Man vs. Beast: CA-2010 restoration project

DaaDaa

Set the controls for the heart of the pun
I intend to document every stage and every issue that arises. I will be recapping and dealing with meter lights at first and go from there. I would also like to do some resurfacing on the wood to make it as shiny as I can.

There is a seller on eBay that sells ca 2010 update.kits out of Bulgaria. He is asking 65 bucks for 56 caps. The kit dis not include the two 22k micro farad caps. Is that a good place to start restoration for a noob like moi? I was thinking of buying that and a can of deox it and go to work.

CA-1010 or CR-1020?

CA-2010

sorry about the typo, it's on account of me being a doofus. it is CA-2010 could a moderator please fix it?

its been picked up and its coming to daddy :D from oregon to eastern PA should be a couple of days :D
i already bought all the caps to recap except the two big ones. i think it is 22k each or something like that.

To me this seems like quite a challenge. The beasts I have let me know when they need feeding. Best of luck to you

so it works but upon more listening not perfectly. likely due to the short in the right channel speaker terminals that lasted few seconds or maybe it was a previous condition but now i see that after several minutes of playing, it makes crackling sounds and one or both channels go out and come back.

so it works but upon more listening not perfectly. likely due to the short in the right channel speaker terminals that lasted few seconds or maybe it was a previous condition but now i see that after several minutes of playing, it makes crackling sounds and one or both channels go out and come back.
Have a real close look at the power supply. Post a clear photo of the two large heatsinked transistors on the power supply board. Its located in the belly of the beast.

finally opened it up, while dirty, seems to be untouched. it actually seems to be slightly easier than A-1 to take apart. in the sense that there is a little more space in there to stick your hand in. imma start with the power supply.
the problems are there also when using the pre pout to another amp so like avionic said, the power supply is the first thing to inspect.

efrryZb.jpg

TbIrlCB.jpg

this is just so clean. i dont see anything even slightly off. just that the board is darkened (scorched) under those two trans D476A and B566A. what is to be done about it?

https://imgur.com/a/1ZwgvQj

the back of the board, thge traces are better than my new amp.

Back
Top Bottom