Today's JAZZ playlist

If you are ever in Springfield, Illinois, make a stop at Recycled Records. They have an excellent jazz section on the second floor, and the prices are very reasonable. That makes it worth it, because it's hotter than Hades in there in the summer.

View attachment 1214696

Ooooooooooooohhhh! I love that place, but haven't been there for several years. Before I retired, I attended the annual Water Treatment Operators Conference held in Springfield every fall. For a few years, the venue was the civic center in the middle of downtown, about a block and a half from Recycled Records. People would scoot over there during breaks in the presentations to pore over the bins for fistfuls of somethings they didn't need but couldn't live without. I was guiltier than most on that account.

IMG_20180619_001819.jpg
Joining you for a while, Cliff and I. We are on Flood Monitoring duty for a while overnight.
We had 4" rain in few hours. Been dealing with backwater valve, seepage past. Fortunately, Engineering we did after last years floods has worked, so far!! Got stuff off basement floor incase.

I'll be listening on phone, to WUCF or other if still on air over night. WUCF is broadcastingin we hours.

Last edited:
View attachment 1215696
Joining you for a while, Cliff and I. We are on Flood Monitoring duty for a while overnight.
We had 4" rain in few hours. Been dealing with backwater valve, seepage past. Fortunately, Engineering we did after last years floods has worked, so far!! Got stuff off basement floor incase.

I'll be listening on phone, to WUCF or other if still on air over night. WUCF is broadcastingin we hours.

I know how those overnight vigils can go, having done numerous such watches while working as a water treatment plant supervisor. I won't go into details, it would seem like bragging, just want to commiserate. It's always worse when it's your home that is threatened.

As you should!
My god do I love that album. That and Natty Dread are one of my fav one-two punches of all time. I know they weren't released as such, but for me they just fit together perfectly.

Wasn't Rastaman Vibration originally released with a burlap type cover, for 'rolling' purposes?

I stumbled on an original Catch A Fire, with the Zippo cover, at a garage sale awhile back. Sadly the cover has a bit of water damage, but damn is it cool to have it.

My copy of Rastaman Vibration is illustrated to look like burlap. I really don't know, but that would be awesome.

4fkfH7J.jpg

Those wood grain Xpression tables are gorgeous - I always loved the Mahogany. And of course their 9cc tonearm is one of the best. Must sound glorious.

My copy of Rastaman Vibration is illustrated to look like burlap. I really don't know, but that would be awesome.
Mine, too.
All of my Marley albums(except that Zippo cover) are Canadian pressings, and I think they are mighty fine. finish off the .One of these days I'm going to finish off the set.

wiki had this to say about the original pressing:

• On the inside of the original album jacket, to the right, is a message stating "This album jacket is great for cleaning herb." The original jacket had divots in it which made its texture bumpy.

View attachment 1215696

Oh man, fingers crossed for ya!

Wasn't it you that recently got your basement (re)-finished because of a flood?

Aw! You've got the original "lighter" cover for "Catch a Fire?" I want one of those. So much better than that dopey "huge spliff" revisionist cover they used later...

GJ
Yeah. I found it at a garage sale about a year(?) ago.
A bit of water damage, it was actually a bit damp when I pulled it out, but it survived enough to be nabbed.
I already had a nice copy of the 2nd cover, but the vinyl in this one is also in great shape.

Have you heard the Jamaican mix of it on that deluxe edition from a few years ago? Highly recommended.

With all this Marley digging I forgot I also have Burnin'. No jacket, though.
I think I got it at a Sally Ann with a bunch of others. Somebody must have kept the covers. Good stuff, too. There was a MFSL Sinatra in that batch.

Marley is one of the artists I have the most material by (along with Trane, Sonny, Miles, Art Blakey, Max Roach and Clifford Brown). Something like 35 albums (including Wailers, Bob Marley and, Studio One comps, etc.). Nowhere near what's been produced/available, but still a lot from one artist or group for my collection. His talent fascinates me.

GJ
For sure.
I don't think I have that many, but I have a lot.
I'll be on the record to the day I die that Songs Of Freedom is one of the best box sets ever.

Back
Top Bottom