JICO SAS UPDATE...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does that help me? They publish nothing, and their official distributor publishes specs I can't trust. Hence, my frustration.

I'm sorry that you are having a hard time with all of this. Just buy a brand new cartridge and have a qualified turntable shop set it up for you. That should help you.

This is a thread about JICO though...

I bought a JICO SAS stylus for my M91ED a few years ago and was really impressed with the performance. I picked up a backup when the price increases were announced - but not yet implemented. About a year later, JICO pulled them from their site.

A few months afterward, I was looking at their site on a whim. I noticed that there were still SAS styli available. I bought a JICO SAS for my Shure V15LT (I think it's the N35SAS). I wasn't sure that it was the right stylus for my cartridge, but it fit nicely and sounds wonderful. But now I don't have access to another for backup purposes. While this isn't an issue for me at the moment, I would like JICO to get the SAS back in stock. The sound quality is remarkable, even if the supply is sporadic.

Once again. LP Tunes is wrong. This a thread about JICO, not LP Tunes.

LPTunes is JICOs official North American distributor. Mentioning them is relevant.

They are also the only ones who publish ANY specs on the JICO products. The problem is, I don't trust those specs, but since JICO publishes NOTHING, I can't even confirm the specs LPTunes publishes are correct, or incorrect. This is the official distributor JICO selected to sell their products. JICO supplies them with products, why can't they supply them with the correct specs for those products as well?

LPTunes is JICOs official North American distributor. Mentioning them is relevant.

They are also the only ones who publish ANY specs on the JICO products. The problem is, I don't trust those specs, but since JICO publishes NOTHING, I can't even confirm the specs LPTunes publishes are correct, or incorrect. This is the official distributor JICO selected to sell their products. JICO supplies them with products, why can't they supply them with the correct specs for those products as well?

What is especially irrelevant are complaints about JICO from members who have never purchased anything from them. It's kind of TROLL-like behavior.

I'm sorry that you are having a hard time with all of this. Just buy a brand new cartridge and have a qualified turntable shop set it up for you. That should help you.

This is a thread about JICO though...

I have bought 4 new cartridges in the last month. I am perfectly capable of setting them up correctly on my turntables.

I already mentioned I am specifically interested in purchasing JICO replacement stylii for two of those new cartridges. I would just like to know what I am buying before I make my purchase. I have no idea why that offends you.

What is especially irrelevant are complaints about JICO from members who have never purchased anything from them. It's kind of TROLL-like behavior.

I am not complaining about the quality of their products. I am complaining about the lack of information - specifically the specs for the products they sell. There is nothing remotely TROLL-like about that. The entire purpose of this forum is the sharing of information.

I have bought 4 new cartridges in the last month. I am perfectly capable of setting them up correctly on my turntables.

I already mentioned I am specifically interested in purchasing JICO replacement stylii for two of those new cartridges. I would just like to know what I am buying before I make my purchase. I have no idea why that offends you.

You'd better have someone qualified to make sure everything is set-up properly. tI's not a bad idea especially if you're frustrated (your word) navigating the needle landscape.

I am not complaining about the quality of their products. I am complaining about the lack of information - specifically the specs for the products they sell. There is nothing remotely TROLL-like about that. The entire purpose of this forum is the sharing of information.

Sharing information? You stated in a previous post that you didn't want to rely on some random stranger on the web for information.

What have you shared with us that is useful?

You'd better have someone qualified to make sure everything is set-up properly. tI's not a bad idea especially if you're frustrated (your word) navigating the needle landscape.

You make too many assumptions. I have successfully installed and properly aligned many cartridges on multiple turntables. I am not frustrated one iota about doing so.

I am frustrated by a lack of information from a supplier whose products I am interested in purchasing, compounded by the fact the the official distributor they selected to sell their products in my domestic market is, apparently, publishing incorrect specs on those products.

Sharing information? You stated in a previous post that you didn't want to rely on some random stranger on the web for information.

What have you shared with us that is useful?

I have shared that the specs for the JICO products on the LPTunes website are incorrect. Some considering purchasing those products may find that information useful.

You make too many assumptions. I have successfully installed and properly aligned many cartridges on multiple turntables. I am not frustrated one iota about doing so.

I am frustrated by a lack of information from a supplier whose products I am interested in purchasing, compounded by the fact the the official distributor they selected to sell their products in my domestic market is, apparently, publishing incorrect specs on those products.

No need to be frustrated, this is a hobby, it should be fun. Or maybe you find it fun to quote me and give no viable rebuttal?

No need to be frustrated, this is a hobby, it should be fun. Or maybe you find it fun to quote me and give no viable rebuttal?

All I am trying to do is find the correct specs on a product I wish to purchase. I have no idea why that offends you so. Your ad-hominem attacks on me have become personal and offensive. Please stop and stick to the topic at hand. No need for the condescending attitude. I have three engineering degrees. I am perfectly capable of properly installing and aligning a cartridge.

All I am trying to do is find the correct specs on a product I wish to purchase. I have no idea why that offends you so. Your ad-hominem attacks on me have become personal and offensive. Please stop and stick to the topic at hand. No need for the condescending attitude. I have three engineering degrees. I am perfectly capable of properly installing and aligning a cartridge.

I'm not attacking you, I'm just putting things in perspective.

This is a thread about JICO but you know nothing about JICO. This is just stating a fact.

Should JICO rebuild their website to cater to us nut-jobs?

Yes--if they are serious about the North American market and fetching premium prices for their premium styli.

JICO, unlike some of the other after-market manufacturers, replicate the originals. The main difference is that all of their ellipticals are .3 x .7 rather than .2 x .7 or .4 x .7. Also, all of their conicals are .6 mil.

The original is a nude, grain-oriented, natural jewelry grade .2 x .7 elliptical diamond. The Jico is a comparatively low grade, dark, bonded, .3 x .7 elliptical that is highly polished and most importantly tracks as well as the D1200 at a slightly higher VTF and sounds spectacular.

"Replication" would involve matching the dimensions, cut, grade/quality, polish and tracking force of the original--this is clearly not the case. Not saying that they do not offer a quality product that performs as or outperforms the originals, but they are clearly not "identical" to the original--if you want original, buy NOS.

Last edited:
Another fact, @MCM_Fan , is that we had a disagreement a couple of years ago and you apparently have not gotten over it. Since then you have been trolling me. A couple months ago I asked you to stop quoting me yet you persisted. The thread finally got shut down. A couple of weeks ago you did the same thing and when I called you on it, insulting your seeming lack of manhood, you reported me to the mods. Now you're doing the same thing AGAIN.

I have made an effort to steer clear of your posts, yet you refuse to return the favor. If you want to keep this up, then please, by all means keep following and/or quoting me for no other reason than to troll me.

Last edited:
If you spend any considerable amount of time listening to original Shure, JICO, EVG, Pfanstiehl, etc., the only after-market needles that consistently sound like the originals are JICO.

I think you missed the point. While JICO's do sound great, they are not replicas. I wouldn't say they sound like the originals in some of the instances I have used them either. But very good sounding? Absolutely.

I think you missed the point. While JICO's do sound great, they are not replicas. I wouldn't say they sound like the originals in some of the instances I have used them either. But very good sounding? Absolutely.

Which JICO needles are you referring to?

"JICO, unlike some of the other after-market manufacturers, replicate the originals. The main difference is that all of their ellipticals are .3 x .7 rather than .2 x .7 or .4 x .7. Also, all of their conicals are .6 mil."

I'm confused. Does Jico "replicate" the styli they reproduce, which is to imply they are identical; or are they all .3 x .7 styli which implies they are not identical (at least not to what was not originally .3 x .7) thus not true replications?:idea:

Oh, and that's just the styli. What of the different technologies that went into the cantilevers? And the suspensions? How close to original is Jico with these factors? (This is a Jico thread so sticking with them). I mean the cantilevers of some classic cartridges were/are sights to behold.

"JICO, unlike some of the other after-market manufacturers, replicate the originals. The main difference is that all of their ellipticals are .3 x .7 rather than .2 x .7 or .4 x .7. Also, all of their conicals are .6 mil."

I'm confused. Does Jico "replicate" the styli they reproduce, which is to imply they are identical; or are they all .3 x .7 styli which implies they are not identical (at least not to what was not originally .3 x .7) thus not true replications?:idea:

That's right, .3 x .7 vs .2 x .7 does not mean they are identical.

What they do is replicate the sound and in some cases, such as the more recent production Shure styli, improve upon them.

This is really nit-picky shit.

Jico is currently the only stylus manufacturer that does an excellent job at manufacturing styli for vintage cartridges. The others, for the most part are cheap knock-offs. The operable word there is "cheap" because that's what people want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom