Light color of bulbs in a CR-820

Tchristian

I just replaced the incandescent bulbs in my CR-820 with LEDs. I finally got them working but discovered the guy who sold the LEDs to me as a "kit" specifically designed for the Yamahas sent three 5mm warm white bulbs and a 3mm cool white bulb for the pointer. I asked him if he would send a warm white 3mm and he said he'd send another 5mm warm white (which would be difficult to fit in the space provided on the 820). So I asked him if he could send me 3 cool white 5mm bulbs. He replied that the original build had a different color bulb for the pointer than the meters. I'm not sure how this could be true given they were all incadescent. It sounds like a load of BS to me, but maybe someone who has a better recollection of the 70's can school me.

Here's a transcription of our conversation:
upload_2018-6-25_13-45-49.png

Buying the LED's directly from Mouser is probably cheaper than those so called EBAY kits.

This is what it looks like now

Yikes.

The pointer LED is definitely a coolish white and when combined with the aqua filter you are getting that result. Did you manage to remove the remains of the black/brown tape from the meter assemblies?

The 'kits' sold on eBay should be avoided- they are mostly pre-wired Chinese LEDs being repackaged and sold at a vast profit. Issues being, you really don't know what actual colour temp LEDs you are getting, what current they are running and whether they include appropriate reverse breakdown diodes for AC installations.

The LED projects light forward but since it is in a box the light bounces around all over the place as it makes it way down the dial pointer. Slicing a mm off a couple sides of the LED isn't going to make the light not want to make it to the dial pointer.

I just rebuild an 820, it got light bulbs because:
1) they work
2) they are readily available from the regular source
3) they are a drop in replacement
4) they look right
5) they were easy to replace
6) future replacement is 10-30 years away
7) by then I will be happy to do it again or I won't give a damn.

I hate LED downgrades for lights unless the make the unit look better. Many LEDs are just now getting to that point.

Sorry for your difficulties, but if you do end up shaving a mm off the 5er, take the sides that won't take out the electrical parts.

Dial pointer and meters are suppose to be the same shade of yellowish-green.

I had an extra 5mm LED so I shaved a bit off each side as you suggested. I gently belt sanded two sides and then wet sanded with 500 grit to polish it. Worked a treat! Now I’ve got a proper color scheme. Thanks for all your comments and insight.
The 5mm could have a mm filed off each side and possibly fit.

Attachments

• 9CD2735F-C28D-4062-A897-3F147EAC9308.jpeg
    9CD2735F-C28D-4062-A897-3F147EAC9308.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 36
I had an extra 5mm LED so I shaved a bit off each side as you suggested. I gently belt sanded two sides and then wet sanded with 500 grit to polish it. Worked a treat! Now I’ve got a proper color scheme. Thanks for all your comments and insight.
Looks much better..:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom