Decided to buy a NP-S2000

dino74

I got a bonus at work today and decide to do something potential stupid. I've always liked the look and build of the NP-S2000 but its limited because it doesn't support MusicCast and/or there's no digital coax in.
71U8CRZWA-L._SL1500_.jpg

But was bored tonite and just read up on its internals. Dual Burr-Brown PCM-1792A DAC. Nice! Read the spec sheet at http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1792a.pdf and its a pretty simple interface, spi control/i2s data. Then I came across some hidef photos at https://www.hifishock.org/gallery/electronics/yamaha/source/music-server/ and saw this one. Its the controller card.
np-s2000-9-yamaha.jpg

The lower left corner connector goes to the DAC board. I see they list the chip select right and chip select left. these must be the SPI control lines. I'm hoping the other ones are the i2s data lines. So I said what the hell and ordered one of the refurbs from Accessories4Less. I'm going to try to connect a SPDIF to i2s board to those pins and see it I can turn this into a usable DAC. Hope this works!

Edit: change i2c to i2s

Last edited:
It's a great unit. I have one and love it. Make sure you update the FW to the latest version if it has not already been done. I think it is 3.10? This document says 3.00, but I know they came out with more after that. You'll need to make sure it is accessing the internet. If you can get Internet radio, then follow this guide and it should update you to the latest. 192KHz....

Attachments

• Yamaha_NPS2000_FirmwareUpdate_Instruction.pdf
    72 KB · Views: 10
BTW welcome to AK!

I typically hang out in the: What are you listening now -and more

Thread
-Blitz

If you can mode it, which is possible, to have selectable "use as external DAC input" or the "internal 2000 functions", I would do that. This unit does FLACS (and MP3) extremely well. As you can see it is built like at tank. Wait to you go to lift it up! LOL.

If you can mode it, which is possible, to have selectable "use as external DAC input" or the "internal 2000 functions", I would do that. This unit does FLACS (and MP3) extremely well. As you can see it is built like at tank. Wait to you go to lift it up! LOL.
It be much harder to keep the existing internal functions. I'm hoping I don't need to de-pop or blue wire any parts, that way I can put the device back to stock mode. All my rooms use MusicCast and its nice that I can link them, so I'd probably use a WXC-50 to this.

It be much harder to keep the existing internal functions. I'm hoping I don't need to de-pop or blue wire any parts, that way I can put the device back to stock mode. All my rooms use MusicCast and its nice that I can link them, so I'd probably use a WXC-50 to this.
Cool! I would be very interested in see pics once you have it all worked out.

I have called Yamaha since 2014 for a service manual. They never made one for this. I always get service manuals. Kind of strange, Yamaha is always on top of their manuals and they are all first rate.

If you some how "magically" come across one, please let me know.

Thanks.

Got the factory "refurbished" unit from Accessories4Less. Bent RCA connector, missing power cord, and missing remote batteries. Doesn't work either :wtf:

image003.jpg

Got the factory "refurbished" unit from Accessories4Less. Bent RCA connector, missing power cord, and missing remote batteries. Doesn't work either :wtf:

View attachment 1216542

That's not so great at all. I didn't think refurbished meant to steal the goodies out of the box and toss the rest down a flight of stairs. Hopefully they'll make good and get you a proper replacement.

Got the replacement unit. Unforunately, it onlys plays 44Khz 16 Bit flac, 24 Bit files don't play. Going to contact Yamaha support for this one.

Finally got something other than 16 bit / 44khz files to play by leaving the unit off for ~30 minutes then playing it as soon as I power it on.
Unfortunately it stops playing after a minute.

So it wasn't working before you tried to mod it? I'm looking into bringing SPDIF into mine. Finally got the schematics.

Yeah, it was broken when I got it. I want to be sure the DAC portion is working before modding it.

I'm still trying to figure out the make of those connectors on the DAC. Would be easier to use a connector than removing the existing one.

np-s2000-5-yamaha.jpg

Back
Top Bottom