Current value for Yamaha CR-1020?

DavidinNC

Hello,

I would like to know what a current value would be for Yamaha CR-1020 in good condition?

I've had a CR-820 for almost a year, and found a CR-1020 that is local and in good condition, except for scratches on one side of the cabinet. It seems to play fine so far.

The only CR-1020 I have seen listed locally went for $300. When looking on the auction site, they typically go for $300 and up. Occasionally you can find one for less, but more often than not the more reasonably priced ones have issues. All of the CR-x20 receivers are terrific, but the CR-1020 and 2020 are overpriced these days.

Orverpriced according to what?? Vintage yamaha sell well below other brands of the era. Look at a sansui 8080 with shitty laminate cabinet or a marantz 2270 with metal cabinet where you need to spend another 150 or more for a nice wc-22 cabinet. Hell even a sx-950/980 sell for alot more. Yamaha is a value play IMHO unless were talking 3020!!

For what it's worth I sold mine for $600.

It was cosmetically perfect but had nothing but it's pots and switches cleaned since new.

Thanks

Eric

Good lord that must be a record high sale... It must be nice to sell gear in CA. Fish in a barrel comes to mind!

Prices have doubled or tripled in the last 5 years on most desirable vintage receivers. What we were paying for perfect examples now will buy you a parts unit.

To get one between $200-300 would be good.Like what has been mentioned their not quite the price their equals are but not as low as they were in the not to distant past.

I sold a LONG termer about 2 years ago for 275.00 on the local CL.
The CR line has to be at the top of the list style/appearance wise.
they have an elegant look.

Is it worth going through a 1020 and have them completely re-capped, transistors replaces, power supply restored, etc?

I think a person could do worse.
Are the cosmetics good for you?

weigh it out.
what you have in it plus rebuild cost.

they are very elegant looking pieces.

There is a power supply service bulletin for the CR-1020 and CR-2020 that addresses reliability of the protection circuit. Not difficult, just overheating resistors that need more air space around them.

That seems to be a fair price for a CR-1020, and certainly a good buy compared to the almost identical CR-2020 at the sacrifice of only a few watts. If it sounds good to you, I would hold off on a recap, since you will never recover your investment if someone else does it for you. One thing that is worth doing is to install a triac switch to your on/off switch. The latter is subject to arcing and cannot be replaced. The triac acts as insurance against this happening. It is a cheap mod. I love the sound of Yamahas of this period. Have a CA-410, CA-1010 and CR-2020. Don't let the nay-sayers put you off - Yamaha may not have the sex appeal for collectors that the big Marantz and Sansui have, but for sheer elegance in terms of sound accuracy and visual appeal they are unbeatable.

Is it worth going through a 1020 and have them completely re-capped, transistors replaces, power supply restored, etc?

This is a bit of a dated thread.

But with regard to the cost of recapping, I think there are some considerations you need to make.

- Is the cost of the recap the same/less/more than an equivalent receiver of the era?
- What is the cost of recap to value of the receiver?
- Is this a receiver you want for sound quality or for nostalgia?
- Compare the cost/value of other similar receivers to determine if this is a good investment long term.

As noted, Yamaha receivers often sell for less than other brands. For me personally, while I admire the looks of the Yamaha design aesthetic, I have not found their sound to be on par with other brands. That is a very subjective determination however, only you will be able to make that call by doing your own comparisons.

I would hold off on a recap, since you will never recover your investment if someone else does it for you. Don't let the nay-sayers put you off - Yamaha may not have the sex appeal for collectors that the big Marantz and Sansui have, but for sheer elegance in terms of sound accuracy and visual appeal they are unbeatable.
Not really a fan of the looks of the silver Yamaha, too cold for me but that is a personal problem (for those that like the looks) or personal opinion for those that don't want to dis me for that opinion. The recapping of the unit, why must someone recover that investment? I bought gear new back then, enjoyed the hell out of it and sold it for less than the price of admission. I was fine with that. I didn't recover my investment but enjoyed the unit. Don't recap it just to have it recapped to sell unless you do it yourself as a hobby as it is a good bit of work. I just did a CR-820 and it was not cheap, but the owner wanted this unit to be a keeper and that is what he got when I was done. Well worth it but more than the cost of a good one on the bay and recapping it yourself. This is a hobby, not everyone needs to make money enjoying it. Some can just enjoy the music.

Don't get me wrong. I have had some gear recapped even though I knew that it would mean I had WAY more in it than I could ever recover. But I am also not convinced that recapping means a dramatic improvement in sound, and usually prefer to keep my gear as original as possible. But that is an issue that has been debated on other AudioKarma threads.

Thanks for the input. I too really like the look and sound of Yamaha gear. I’ve been slowly getting back into audio and I have a modest budget. Years ago I had a Kenwood KR-9600 but that was stolen while I was deployed. Miss that one quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom