Songs that stab you right in the heart.

The Heads song called Damage I've Done, it came out at a very bad time in my life and it spoke to me..hard

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another one that hits me hard is Johnny Cash's version of Hurt, written by Trent Revnor

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Hate Me" by Blue October, a song about a recovering addict hits home every time I think of friends I have lost.

"Objects in the rear view mirror" by Meat Loaf, sadly I can identify with each verse.

@Todd Dodds They are sometimes called the Lindsays, shorthand, the way the old Budapest String Quartet would be called the Budapest — though Lindsay is such a common name there could also be a polka band for all I know.

Here is the Adagio. Youtube also has the LP version, but I'd steer you away: for once the CD is far better (bad pressing, surface noise, tape hiss).

It's not just any music and I'd suggest a meditative approach, no distractions, peaceful mind and setting. Also, volume at a realistic level, i.e. the way a small acoustic ensemble would really sound if playing it for you — this can be tricky, because it starts as barely a whisper — but if you turn it up too much to compensate, your windows will shatter a few minutes later. And if you sometimes like to enhance your musical experience, please do.

I couldn't agree more with you about I Shall be Released... and Schubert would have wept, he was that kind of guy...

"When She Smiled at Him" Suzy Bogguss. To me it is the story of my daughter and myself. I had it played for the Father/Daughter dance at the reception. I cried the whole dance and so did she.

Heartwrenching. Usually played in the version for string orchestra, [the Barber Adagio for Strings] began as a string quartet — even more moving because of the intimacy. ...

Barber arranged the adagio movement from his 1936 string quartet for string orchestra at the request of Arturo Toscanini, who gave the premiere in a 1938 NBC Symphony broadcast performance.

In 1967 Barber used the Adagio again for an a cappella vocal work, a setting of the Agnus Dei from the Latin Mass. As you might expect, it's a very moving composition.

Last edited:
Songs that impact us are usually those that trigger personal memories as in your examples. Everyone has at least one or two. I like the songs that trigger no particular memories but are impactful in their own right. A few such songs that immediately come to mind are "Sounds Of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel, "Solitaire" by The Carpenters, "Softly As I Leave You" by Elvis recorded live in Las Vegas, "Aber Heidschi Bumbeidschi" by Bianca, "Precious Lord" by the Blind Boys Of Alabama and "Sleepwalk" by Johnny and Santos.. I'm sure I can think of more if I put my mind to it.

Jane Olivor's cover of Neil Sedaka's "Solitaire" is quite different from Karen Carpenter's, but every bit as moving IMO.

Barber arranged the adagio movement from his 1936 string quartet for string orchestra at the request of Arturo Toscanini...
Thanks Doc, I'd forgotten that. It's hard today to imagine what a force Toscanini was. He was music in America. Millions tuned into his radio broadcasts, for many their first introduction to classical music. It's interesting how his star has waned. But I came from a Klemperer household — my mom was an LA girl when K led the LA Philharmonic, and she idolized him. Such radically different personalities and styles.

Gavin Bryars - Jesus Blood Never Fails Me
...apparently started with a homeless man being recorded in the street.

Back
Top Bottom