What CD Player Do You Use?

im in the market for a good unit. Thinking I want to spend roughly 800.00/1000.00 open to suggestions. Please tell us why you use specific units?

Example regarding my above post, that purchase was simple, my friend told me it was a decent unit, and he was right.

Now I'd like to make an intellectual/ informed purchase. My daughter counted my CDs right at a thousand, from the day. I seem to think,they sound rather decent on good equipment.

Dirk

im in the market for a good unit. Thinking I want to spend roughly 800.00/1000.00 open to suggestions. Please tell us why you use specific units?

Example regarding my above post, that purchase was simple, my friend told me it was a decent unit, and he was right.

Now I'd like to make an intellectual/ informed purchase. My daughter counted my CDs right at a thousand, from the day. I seem to think,they sound rather decent on good equipment.

Dirk

In my opinion, for $1000, I would go for a CD transport and an external DAC. That way, you can try different DACs or upgrade while keeping your investment in the transport. Also, best to be able to test out the CD player/DAC in your system with your interconnects and speakers, etc. Technically they should all sound the same, but I like the sound of the McIntosh CD player better than others. My latest acquisition is the Adcom GCD-750, and suddenly, the voice of the singer is further back than what I was used to. Little nuances like that are hard to describe but noticeable. Some will put the vocals more forward, and this is without changing anything except the CD player. Each one has its own character, I guess.

Sony NS9100ES
SONY NS9100ES 2.JPG
I highly recommend finding one of these. It redefined my CD's so much I heard things I hadn't before in songs I've known for decades. Really it's a $1300 DVD-SACD player from 2008 I got last year for $320 CDN funds in Toronto at a dealer. Nice thick brushed aluminium face and gold plated RCA jacks on the back too. It has a feature I haven't seen elsewhere yet - turn off display entirely while running.

Last edited:
Agreed. And I am working out the details, so I’m not screwed for the deal here. If I can, I’ll just put this in a bin for a later date when I’m not so busy and sort it out then. Can’t be too difficult, something isn’t filtering a noise seems to be the main issue. Plus the two drawer belts.
Well all fixed. There were so many little things, from a loose connection to a power supply to one new cap with a leg lifted, causing the weird squiggle noise in the one channel. The belts are in and only the drawer bump stop has to be adjusted, it seems a little rough at the end of the closing sequence.
This is one hell of a player with the newer op amps and the Burson power supply upgrades.
A2789B8A-4B76-4A17-B5C0-838826DBDEB9.jpeg FC66AA30-3322-4FF3-8827-EC17FB9F65FE.jpeg

Last edited:
In my opinion, for $1000, I would go for a CD transport and an external DAC. That way, you can try different DACs or upgrade while keeping your investment in the transport. Also, best to be able to test out the CD player/DAC in your system with your interconnects and speakers, etc. Technically they should all sound the same, but I like the sound of the McIntosh CD player better than others. My latest acquisition is the Adcom GCD-750, and suddenly, the voice of the singer is further back than what I was used to. Little nuances like that are hard to describe but noticeable. Some will put the vocals more forward, and this is without changing anything except the CD player. Each one has its own character, I guess.

Appriciate your input gents. My currant units dying, so I need to figure out exactly what I'm going to do.

Dirk

usually i use a panasonic dvd s47 , despite he is a dvd player, sounds fantastic even with burned pc discs......

jhg1fo.jpg

but , when i listen classic cd s i always prefer technics sl p 555..........

2l9iqls.jpg

i remember first cd player i saw in 1991 i think at o local radio station.....big , cd enters like a casette , at that time it looks like crap to me because my eyes were following an AIWA deck.............now i wish one , but they are too damn expensive and rare ......TOSHIBA XR Z90

2a9adqc.jpg

wlcgh4.jpg

I have 2 of them and you're right on all fronts.

R1
Thanks - and that's great you have two. Now you have me thinking about picking up another - on that auction website, I see recent history has some sold for not so out of this world prices... hmmm....

Back
Top Bottom