Songs that stab you right in the heart.

Thanks Doc, I'd forgotten that. It's hard today to imagine what a force Toscanini was. He was music in America. Millions tuned into his radio broadcasts, for many their first introduction to classical music. It's interesting how his star has waned. But I came from a Klemperer household — my mom was an LA girl when K led the LA Philharmonic, and she idolized him. Such radically different personalities and styles.

I'm a big fan of Klemperer's work, too, especially his Brahms and his Mahler. I have yet to find a recording of the Brahms German Requiem that surpasses the one he conducted in 1961 for EMI. That said, my recorded music library has room for a wide range of conductors including Klemperer, Toscanini, Szell, Boult, Stokowski (one of my favorites), Ormandy, and Reiner (another favorite).

Yes, very nice rendition. But what gets me on Karen Carpenter's recording is her deeper voice, wide vocal range treatment and semi-guttural phrasing of some stanzas.

Karen Carpenter had the type of voice that comes along once in a generation, if you're lucky. I'm a huge fan of her vocal work and wouldn't be without her version of "Solitaire." What puts Jane Olivor's version on my must-have list is the intimacy of the performance and the sense of vulnerability that she projects, especially in the choruses. The Carpenters' overdubbing of Karen's voice in the choruses is beautifully done, but it doesn't move me quite as much as Jane's simpler approach does.

I'm in my late 50's and rarely listen to new music. My wife introduced me to a song by Five for Fighting - "100 Years", when it was current. Years later, we played it during her fathers funeral. Still gets to me and her.

From the music of my younger days
"He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother" by The Hollies. What a killer intro and lyrics, just an emotional song.

"Goodbye" by Night Ranger is a song written by Jack Blades for his deceased brother who he didn't get to say goodbye to. One of the lines is
"All this could be just a dream so it seems I was never much good at goodbye"

Unfortunate, that in recent years I've had to get better at saying goodbye.

Mark

"I Don't Care Anymore" by Phil Collins. I was going through a messy breakup in college with my then girlfriend when this song was popular. I used to crank up the volume and sing out loud. Quite cathartic.

"Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" by Elton John

The entire "What's Going On" album by Marvin Gaye. I am still blown away by how this album captured the mood of the early 70's.

I can't believe the responses to this thread. This is the internet at its best; thank you so much for sharing your meaningful songs. Ok, so I'm not the only guy who cries when he hears sad music. That's good to know, and it will be our little secret.

Barber's Adagio for Strings is definitely a killer--I don't know where his emotional content springs from, but that guy understood pain and loss.

I can't believe the responses to this thread. This is the internet at its best; thank you so much for sharing your meaningful songs. Ok, so I'm not the only guy who cries when he hears sad music. That's good to know, and it will be our little secret.

Barber's Adagio for Strings is definitely a killer--I don't know where his emotional content springs from, but that guy understood pain and loss.

It's hard to believe that Barber was only 26 years old when he wrote that adagio movement for his string quartet. The emotional intensity -- the degree of anguish -- that he captured in his music is something that usually requires a lot more life experience than 26 short years.

I'm a big fan of Klemperer's work, too, especially his Brahms and his Mahler. I have yet to find a recording of the Brahms German Requiem that surpasses the one he conducted in 1961 for EMI. That said, my recorded music library has room for a wide range of conductors including Klemperer, Toscanini, Szell, Boult, Stokowski (one of my favorites), Ormandy, and Reiner (another favorite).

Karen Carpenter had the type of voice that comes along once in a generation, if you're lucky. I'm a huge fan of her vocal work and wouldn't be without her version of "Solitaire." What puts Jane Olivor's version on my must-have list is the intimacy of the performance and the sense of vulnerability that she projects, especially in the choruses. The Carpenters' overdubbing of Karen's voice in the choruses is beautifully done, but it doesn't move me quite as much as Jane's simpler approach does.

Yes, I can do without the chorus's in Carpenter's recording and would have preferred a simpler solo rendition.

It's hard to believe that Barber was only 26 years old when he wrote that adagio movement for his string quartet. The emotional intensity -- the degree of anguish -- that he captured in his music is something that usually requires a lot more life experience than 26 short years.
I agree. Well put.

The Night we Met - Lord Huron

Let Her Go - Passenger

Lover, You Should've Come Over - Jeff Buckley

Transatlanticism - Death Cab for Cutie

I will Follow You into the Dark - Death Cab for Cutie

My older brother by four years mentored me in the ways of music, women, cars, peace, love, and understanding, and everything else a budding teenager needs to know. When I was 16 we lost him when a car he was working on fell off the stands. Shortly afterwards Pink Floyd released the Wish You Were Here LP. 40 some years later the title track still hits me hard.

Geez, I didn't mean to downer this awesome thread with that story about my brother. There's been a lot of songs posted that ring familiar to me as far as stirring something inside. One of these days when the mood arises I plan to run through the list. Since Mr. Bojangles was brought up, how about this one from JJW? (Still picture but best audio)

Back
Top Bottom