Pure Ipod Dock Issue

moviemusic

I have a Pure i20 Ipod dock hooked into my bedroom system, which I love. Unfortunately, it seems to have developed a problem where it will intermittently cut out. It's very unpredictable, but it seems to happen most often after it's been playing a while.

I've swapped out all the other components in the system, and pretty much confirmed it's the dock. My question is: are there any kind of options out there for repair, or am I just out of luck? :( Trying to find a good-quality replacement dock these days seems to be difficult ....

analog out or digital? maybe switch to the other and see if the issue goes away?

jblnut

analog out or digital? maybe switch to the other and see if the issue goes away?

jblnut

That's a good suggestion--and about the only thing I haven't tried so far. Neither of my amps has a coaxial in, so I've ordered a converter--here's hoping it works. Thanks!

NP - mine is still working (fingers crossed) and I sold my spare so when it's gone, that's it.

jblnut

Have you tried cleaning the connector with a little Deoxit? My wife used to use a similar dock and the connector was a PIA to keep clean and working.

I bought her an HTR iStreamer to use with her iPods and have never had a connection issue since.

I've an i20 still going strong. Have had trouble with the Ipod classic. Might check to see if your hd is the problem. I've had mine playing a song and in the middle switch to another song by a different artist:dunno:.

Welp, I got a digital to analog converter AND new digital coaxial cable, hoping that would correct the issue ... and last night, the dang thing starts cutting out again.

At this point, I'm pretty sure it's the dock--I've listened to my Ipod (it's a 4th gen touch) on headphones and on a different Apple dock (also plugged into an amp) with absolutely no problems. I've also swapped out RCA cables and transferred the Pure dock to a different amp and had the exact same problem reoccur, so I'm pretty sure it's not my amp either.

I may have to try the Deoxit and see if that helps--though I'm not holding my breath, given that the dock cuts out regardless of what connections I am using. I welcome any additional suggestions, though!

Try checking the (30) individual dock connection terminals - repeated insertion / removal can 'bend' them to the point that they no longer make good contact.

I've had similar connectors that displayed somewhat analogous problems, but that worked perfectly again after treating them to some Deoxit, and 'tweaking' the various contact terminals using a small sharply pointed pin (under magnification).

Well, I took a good look at the dock and noticed that the plastic housing around the dock connector had cracked/was loose. One careful application of electrical tape and some deoxit later, the problem seems to have disappeared. Here's hoping it stays that way!

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom