A must for Jazz listeners! Art Blakey

Hajidub

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Since I consider myself a Jazz rookie, 2 years into the genre, I'm absorbing like a sponge. While listening to T. Monks Monks Music I pinpointed the drums on that album as spectacular. I noticed it was listed as Art Blakey. Researching him I noticed he had a group called Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. First order was their Caravan album on Riverside reissue (been super happy with every Riverside re I've listened to). Man!!!! What a quality group! The last half of the lead song, Caravan, is Art doing his thing.......utterly amazing! I recommend this album which can be had on Amazon for less than a case of cheap beer.

You have great taste! The Jazz Messengers were pretty much the proving ground for just about every important figure in Jazz for almost 40 years...

The fun part is noticing other players on the Jazz Messengers albums, then tracking down the albums *they* were the leader on (then finding other players on those albums, and so on.) You can quickly get a good feel for entire branches of Jazz. That's pretty cool—

Art was The Man and had the ability to surround himself with remarkable talent. You must check out:

A Night at Birdland-Volume 1 & 2

The Jazz Messengers at The Cafe Bohemia Volume 1 & 2

Unbelievable, driving Hard Bop... an All-Star cast of amazing musicians. HIGHEST recommendations...

This album would be my choice.

R-2362562-1327362406.jpeg.jpg

I like Moanin`
Bennie Gilson lee Morgan, Bobby Timmons Kylie merrit
It's a mix of Gilson and Timmons better compositions.
Timmons had a bluesier feel than the cedar Walton groups and lee Morgan is more soulful than hubbard. The Horace Silver Period is also worth a listen.

I agree about Lee Morgan I Remember when I first heard Him Solo on "Along came Betty' it made my hairs stand up

Talking of Hubbard I have a couple of Cd's By him and can not listen because (Philly Jones) Drummer is far far to busy for me. Ruins it

This is what I miss about not buying Cd's looking for the Backing musicians on the back cover i avoid Philly Jones like the plague.

I agree about Lee Morgan I Remember when I first heard Him Solo on "Along came Betty' it made my hairs stand up

Talking of Hubbard I have a couple of Cd's By him and can not listen because (Philly Jones) Drummer is far far to busy for me. Ruins it

This is what I miss about not buying Cd's looking for the Backing musicians on the back cover i avoid Philly Jones like the plague.
Yikes!
Talk about throwing out the baby with the bath water.

How is Blakey *LESS* busy than Philly Joe?!?!?!? And please explain exactly how Philly is too busy. Some examples to illustrate your point.

This thread prompted me to throw on Hub Tones. Maaaaaan Philly Joe is the baddest!! Bro he gets in the pocket and holds down all kinds of subtlety. Brings it and moves the band with incredible intensity. It must have been such a joy to play with him.

How is Blakey *LESS* busy than Philly Joe?!?!?!? And please explain exactly how Philly is too busy. Some examples to illustrate your point.

I have Freddie Hubbard "Hubcap" and Here to Stay albums i can not listen to, I cant say I wont. because I might one day. its just my personal opinion a personal preference (Hope we are allowed one ) sounds a bit to Keith moon for me personally: Ah well Cant please everyone i guess.

I have Freddie Hubbard "Hubcap" and Here to Stay albums i can not listen to, I cant say I wont. because I might one day. its just my personal opinion a personal preference (Hope we are allowed one ) sounds a bit to Keith moon for me personally: Ah well Cant please everyone i guess.

Of course you can have your opinion. I am engaging you about it. Would love to have this unravel into an interesting conversation. Its a big claim you are making and I am wondering why. As far as your point about Moon... Blakey was waaaay more boombastic than Moon. Blakey was the definition of busy.

Back
Top Bottom