All those with opposing thumbs, what are your MUST HAVE tools?

Alobar

Addicted Member
Ok, first, lets keep the definition of tools away from things like what plays your vinyl, or anything music, gets you to work, things like that. But tools that help you fix your broken audio or _____ are fine! Basically any tool that gets used to create, or fix things, or help you out in other ways. Tools that you couldn't manage without, or perhaps you don't need it anymore but at one time it was a Godsend. Software can be included if you use it as a tool to create or fix or just get by in life. Just not mundane toaster oven type stuff that everyone takes for granted.

I got the idea for this thread today while I was using my self leveling laser level and thinking of all the stuff I have used this thing for over the years. It has helped me build a boat, I used it many many times building my house, setting cabinets, lining up the roof peak 20 feet up with layouts on the floor (ever try using a plumb bob in even a slight breeze?)..

This one has 5 beams all exactly 90 degrees apart. 3 horizontal, and 2 vertical (up and down), and is quite possibly the most must have tool I own!

Capture.JPG

I have lots of other tools as I make most of my own stuff, so will add some more later..

Counselling?

Guess that leaves me out though ... my thumbs get along fine ...

A set of calipers. Maybe not the ideal tool for all measurements but its good enough for most of the stuff I need to deal with. I have a cheap 8" dial caliper in the garage box, 6" dial calipers on my electronics bench, and my good ones are a 6" vernier caliper that live by the lathe.

Metal lathe, TIG welder, digital calipers and metal brake.

These have really changed my shed and I use them frequently.

I’d also give a nod to ratcheting spammers. They are a revelation!

I thought I was missing out on a tool I didn't know about. Haha.

I couldn't live without my impact driver.

Yeah that’s a good one. I have a small Dewalt 18v that I use mostly but it also reminds me of another indispensable tool:

Dual cylinder belt driven air compressor and air impact driver.

Mine is the Dewalt also. On my second one. I use it that heavily. I also push tools beyond their capability, to be honest.

This one really saved me and I just borrowed it for a couple days.. Drywall lift, had to position 4x8 foot sheets 15' up at the peak! Had to build a crib to hold the sheets at the 5/12 pitch..
Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

Trusty chain saw for heating the house!
Capture1.JPG

Also to make heating the house easier, a 27 ton log splitter. I never had considered one before, always used a splitting maul but my wrists and shoulders were bothering me and my wife went down and bought me one! Now I wouldn't do without it!
Capture3.JPG

Attachments

• Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom