New table, some questions.

Nixxuz

So I picked up a Sony PS-LX2 from a local pawn shop for $25 sans headshell and cart. I'm not goofy enough yet to spend a bunch of money on a pricey headshell for a table like this, but I can now start looking at standard mount carts! "A whooole new Wooorld!" Checked the speed and it's good according to my RPM app on my phone. Few scuffs on the dust cover.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows where a guy can get a set of the "wings". The little clear plastic tabs that sit toward the back of the table and do...well, I honestly have no idea what they do. I wouldn't even know where to look. I do know some weirdo is selling a table with the wings on eBay, and babbling about some Paramore music video that showed them, and wants $300+ for it which makes me laugh.

Also, how does one go about using a P mount to standard adapter? I've never aligned a cart yet. I do have access to a scale to measure tracking weight though. Do I need to BUY a protractor, or can I get away with printing one. Keep in mind, this is a $25 table.

The steps to align the cartridge are still there if you use the p-mount adapter. You should be fine printing a protractor, just make sure your printer prints it to 100% scale (no fit to page). Can't help with your wings question, enjoy your new table.

how does one go about using a P mount to standard adapter?

Insert the p mount cartridge into the adapter and secure it with the screw in the side. From there, treat the cartridge and adapter like a regular cartridge.

pmount_scan.jpg

"Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows where a guy can get a set of the "wings". The little clear plastic tabs that sit toward the back of the table and do...well, I honestly have no idea what they do. I wouldn't even know where to look. I do know some weirdo is selling a table with the wings on eBay, and babbling about some Paramore music video that showed them, and wants $300+ for it which makes me laugh."

Can anyone explain to me what this means?

Oh, I see now...
I wouldn't worry about it, they are indeed disc-centering pegs. Totally unimportant.

$_86.JPG

Many people are afraid to do this, but for the best sound from your P-cartridge, take the pins out of the adapter. Then connect your headshell wires directly to the pins of the P-mount. It's a direct connection for optimum signal transmission, and the adapter's pins (hollow tubes) provide a lousy connection to start with. I've had P-carts go from "Good" to "Wow!" with this simple mod.

Second, glue the cart into the adapter. Adapters have thin, flat plastic sides that resonate and muddy the sound — by making the cartridge-body and adapter a single piece, these distortions are eliminated. You'll need one adapter for each cartridge, of course, and can't use one adapter for several carts any more, but adapters cost so little it's worth it.

So...the PS-LX2 has a non-standard tonearm huh? That's a bummer. Kind of wish I knew that before I ordered a headshell. And, unless I'm wrong, the "mini" connection it uses means any headshell is gonna cost me like $60-$70...

Unless I'm mistaken, this may turn out to NOT be a bargain table.

Edit; upon looking, they aren't available ANYWHERE...great. For all that I hear about buying goddamn vintage stuff, I'm starting to see that it means "Only buy expensive vintage stuff that has only been use once by some retired German gentleman who still has the box and original receipt from 1978".

I think, if I want a standard deck, I'm just going to buy a Fluance RT81 or AT120 and be done with it. This dicking around with weird proprietary bullshit from the 80's is getting to be a pain in the ass when a person doesn't live somewhere with a gear or record shop down the block. Not only do I have to order everything, but it's all non-refundable crap off eBay that may or may not work.

I don't even know if the table works outside of it keeping speed. I could get my hands on a Sony "mini" headshell and in may turn out that something else is wrong with it.

Upon thinking on it, there's possibly a reason that it was so cheap. Why would someone sell a table to a pawn shop and not have a headshell or cart on it? I have to assume the person knew the shell was hard to get a hold of, and pulled it before they sold the deck.

Last edited:
You are right about the head shell if you can find one!!! There are some out there that look the same but the plug diameter is off!!. The plastic head shells are not as good IMO. I have the PS-LX5 and it is good for an automatic for sure. These pieces are out there, and being as you got it cheap you are still under $100. As to the plastic posts they could be made out of anything on a belt sander.

Sigh...why does every company have to reinvent the wheel, and use proprietary bullshit to corner the market? Did Sony REALLY think that everyone would buy their entry level cheap tables and force this mini headshell crap on the rest of the industry?

The "uninersal" headshell is a bit of a misnomer. There are lots of turntables needing ones different than those.

No personal experience with straight arm Sony's but there's probably a good chance other Sony's with a straight arm take that same headshell.

FWIW, send an e-mail to AudioProz in Maryland. They seem to have lots of salvaged bits & pieces on hand. I got a cartridge sled from them (same thing as a headshell only different) that I wanted for a relatively uncommon English turntable. Motor too as a matter of fact. Price was reasonable - less actually than what e-bay vendors wanted for the same items.

I think you expect too much from an old/vintage turntable. None I've gotten on the cheap have ever been plug 'n' play.

By the looks of it, that Sony seems worth having - therefore worth investing some time, effort and (hopefully little) money on.

There are several used 2 channel audio dealers in my area, and I bet dollars to donuts, that Sony would be around $300 on their shelves and it would have the cheapest cartridge available. But then it would be plug 'n' play.

Personally, I enjoy the task of getting turntables back to operational. The only issue I have is getting rid of something I've nurtured back to health.

If all you need is a headshell, count your blessings. They might not be what everyone sells, but they are out there. It's just a matter of diligence.

The one you ordered in error is worth hanging on to - I would. You just may end up with another turntable one day that it will be compatible with.

Last edited:
Indeed. My SO was pretty much, "You like projects right?"
"Yeah, I suppose."
"And you got that soldering iron and all that goofy stuff because you wanted to fix old audio stuff right?"
"Yes dear."
"Well then realize you have another project to look forward to and shut up."

I put my name on the wait list at Turntableneedles.com. And there is one on that auction site, but they want $100 for it with shipping.

Tomorrow, I intend to visit a turntable restoration and repair shop nearby to where I'll be working to get a stylus looked at. For the heck of it, I'll ask if one of those Sony headshells happens to kicking around.

No luck at that shop today. The owner knows those Sony's but did say they are uncommon.

I'd keep checking e-bay.

Since you are a subscriber, I assume you placed a WTB ad on BT?

Don't know how they came across the ads, but two people I know found the unobtainable on other city's CL - cities quite far from them.

Could also troll other forums too.

Back
Top Bottom