Best Vintage pioneer speakers?

cbret3500

What are the best vintage pioneer speakers with the richest bass ... My CS-66A and CS-77 are great with high and mid range but they suck with bass...

Never heard the Elite tz-9, but I would love to own a pair. As far as the hpm series goes, I would have to vote for the hpm-1500's! Gee I wonder why?

:scratch2:

I have a pair of CS 77a's and think they sound muddy compared to the HPM 60's and 700's that I also own. Also the CS bass is lacking in comparison. The CS's have 12 in woofers and the HPM's have 10 in woofers. I would have thought the larger drivers would have favored the CS's, but they don't.

The HPM 700's sound slightly better than the 60's, but they have foam surrounds that I had to replace. The 60's have the cloth surrounds that don't go bad.

Well, I can give you a *little* history on the S-1010. My first pair of speakers were a pair of Pioneer S-510s back in ~1982 in Maintz-Kastell, Germany. And there was an AV mega-store for military personnel and dependents (I was a dependent - my dad was in the Army). I saved up lots of paper route, birthday, and Christmas money to buy them. I recall spending about $150 for the pair - a lot for a 13 year old boy. I know that stuff on the military bases was sold far below retail, so I'd be willing to be the fellow paid half (or less) of retail for the S-1010s. BTW, the 510s are similar, but without the radiator and the mid driver was different. The tweeter and woofer are the same. Sad to say I no longer have them. Foam rotted and I chucked them. Wish I knew AK back then :-(

And if you don't want to go vintage, go for these:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/top/product/0,,2076_310069830,00.html

If you have to ask how much they are, they're too much...

Here Pioneer DSS-9 and S-1010 :

s1010pano2xd4.jpg

Darn it Kelly, everytime I see your S-1010s, I want to get mine going! :D

Too many projects on my plate right now to even think about them! :rolleyes:

Scott

A couple pairs of Pioneers I've heard, that probably won't be mentioned are CS-R700 and CS-63DX. Both are probably far from Pioneer's BEST, but both are affordable and sound really good!

A couple pairs of Pioneers I've heard, that probably won't be mentioned are CS-R700 and CS-63DX. Both are probably far from Pioneer's BEST, but both are affordable and sound really good!

I have a pair of the CS-63DX and they match up pretty nice with a Pioneer SX-650. :music:

63DXs

I have several pair of pioneers, wharfdales, advents, and I think the 63DXs are far and way the best of the lot.

Back
Top Bottom