Today's JAZZ playlist

Nice pickups.:thumbsup: I wen't downstairs today and found some new stuff as well. Now I just gotta get these cleaned up for the weekend.
95MkVjt.jpg

Nothing like finding albums you have not listened to yet handing around in the house, eh? That's like finding $50 in an old suit hanging in your closet. Nice.

I totally agree. Musical taste is just that. It's your personal TASTE. Having someone tell you what you should or should not listen to, for me, seems absurd. It's like saying, "Hey, my favorite food in the world is Lobster. But I hate Steak. You should love Lobster and hate Steak too or you have no class when it comes to food." Nonsense. Everyone is different. Eat what you like, listen to what you like. It's as simple as that.

I take Jazz reviews with a grain of salt. It's the reviewer's opinion. Nothing more.

I agree of course, BUT I feel that one can educate themselves musically and become more discerning, which can influence what you like. Where a pianist chords, what cymbals a drummer uses as well as the smoothness of his time, is the soloist really saying something or just showing off some technique, things like that.

And I agree with your statement about jazz reviewers! You can even take them with a salt shaker, or the amount of salt in the Dead Sea!

I agree of course, BUT I feel that one can educate themselves musically and become more discerning, which can influence what you like. Where a pianist chords, what cymbals a drummer uses as well as the smoothness of his time, is the soloist really saying something or just showing off some technique, things like that.

And I agree with your statement about jazz reviewers! You can even take them with a salt shaker, or the amount of salt in the Dead Sea!

As a late teen and even into my early 20s, I took reviewer's opinions as gospel. Truly. If I read in one of the Jazz mags that XYZ album was no good, I would not buy it. Period. I remember reading a review by Miles Davis of Eric Dolphy's playing where Miles just shreaded Dolphy's talent as a musician, so for years I would not even listen to Dolphy. Hey, that was MILES' Opinion. But as a late teen, I took it to heart. Of course, back then, you couldn't exactly try it out before you bought it, unless your record store was playing it or had a listening booth to listen before you bought. But obviously you are correct, sir. One can indeed educate himself and become more discerning.

As a late teen and even into my early 20s, I took reviewer's opinions as gospel. Truly. If I read in one of the Jazz mags that XYZ album was no good, I would not buy it. Period. I remember reading a review by Miles Davis of Eric Dolphy's playing where Miles just shreaded Dolphy's talent as a musician, so for years I would not even listen to Dolphy. Hey, that was MILES' Opinion. But as a late teen, I took it to heart. Of course, back then, you couldn't exactly try it out before you bought it, unless your record store was playing it or had a listening booth to listen before you bought. But obviously you are correct, sir. One can indeed educate himself and become more discerning.

And it's important to remember that the musicians themselves are human beings. You don't have to agree with everything they say. They've got different opinions. And they also don't all get along with each other.

And it's important to remember that the musicians themselves are human beings. You don't have to agree with everything they say. They've got different opinions. And they also don't all get along with each other.

Heck yes. With Miles stabbing comments about Eric Dolphy's talent (or lack thereof) as a musician, you have to wonder if there wasn't some animosity there.

Nice pickups.:thumbsup: I wen't downstairs today and found some new stuff as well. Now I just gotta get these cleaned up for the weekend.
95MkVjt.jpg

Nice lot to clean and hear.
I had a basement flood last summer. Have not setup cleaner since. So a bin of about a 80-100 backlog to do in a Spinclean etc. Drudgery at 5-10 minutes each, ive put off. Best to do five at a time. And the vac noise.

Last edited:
Ive been enduring his jokes this morning.

That quickly became his trademark. Mr. Corny Jokes. Ah, no biggie for me. I like his Jazz selections, and it's not like he does nothing but tell corny jokes. Plus I enjoy his trivia questions. I never look them up online. I try and guess. I haven't called Alan in a very long time. I may have to do that in the next month or two when my schedule calms down a bit.

"Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas", one of my favorite books! Thompson also wrote one on the 1972 presidential election that was great.
Fear And Loathing On The Campaign Trail

He had a hysterically funny, burning white-hot hatred of Richard Nixon; Thompson firmly believed McGovern could get elected if his campaign would photograph him on the beach, sitting in a lawn chair and wearing a Grateful Dead t-shirt with a can of beer in his hand.

It was a different time back then, jgannon, and NOBODY described the era better than HST.

That quickly became his trademark. Mr. Corny Jokes. Ah, no biggie for me. I like his Jazz selections, and it's not like he does nothing but tell corny jokes. Plus I enjoy his trivia questions. I never look them up online. I try and guess. I haven't called Alan in a very long time. I may have to do that in the next month or two when my schedule calms down a bit.

I do like his show and music selections. Just poking fun at his jokes.

I do like his show and music selections. Just poking fun at his jokes.

I know. I do the same. Some of them are really corny. The guy that follows Alan Rock, Jack Simpson, with his show "Jazz on the Beach", is also stellar. I may have to call it a day and listen to Jack's show as well. The last month or so has been "encore" shows from Jack. Jack is really up there in age, so I hope he's OK. Perhaps today will be a live show.

I know. I do the same. Some of them are really corny. The guy that follows Alan Rock, Jack Simpson, with his show "Jazz on the Beach", is also stellar. I may have to call it a day and listen to Jack's show as well. The last month or so has been "encore" shows from Jack. Jack is really up there in age, so I hope he's OK. Perhaps today will be a live show.

I've also stayed tuned. Didnt hear the intro. Maybe he is just getting out of Florida heat.
Its an outstanding station overall.
Nevermind, Alans show is still is on.

Fear And Loathing On The Campaign Trail

He had a hysterically funny, burning white-hot hatred of Richard Nixon; Thompson firmly believed McGovern could get elected if his campaign would photograph him on the beach, sitting in a lawn chair and wearing a Grateful Dead t-shirt with a can of beer in his hand.

It was a different time back then, jgannon, and NOBODY described the era better than HST.

Tom Wolfe was also a brilliant observer of the scene, in general.

Yeah I don't know if there was any animosity between Miles and Dolphy. I do know that Miles wanted to replace Duke Jordan with John Lewis in Charlie Parker's quintet.

The comments by Miles in the article I read (in Downbeat?) sounded like there may have been some animosity. They were playing a game with Miles where they'd play a cut of an artist and Miles had to identify the artist and then discuss the artist. They got to Dolphy an Miiles said something like, "That has to be Eric Dolphy. Nobody else can play THAT bad. Next time I see him I'm going to step on his foot. You print that!" Something like that. I know Miles was not one to hold back on comments, but sheesh. That's really putting it out there how much disregard you have for a fellow musician.

I've also stayed tuned. Didnt hear the intro. Maybe he is just getting out of Florida heat.
Its an outstanding station overall.
Nevermind, Alans show is still is on.

Yep. Alan is on 8-12 eastern. Jack is on 12-3. Heck, I remember listening to Jack in the beginning of streaming. 1997 ish? Jack's been at that station for a long time I think.

Back
Top Bottom