Marantz speaker owners???

Marantz HD550 replacement woofers

Just got a pair of HD550's but the woofers in them are not original and one isn't working properly. Anyone know where I can get some reasonably priced originals or suggests any replacements? There are some on the bay at the moment but they want $50 for each plus $60 postage so that's over $200, thought I might be able to get a better pair of new woofers for them for that price. Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers :).

I picked up a pair of dilapidated HD770's about 20 years ago for 30 aus dollabucks and restored them. Had no idea what they were but was looking for a challenge.

They are still in use as my main speakers and have no desire to get rid of them at all.

Rob

Just got a pair of HD550's but the woofers in them are not original and one isn't working properly. Anyone know where I can get some reasonably priced originals or suggests any replacements? There are some on the bay at the moment but they want $50 for each plus $60 postage so that's over $200, thought I might be able to get a better pair of new woofers for them for that price. Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers :).

Hi Corday,

Last 550's I rebuilt I had to replace the drivers on both sides so I used a Medusa bass reflex 200mm. Amazing speakers you'll be hard pressed to overdrive and nicely subtle at low volumes. They fit quite nicely in the freq range and blend sweetly with the existing cross over\speaker setup.

Pity you can't save the originals but hope this helps

Rob

I know this is an old thread. I been looking all over to find someone else who owns a set of the Marantz Model 8 MK II Speakers. I thought I may be the only one left to own a set. I must say these speakers absolutely sound amazing. The crossover board inside looks very good with lots of detail. I'm using a Kenwood eleven G as a receiver. I have yet to use my Sansui G6000. I plan on it soon. The sound is very life like. I traded a pack of records for them. Not sure on the worth in 2015. The woofers are refomed using the correct surround. 1448399882427471060533.jpg

Attachments

• 1448399941972281717487.jpg
    1448399941972281717487.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 35
Yes, old thread- but new to me! :D

I have a set of Imperial 6 speakers. They were an afterthought when I was buying another pair of speakers on CL- the thing that really attracted me was the vomit-green grillecloth (seriously).

These speakers have been my favorite speakers and are probably my 2nd favorite right now. They're voiced much differently than my Rectilinear Highboys- much more bottom end heavy- but in a good way.

I know this is an old thread. I been looking all over to find someone else who owns a set of the Marantz Model 8 MK II Speakers. I thought I may be the only one left to own a set. I must say these speakers absolutely sound amazing. The crossover board inside looks very good with lots of detail. I'm using a Kenwood eleven G as a receiver. I have yet to use my Sansui G6000. I plan on it soon. The sound is very life like. I traded a pack of records for them. Not sure on the worth in 2015. The woofers are refomed using the correct surround. View attachment 653177
Love those beauties. 8 MK II's are pretty rare. 15" speakers for the home were not widely popular In the late 70's .They have the unique advantage of being the ONLY 15" model from the designs by Edmond May. I've only seen two pairs pop up on eBay in the last decade! I have the 7 MK II's and they sound super clean. Valuations for them should be between $200-$300. It'd be more of those cabinets were real walnut veneer and not that pitiful vinyl laminate stuff.

I have 2 sets of mangled Imperial 7's. I've never given them much credit or use. I'm currently trying to clear space and I'm looking at maybe parting them out, or giving them away if I can find anyone local to pick up. I guess one set does have two good blue woofs, that should be attractive as an OEM replacement to the right person, LOL.

Don't part them out. I'm sure a local AKer would love to help you get rid of them.

I almost sold my MKII model 8's. Instead I had my Kenwood Eleven G serviced and figured I would hook them up and hear them how there supposed to be heard. Its been over a week of listening to these, and I'm still very impressed. I don't see getting rid of these for many years. Before that, they were hooked up to ( sorry to even admitt this) a small Sony 5.1 receiver . I couldn't use the receiver with out the subwoofer turned off so the Marantz Speakers never really sounded as they should. Well that sony is in the closet now where it will stay. It was just to get me by until I was able to get the Kenwood going again.

Update: Still rocking with the Marantz Model 8 MKII speakers. I used them with the Kenwoods mentioned above. I also hooked them up to Pioneers SX-950, 1050, and the mighty 1250. I now am using a Sansui G8000. To my ears the Sansui sounds the best. I still haven't found any other pair for sale to date.

Update: Still rocking with the Marantz Model 8 MKII speakers. I used them with the Kenwoods mentioned above. I also hooked them up to Pioneers SX-950, 1050, and the mighty 1250. I now am using a Sansui G8000. To my ears the Sansui sounds the best. I still haven't found any other pair for sale to date.
You won't.....
I've still got my 7MKII's
I'm planning on using them for a garage system in the near future.

Few months back i got this system and they sounds pretty awesome. I love the mellow warm sound of this set up. Marantz LS850 Speakers hooked up to Marantz SR73.
IMG_20170914_081106.jpg IMG_20170914_081115.jpg IMG_20170914_081130.jpg

Just read every post and I think I found only one mention of HD-66 back on page 4. Owned a pair for 12 years. Would never part with them but at my age 73 they are not easy to move. Did Marantz not make many of these?

I use my Imperial 6s every day powered by a 2220B. The synergy is crazy good. I heard Imperial 7s before buying the 6s and I was not that impressed. The 6s are just sublime. I have to admit though that I was very surprised that The Small Advents I picked up a few weeks ago can go toe to toe with the Imperials.....it really shocked me. But for the 2220B the Imperials are absolutely perfect.

25182105_1738688586151081_3489221609267985781_o.jpg

I got a pair of marantz sp1250. I haven't had a chance to listen to them since the woofers are getting new voice coils and surround. What is the sound like? Clean and smooth? I only have a marantz ta-100 for now. I keep finding their new stuff for 90 in the area around me so after a few months I'll get something more high end and modern.

What are your guys thoughts on Imperial vs HD series? I have an opportunity to get a pair of 6-G or HD 660.

I have both Imperial 5s and 6s. The 6s are my favorite speakers hands down. The HD series sound nice for sure but I don't like how they look. The Imperials have more of a vintage vibe that I prefer. Between they I6 and HD 660, no contest the Imperials are the way to go.

I have both Imperial 5s and 6s. The 6s are my favorite speakers hands down. The HD series sound nice for sure but I don't like how they look. The Imperials have more of a vintage vibe that I prefer. Between they I6 and HD 660, no contest the Imperials are the way to go.

Thank you for your opinion. The HD 660 are in great and complete condition. The Imperial 6-G tweeters are dented, one woofer has a crack in the cone, and there are no grills. If I were to keep the 6-G are there any parts and grilles I can get to fully restore it?

Thank you for your opinion. The HD 660 are in great and complete condition. The Imperial 6-G tweeters are dented, one woofer has a crack in the cone, and there are no grills. If I were to keep the 6-G are there any parts and grilles I can get to fully restore it?

I was assuming the condition was the same. Marantz speakers were not huge sellers so parts can be scarce........why not start a new thread asking about the suject? There are a ton of Marantz experts ready to help.

The HD series were designed by former JBL Chief engineer Ed May and are very well regarded. Love my HD-880s especially when paired with the 2325 Receiver. I’ve only heard the 7’s in the Imperial line up paired with a 2225 receiver and they sounded very warm and clear.

Back
Top Bottom