integrated Amp, but maybe soon a Yamaha receiver as well).

The one that gets the most use is a hard drive(with mostly FLAC files) plugged into a computer, and accessed wirelessly on an Apple device with either the FileBrowser app, or the MusicStreamer app.

At some point I plan on getting around to trying out the Pi solution.

In my pole barn I have an old Windows XP PC hooked to a Behringer UCA222 that feeds the tape in of an old receiver. The UCA222 is USB to RCA.
Previously I used whatever the best junk sound card I could find was and plugged it in via a 3.5 mm audio out to RCA jack.
The UCA222 is only $30 and made a HUGE difference in sound quality, even on the junk system in the shop; Sherwood receiver feeding old Kenwood 3 ways.

Everything in the System expect the UCA222 was literally picked up off of the curb. The receiver needed deoxit, but worked. The speakers have some swollen particle board bases on the cabinets, and some of the domes are pushed in, but they work also and I never feel bad about covering everyting in saw dust, over-spray, or rocking them when its -5F.

I run Logitech Media Server (LMS) on a desktop computer (which also houses all of my digital music), and use Chromecast Audio units (one plugged directly into amp in the garage, and one running through a cheap Fiio DAC in my main system) to stream via WiFi. There is an add-in for LMS that lets the CCA's function as Squeezebox players. Works perfectly for my needs, which is playing my own music as well as internet radio.

Audio files (lossless) are stored on a 2TB NAS drive. JRiver on my PC provides the GUI and controls music, playlists etc which is being fed from the NAS direct to a Raspberry PI3b which is also running JRiver. All connections through Ethernet. The Raspberry then feeds the stream to a Schiit Multibit DAC via its USB interface. Total cost for the RPI and JRiver is under $100.

After many fits and starts with other systems running from my noisy windows machine this has worked out stellar. Getting JRiver on the Raspberry was simple plug and play as it comes loaded and configured on a micro SD which also has the Linux OS. JRiver maintains the system through manual updates and the little RPi stays up 24/7 and uses something like 4 watts. It is completely reliable, always ready to play and dirt farmer friendly (well almost).

I have a Xonar Essence STX sound card in my Windows 7 PC.

I use high quality audio cable directly from the Xonar's rear RCA jacks straight to my Marantz AUX inputs. Tape 1 or Tape 2 inputs would be fine as well, but I prefer not to use the tape monitor push buttons to avoid any connectivity issues.

The Xonar Essence STX DAC truly gives superb sound, and the Marantz 2270 finishes the job with aplomb. Beautiful sound that usually keeps me in my listening chair a lot longer than I'd planned.

I use 320 kbps or FLAC only, with a separate hard drive in the computer dedicated to music only.

Last edited:
As far as my computer files, music players, Youtube vids and all sound coming from my computer I go WiFi. I use a Audioengine D2, 24 bit WiFi DAC. It can be used just for it's WiFi if you have a better stand alone DAC or use the DAC it has. It's small and can you can move the transmitter to other things you might want to send to your system, CDP or a TV. You can also add up to 3 receivers and run different rooms from the same transmitter and source.
How the two units connect between each other/stream files if not through the local wifi?

How the two units connect between each other/stream files if not through the local wifi?
CAT6

urendu_sm.jpg

Squeezebox touch through NAD D1050 DAC, touch and Topping D30 DAC in another room and touch through cheap Ebay DAC board in the garage

Back
Top Bottom