Today's JAZZ playlist

1) 00:00 Fat Mouth 2) 02:58 Theme For A Starlet 3) 05:42 Champs Elysees 4) 08:15 Pretty Little Theme 5) 10:06 Lost In The Night 6) 13:27 Frou Frou 7) 16:48 Cawn Pawn 8) 19:23 Lullaby For Dreamers 9) 22:26 Lady “E” 10) 24:54 Truth 11) 28:03 Day Dream

Chico Hamilton - drums
Eric Dolphy - alto saxophone, bass clarinet, flute Nathan Gershman - cello Dennis Budimir - guitar Ralph Pena (tracks 8 & 11), Wyatt Ruther (tracks 1-7, 9, 10 & 12) - bass

Hey, did you hear the Babs Gonzales tonight? Great stuff. Live at "Small's Paradise" with Johnny Griffin, Clark Terry, Horace Parlan, and Ben Riley. I forgot the bassist.

Edit: Buddy Catlett on bass.
Unfortunately I have to cede the evenings to the tv. I can’t complain though, I have eight daytime hours where I run the system. In the next place, the whole set will be in another room.

Unfortunately I have to cede the evenings to the tv. I can’t complain though, I have eight daytime hours where I run the system. In the next place, the whole set will be in another room.

I understand. I was in the car, and the DJ started playing it. I was listening to WKCR this morning too, when Phil Schaap was playing some of those Dean Benedetti tapes of Bird. That's great that you have a solid 8 hours to listen!

The Blue Note Davis records grew on me, especially the ballads: Yesterdays, How Deep Is The Ocean, It Never Entered My Mind. They're fantastic. And there's lots of other great stuff, too. Generally, when I've read reviews of those records, though, they're typically dismissive about them, which I just don't get. You always have to listen and judge for yourself, really.

I totally agree. Musical taste is just that. It's your personal TASTE. Having someone tell you what you should or should not listen to, for me, seems absurd. It's like saying, "Hey, my favorite food in the world is Lobster. But I hate Steak. You should love Lobster and hate Steak too or you have no class when it comes to food." Nonsense. Everyone is different. Eat what you like, listen to what you like. It's as simple as that.

I take Jazz reviews with a grain of salt. It's the reviewer's opinion. Nothing more. I happen to really like Miles BN recordings. Were they the best he ever did? Not in my OPINION, but they are very good, IN MY OPINION.

In another genre, Johnny Cash had a new album released a few years ago "Out Among the Stars". It was cut in the 80s and never released. I'm not a country fan, but I do like Johnny Cash. Not sure why. Anyway, the critics basically said the album was horrible and that's why it was never released when it was cut. I bought it anyway and to me, it's one of his very best. I absolutely love it. But keep in mind, you could fit what I know about Country Music into a thimble. :) Yet I know what I like to listen to. At least I THINK I do!

I totally agree. Musical taste is just that. It's your personal TASTE. Having someone tell you what you should or should not listen to, for me, seems absurd. It's like saying, "Hey, my favorite food in the world is Lobster. But I hate Steak. You should love Lobster and hate Steak too or you have no class when it comes to food." Nonsense. Everyone is different. Eat what you like, listen to what you like. It's as simple as that.

I take Jazz reviews with a grain of salt. It's the reviewer's opinion. Nothing more. I happen to really like Miles BN recordings. Were they the best he ever did? Not in my OPINION, but they are very good, IN MY OPINION.

In another genre, Johnny Cash had a new album released a few years ago "Out Among the Stars". It was cut in the 80s and never released. I'm not a country fan, but I do like Johnny Cash. Not sure why. Anyway, the critics basically said the album was horrible and that's why it was never released when it was cut. I bought it anyway and to me, it's one of his very best. I absolutely love it. But keep in mind, you could fit what I know about Country Music into a thimble. :) Yet I know what I like to listen to. At least I THINK I do!
I do love a good opinion eloquently expressed...never tire of listening to them...must be the music lover in me...:rflmao:
But yes i do get what you are posting...:thumbsup:

I had an Audio Jones to hear "On My Way to Harlem" by Gregory Porter. I still love that cut. Anyway, here's Mr. Porter;

Gregory Porter - Be Good

51wzqatrMVL._SS500.jpg

et voila;

Interesting live version with Orchestra;

Back
Top Bottom