Connect the dots help

Bobr

Ok, adding some components to my system and I need some help with bringing all together.
Pioneer SA9800 Amp
Pioneer TX9800 Tuner
Pioneer SG9500 EQ
Pioneer SR303 Reverb
Pioneer RG2 Dynamic Processor
Pioneer PL514DX Turntable
Yamaha CD player

I want to be able to turn on and off various components at will or have all on.

I've added a drawing here if someone could please do a dot to dot drawing to help me connect it all together I would sincerely appreciate it.
20180614_201954.jpg

Have you looked at the DBX units?
You can add 3 processors and 3 tapes and run them all through the tape in/out on the amp.
The processors can be used in any combination.
Plenty of threads on here about the details.

Ok, adding some components to my system and I need some help with bringing all together.
Pioneer SA9800 Amp
Pioneer TX9800 Tuner
Pioneer SG9500 EQ
Pioneer SR303 Reverb
Pioneer RG2 Dynamic Processor
Pioneer PL514DX Turntable
Yamaha CD player

I want to be able to turn on and off various components at will or have all on.

I've added a drawing here if someone could please do a dot to dot drawing to help me connect it all together I would sincerely appreciate it.
View attachment 1212159
Attached a picture of the back of the amp.

Attachments

• 20180614_192933.jpg
    20180614_192933.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 21
Have you looked at the DBX units?
You can add 3 processors and 3 tapes and run them all through the tape in/out on the amp.
The processors can be used in any combination.
Plenty of threads on here about the details.
So it's like a switchbox?

Or a DBX 200.

No indicator lamps to light so no AC plug. Does the same job as a 400 but they'll be cheaper and probably more plentiful.

TT to phono in
Tuner to tuner in
CD to aux in

EQ/reverb/processor daisy chained from pre out to power in. Use bypass control on the 'toys' to switch out when not needed.

Do not use the pre out power in for the signal processors. The pre out may be a low voltage (for low volume) and the noise level of the units will add up and cause a noisy signal. The proper place for the signal processors is the tape monitor loops.

Others have the basics, so I will only address the EQ, RG and SR.

The EQ may be something you want to use all the time. Put it on Tape 1. You can then plug the SR into the tape in/out on the EQ and the same for the RG into the SR. Select them with the tape switches on the front panel. Tape 1 will give you the signal from these units.

I would probably use the EQ on Tape 1 and put the other two on tape 2 allowing you some more flexibility or just SA front panel switching. It does not matter which is first on the tape 2 input.

This way you can select the eq and if you want the signal processed by everything you use the duplicate. For example, you would duplicate 1>2 and monitor 2 and the signal would go from the input (CD, Tuner, Phono) to the EQ to the other two units. I might use it the other way, doing the RG and SR before the EQ using duplicate 2>1 and monitor 1. This would allow the RG and the SR to operate on a regular non-eq'ed signal probably providing better results.

Don't run the RG to hard or you may get some breathing types of sound in the system. Don't smiley face the EQ just cause it is wrong in so many ways. Reverb, well back when we had a Sansui Reverb hooked up to the system, we called it the ADG, automatic distortion generator and used it very little.

So many ways to hook all that up, just don't use the preamp outputs/power amp inputs, that is just wrong if you have tape monitors and duplicate switches like you do.

So many ways to hook all that up, just don't use the preamp outputs/power amp inputs, that is just wrong if you have tape monitors and duplicate switches like you do.

Hadn't spotted the versatility of tape function available. Yes, the fixed level tape signals is likely to give you a better S/N.

That'll teach me to try not to answer technical questions at 5 in the morning when I can't sleep...

Last edited:
Celebration time. Rockin with some John Mayall.

Attachments

• 20180615_191758.jpg
    20180615_191758.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom