Looking for Headphone recommendation under $1000

Mark 1234

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I am looking for recommendation on a new set of headphones under $1000. I use them with a Pioneer SX-950 receiver and a 1200mk2. I have a pair of MrSpeakers Mad Dog's. I think they sound pretty good but could be a little more open with a touch more bass but not too much more. I listen to mostly classic rock and blues. Thank you!

Sennheizer HD-650’s.....

You can’t improve on perfection !!!

I second the HD-650's, or Massdrop's HD-6XX if there is a drop available. I have a pair and they are quite nice to listen too. The bass is strong and clean, the mids and highs are very nice. Open back so there ambient noise can be an issue, and others can hear your music as well. I also have a pair of Audio Technica M50's which are very nice closed headphones, so better sound isolation. The newer M50x have a detachable and replaceable cable (so do the HD-650's for that matter).

You may not have to spend the full $1,000 to get a great pair of cans. In fact, you could grab both that I mentioned for less than that. :music:

If you're willing to spend $1000 and only intend to use your headphones at home, you have to do yourself a favour and check out the Audeze LCD2 ($995).

I second the Sennheiser HD-600 or HD-650. But your Pioneer SX-950 receiver cannot drive it properly. Use the leftover money for a decent headphone amplifier. The Audio Technica HA-5000 is an excellent headamp, but too expensive at $1200. Some high end HA5000 clone in the $300-400 price range will work very well too.

I second the HD-650's, or Massdrop's HD-6XX if there is a drop available. I have a pair and they are quite nice to listen too. The bass is strong and clean, the mids and highs are very nice. Open back so there ambient noise can be an issue, and others can hear your music as well. I also have a pair of Audio Technica M50's which are very nice closed headphones, so better sound isolation. The newer M50x have a detachable and replaceable cable (so do the HD-650's for that matter).

You may not have to spend the full $1,000 to get a great pair of cans. In fact, you could grab both that I mentioned for less than that. :music:

I have never heard the Senn HD 650 but I do own the HD 600's. I have heard quite a few $1000 plus headphones and taking out the Pioneer SE Master1 Air out of the group, I can't say that any of them is worth the more than double extra cost. There is a new version of the 600/650 out called the HD 660S you may want to look into. I have read that it may use the HD 700 driver in the 600 / 650 frame / ear piece that makes for a flatter response.

I'll have to agree Sennheiser 650. I have heard them, they are quite nice and non fatiguing, which is important, I can remember when Stax earspeakers cost less than $1000. Mine did, but that was so long ago. Of course the amp to to power them was extra and would crush your over all budget.

Thank you all for the comments. I will keep thinking about it. I am really interested in the Mr Speakers Aeon Flow, open or closed. Seems like a lot of people prefer them to the 650's. Also it is interesting how many used pairs of 650's are for sale. I know they sell a ton but why so many for sale? It is rare to see a used Mr Speakers set of cans but they sell a lot fewer I believe?? Has anyone used the 650's with a vintage Marantz or Pioneer. My Mad Dogs are only 50 ohms compaired to the 300 on the 650's but I can barely turn the volume to 1/4 on the SX-950 so would thing they would not need a headphone amp..

Sony MDR V6. Stick some Beyer velour pads on them. No kidding. Invest the difference.

The 650s are extremely popular and many folks will simply buy three different models, compare them and sell two sets.

The 650s are nice and non-fatiguing but they are quite a bit darker than the 600/700 and the historic Sennheiser sound.

To buy them and forget about other options out there, they are a great choice for many. Compared directly to the 600s with new pads with a decent amp, I would never choose the 650s.

Another vote for the Sennheisers. I have been using the HD 600 on my restored SX-950 for several years. Perhaps the 650 or the newer 6xx version from Massdrop is a better match and deal since I have read they have a bit more bass. I certainly wouldn't worry about the SX-950 not being able to drive these cans. Also, you should take into consideration the high level of comfort from these Senns...plus the price point is well below $1,000. Enjoy your search.

I think I will try one of the 650's since they are so cheap. Don't really want to do mass drop since it take so many months to get them. I am going to try on my system some Aeon Flow Closed this week. They did not sound very good in the store with a Firefly Headphone Amp and digital source though. I really wanted to like them since I love my Mad Dogs but we will see.

HD600 user here with a bottlehead s.e.x. 3 amp. If you have any interest in getting into diy, you could get HD600/650's and the s.e.x. amp, plus the experience of building a tube amplifier kit. Win, win, win. Connect it to the tape out on your pioneer till you decide to build a phono pre :)

HD600 user here with a bottlehead s.e.x. 3 amp. If you have any interest in getting into diy, you could get HD600/650's and the s.e.x. amp, plus the experience of building a tube amplifier kit. Win, win, win. Connect it to the tape out on your pioneer till you decide to build a phono pre :)
Very Cool!

My experience with headphones over the past 5 or 6 years seems to indicate a performance plateau around the $600 mark. Real, audible advances are revealed at the $1500 to $2000 mark. The whole $700 - $1200 range seems to be only slightly incremental in improvement compared to the $600 headphones. These are big jumps in cost I know, but the proof is in the listening. Take the time to audition whatever phones you choose for a couple of weeks. What you use for source material and headphone amping are still critical parameters.
Good luck with your search.

I think I will try one of the 650's since they are so cheap. Don't really want to do mass drop since it take so many months to get them.

I think how they do it now is about the first 1,000 units of each drop ship immediately.

I got mine in maybe December or January and it only took a couple weeks.

There is probably nothing more sensitive to user preference in audio equipment than headphones. Personally at under $1K I think the Audeze LCD2.2 are awesome as long as you have an amp that drives planars well.

I am looking for recommendation on a new set of headphones under $1000. I use them with a Pioneer SX-950 receiver and a 1200mk2. I have a pair of MrSpeakers Mad Dog's. I think they sound pretty good but could be a little more open with a touch more bass but not too much more. I listen to mostly classic rock and blues. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom