Best DAC with Streaming under $300?

bane.oh

Right now I am streaming FLAC files from my laptop running Windows 10 to a Brightplay HD Apt-X Bluetooth receiver. Needless to say, the quality leaves a bit to be desired. I am looking for a way to wirelessly stream hi res files using a DAC with either Bluetooth or WiFi. Additionally I would like a DAC that also has a wired input to connect my PC or a music server in the future. I am just starting to venture in to the world of Hi-Fi digital so any advice is appreciated. Honestly I don't even know if a product that fits those requirements exists, but I thought I'd ask.

SMSL or Topping DAC (several options; take your pick) plus Chromecast Audio. Use optical (TOSLINK) cable between Chromecast Audio "puck" and preamp (amp).

You're really talking about two different components, sometimes bundled into one. DACs simply output an analog signal from a digital input. The other side is a renderer which accepts network input via ethernet or WiFi the content (usually via a smartphone app) and sends the digital stream to a DAC.

PAGS offered the least expensive option. You could meet your budget by stepping up to a Raspberry PI based solution which offers more flexibility and can be upgraded for higher sound quality.

Last edited:
check out the Fiio X5 Gen3 DAP. I think you can get it for around $335 or so now. I use the hell out of mine.

You're really talking about two different components, sometimes bundled into one. DACs simply output an analog signal from a digital input. The other side is a renderer which accepts network input via ethernet or WiFi the content (usually via a smartphone app) and sends the digital stream to a DAC.

PAGS offered the least expensive option. You could meet your budget by stepping up to a Raspberry PI based solution which offers more flexibility and can be upgraded for higher sound quality.

I like the idea of chromecast audio and a separate DAC, but that Raspberry Pi Boss DAC sounds pretty cool. Hmmmm. With the Chromecast and external DAC, I can run my computer in to the usb on the DAC and the Chromecast in to the optical. Then I can stream for convenience and use my desktop for the best quality.

Hmmmm. With the Chromecast and external DAC, I can run my computer in to the usb on the DAC and the Chromecast in to the optical. Then I can stream for convenience and use my desktop for the best quality.
Alternately, you could still use an external DAC and use a S/PDIF digital output "Hat" for the RPi which has far less jitter than Toslink/optical. That's the approach I take with the garage system using a modified Music Hall DAC 25.3.

rpi1217.jpg

Last edited:
As others have said - there are several great Raspberry Pi solutions.
HifiBerry Dac+ bundle or Allo Boss Dac bundle with Max2Play or one of the other free music players on the Raspberry Pi. Under $200 bucks.

I use the Raspberry Pi / DigiOne setup as a Roon network player.

Back
Top Bottom